Not Afraid of Color, Interview with Karim Rashid

Karim Rashid is one of the most prolific designers today. He has over 3000 products in production, countless awards and an ever growing list of collaborations; exhibitions, restaurants, banks, automative and electronic companies to name a few. He is an enigmatic designer with accessible taste. That’s a rare and precious combination. There’s something rebellious about his vision, yet refined. His bold aesthetic and penchant for pushing boundaries makes him worthy of a singular moniker – Karim.

Designer: Karim Rashid

Do you have nickname(s)? Care to share some and how you got them?

I have been known as the “Prince of Plastic”. I use plastic in a lot of my designs because it’s a material that have wonderful properties, it is durable, malleable, and can be quite comfortable. With new technologies such as rotomoulding, I can create sensual and organic shapes that have never existed. Using plastic also enables my designs to be more accessible on the market.

You’ve touched so many design disciplines from product design to interiors to brand identity. Which do you love most?

I don’t favor one over the other. I love the immediate impact an interior can have on people lives. With hospitality design or public space, I know that masses of people have access to my designs, and they aren’t just looking at it, they are physically immersing themselves inside of the design. I have the power to affect them on a social level, whether it is to provide relaxing solitude, community, or a pleasurable vacation. I also derive tremendous happiness from product design, because each object has the potential to connect with the consumer, and to bring them pleasure on an everyday basis.

Where does your creativity come from?

I was born into a creative context. My father was so inspiring since he designed everything possible from movie sets to furniture to clothes. He was an artist and set designer for film and television. He taught me perspective at a young age, and he taught me that I could design anything and touch all aspects of our physical landscape.

How do you find inspiration?

I look way beyond design and architecture. Inspiration is accumulative. Everything can be inspiring. It is how you look at the world. I am inspired by my childhood, my education, by all my teachers I have ever had, by every project I have worked on, by every city I have traveled to, by every book I have read, by every art show I have seen, by every song I have heard, by every smell, every taste, sight, sound, and feeling.

You have a wonderful long list of products and accolades. What work are you most proud of? What was/is your highest moment?

There hasn’t been one singular moment, but more a building journey. I can remember the satisfaction I felt from designing the Garbo and Oh Chair for Umbra back in the 90s. I love when my ideas are materialized in the form of products that are accessible, high design, and usable on a day-to-day basis. Then when I completed the Semiramis in Athens, that was my first hotel and I felt a wonderful sense of accomplishment. As of recently, I won 37 awards this year, and was inducted to the Interior Design Hall of Fame. But more than anything I am looking forward to what this next year will bring. We have just had the unveiling of Nhow hotel, Berlin, and soon the will complete a Metro Station in Naples.

You have a series of symbols that have almost become a design dialect easily recognizable as “Karim Rashid.” It’s in your work. It’s on your skin. What do they mean? How did they come about?

They are my hieroglyphics. I developed 55 symbols over the last 13 years. Each has meaning. I call them Karimagologos. My book EVOLUTION explains the meanings. I never try to intentionally use them but they come into the work subconsciously at the most incidental times. I have 12 tattoos on me – one from each different city in the world from Tokyo to San Francisco to New York to London, to Chicago, etc.

You seem to embrace the artificial possibilities of humanity – the merging of the organic with the artificial. Is this an accurate statement?

It’s definitely accurate. I love evolution, I’m looking forward to the day when we’re 50% synthetic and artificial, there’s something obsessive, sort of like science fiction.

You come from a diverse background rich in history yet I find very little nostalgia in your work. Where did this aesthetic come from?

In this new century we are witnessing an exhaustive excavation into the vaults of the past, even more so than the post-modern eighties. It seems as history is unfolding at a hypertrophic rate, we keep searching into the past to unveil everything and anything, be it good or bad. But we should look to the future for change and innovation.

When you harness and play with your creative energy, do you prefer to develop ideas in private or do you like to collaborate and receive input?

I develop my ideas first, then I bring them to my team and we try variations using 3D renderings. I sketch profusely, mostly when I’m home, or traveling by plane. I like to be alone initially with some music playing, but later on design is a process. I need to make sure my vision will go seamlessly with the needs of my clients, and the needs of consumers.

How do you change the world?

I think every artist, designer, always wants to contribute something to culture I’ve always been obsessed with doing this, making a real impact on people’s lives. Even as a four year old child I used to draw pictures of buildings with my father, but I always wanted to change something: the windows, the doorway, etc. I knew back then I wanted to be a designer. Secondly, I almost consider myself more of an artist than a hard-core industrial designer, because there’s this weird drive internally to do something original in the world.

I also realize that we live in a very complex world, and it can never be a utopian singular vision, and I would never want to mandate my vision on everyone else, I’m just contributing to lots of sensibilities.

Finally, what is your favorite color and why?

Pink. Pink is my superoptimisitc white. It is energetic, fulgent, engaging, and a moxie to the masculine world that dominates our built landscape. There are so many variations and shades of pink for every mood, ever person. Pink is the new black!

• Jolan Moebus says:

nice…!

• mak says:

awesome!!!

• StyleFactory loves his designs too! There is a lovely union between form and function.

One of our favorites: http://umade.it/fOUBcC

• Ahh, Karim. Love him or hate him. Was fortunate to meet him some years back in Milan. Very likeable person, very chatty. Some of his designs – brilliant! He is truly individual with his style and thoroughly deserves his induction…….

• Giorgia says:

soooooooooooo coool! love him, one of my idols.. as an architect and designer studant its a dream to hv so many products in producton and so many cool interior designs of him.. just brilliant!

• The pic of chair is better than his.

• alexandra says:

It's a shame that someone with such prestige and influence does not embrace environmentally-sustainable designs, and in fact seems to loathe them. Why someone would look forward to the day when we are “50% synthetic and artificial” is incomprehensible to me. There is so much natural beauty in this world, and if we want to save it for our kids and the following generations creative designers like Karim need to be more responsible in their approaches. And, responsibility does not, by any means, have to come at the expensive of creativity and innovation!

• T. E. Samad says:

Karim Rashid is now my favourite industrial designer. He is just so awesome and original. As far as i know, Mr. Rashid has been using eco-friendly materials for some of his products, so people can't accuse him of being extremely negligent. Keep up the good work, Karim.

• alexandra , he uses plastics which are sustainable, so don't worry about it, the man knows his job :)

• archana says:

@Neil Ronaldson I agree with everything what you told about karim.I once met him on airport and he was really nice towards me and even drew some sketches for my little girl even though he was meeting us for the first time.

• James says:

In what world are plastics a sustainable material? The man himself has said he doesn’t care about the environment so no, he doesn’t know his job. In this world where plastic is an eco-friendly product, do we use nuclear waste to brush our teeth and hamsters drive us around in submarine cars?

• micci says:

LOOOVE!!!(^^,)

• It’s you who will be making them money, and you, who will be driving the
    traffic to their offers. As many times as that old mechanical clock passed through owners,
    each seller was supposed to pay taxes on it.
    Every aspect of your business needs to be recorded in order for it to be analyzed for accuracy.

• The cause for so many Miami Kitchen remodeling projects is simply because
    people are deciding to save a lot more funds by spending their time inside the
    residence and cooking fresh meals that cost much less than a night out inside the
    town. The Masterbuilt designers added a drain clip to the fry basket which permits you
    to hang the basket on the side of the fryer as the turkey drains
    and cools. Basic Project Control and Communication Plan: The project control component explains the tools that will be used to assist the project manager in tracking the project’s
    progress.

• They’re perfect for keeping personal matters at the
    same time, generating them the top accessory. Thinking of having a tan because of your pale skin. I have
    included the link below if you would like to read the study.

• Having said that, there’s way more required inside plumbing business which has
    resulted in numerous kinds of plumbing profession paths that folks can pursue as expert plumbers.
    So you can see the importance of checking to see if your plumber is
    licensed. Each jar is cleaned, melted down and reformed into
    three different snowflake patterns for the tree trimming.

• If you are saying, “My wife moved out – can I get her back. Compare free instant online moving quotes and pick the best moving company based on services & price. These type of companies work either in the form of a franchise or a licensed company.

• – perifolliculum – cirumferential band of fine adventitial collagen that defines the unit.
    The answer is what type of diet allows you as you age to produce enough hydrochloric
    acid to digest your food properly so the fermenting food in your stomach doesn’t cause other degenerative and
    inflammatory-related diseases. While you’re trying to restore your
    tresses, try to avoid them.

• Everyone enjoin ladies towards sign dissipate by
    means of just one pendant or even hallux joint then when that they check out profitable,
    add more an alternative therefore to their collection-that’s
    that tyoe of accessories-you will not prop to give up that reserve and even get hold of a
    latest clothing. Once again this course is conducted
    via email at one email per week over a period of eight weeks.
    Celebs have an extremely large influence, shaping opinions and creating developments: hair designs, clothing, devices and a lot much more.

• is a form оff populaг music wikth a prominent vοcal
    melody accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass. This will help you figure out whatt your baby’s cries are telling you.
    She drums for Lisa Вeck’s West African dance class.

• Moreover, the boat maker is amongst the most diversified one as far as models and variations are
    concerned in boats. The Illinois Movers will
    give you with an end-to-end solution at a cheap basis.
    No trip to Miami would be complete without a shopping trip,
    and there’s no shortage of options, with shopping areas catering
    for every style and budget. You would also observe that the agent is capable of managing trucking logistics for all types
    of airfreight and ocean freight import and export services.
    The Nissan Altima is a good choice among midsize cars. Dehradun based movers
    and packers have wide range of goods transporters and important resources for trouble-free
    shipping of belongings. Keep reading this article and get information on various home furnishing items.

They have taken up the steps to make the clients
    outsource to them. You just need to cash back
    in some areas where one needs to switch. They will shift entire home stuffs to the desired destination with any damage.

• hcg levels says:

One more thing on which you need to pay attention to is fats and this is something that you should
    not be consumed in the large amount.    Once you are
    on the calorie restricted diet and when the body demands energy, the HCG hormone
    will ensure that that energy is released from the stored fats and not from your lean muscle mass.
    A typical HCG program involves combining a low calorie diet and HCG usage.

• They might be a good fashion declaration at home however, not in Spain.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system,
    the idea is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget.
    Actually, once you get used to working with these tools, you’ll probably
    wonder how you ever lived without them.

• I do consider all the ideas you’ve presented in your post.
    They’re very convincing and will definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for novices.
    May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

• Pls check out my internet internet site at the
    same time and let me know what you feel.