Google Pixel, Google Home, Pixel Buds, Chromebook, Pixel Slate, Daydream VR, Nest, Waymo… these are just a few of the tangible products that come from the Alphabet company, Google’s parent. A lot of them tie in Google’s services, and make use of skilled industrial designers who capture the company’s fun-yet-superior avatar and signature usability and bring them to the product domain. Google’s Pixel is remarkable to look at, the Google Home device’s fabric clad makes it a wonderful piece of decor, and Google’s Chromebooks are increasingly becoming popular in schools. Google’s hardware beautifully complements its software and results in a product that holistically looks at the tangible and intangible to create an experience that’s unique, and innately Google. The company is looking for an Industrial Design Intern to join their Hardware division in Mountain View, California.
Designers at Google contribute creatively to multiple programs at times, while working with other designers and outside collaborators. You are able to present different points of view through visual and verbal skills. In addition to collaborating on design, you have the ability to meet the schedule and company goals and support other design teams, as needed.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user’s interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making people’s lives better through technology.
• Currently pursuing a BA/BS in Industrial Design or a related technical field.
• Available to work full-time for the duration of the internship (3 or 6 months).
• Experience with 3D CAD (Alias, Catia, NX, Rhino, Solidworks and/or pro-engineer), concept generation and rendering.
• Original portfolio of work (to be included with your resume, either linked or as a separate attachment).
• Currently pursuing an MS degree in Industrial Design or a related technical field.
• Available to start on May 28, June 17, or July 8, 2019 and returning to a degree program after the internship ends.
• Experience with one or more of the following: animation, color/material/finish design, model making and/or prototyping; 2D experience via sketching, Illustrator, Photoshop.
• Understanding of global trends, technology and fashion.
• Strong communication/visualization and storytelling skills and techniques.
• Authorization to work in the United States.
• Express ideas and concepts through strong visual/verbal communication skills.
• Communicate and present through sketches, prototypes or models, and 2D/3D renderings, with strong attention to detail.
• Contribute to ideation as well as proper implementation of ideas.
• Support multiple projects at very different levels of involvement.
Mountain View (California), USA.