Compact Disc is Mouse-ish

One of the things with product design is that we need to let the experts figure out the “How” and concentrate on the design solution at hand. So when it comes to the question of how to make a computer mouse compact, portable yet feel like the true-blue desktop version, we’ll leave the figuring of technology to the techies and concentrate on a compact disc-esque mouse (disk+Mouse) that sits in the laptop tray when not needed. And cones up to a 3-D full grip version when required. Brilliant, if you ask me!

disk+Mouse is a 2011 Sparks Concept Design Award entry.

Designer: Seung Han Jung

• Theo says:

Love the concept, but how is it powered?

• Mike Barnard says:

Three points:

1. The ergonomics of this hideaway mouse are extremely poor. There’s a reason why mice tend to look the same, and that is to allow them to fit comfortably into the human hand and be manipulated. While some compromises are expected for the disappearing mouse, this looks like the failed round mouse in terms of success likeliness.

2. It’s completely unclear how the laser tracking will be enabled / focused. This appears to be a concept without engineering behind it. The form factor of the CD slot is very thin.

3. This is likely to cause the CD to spin up and report an unreadable disk every time you put your mouse away.

4. The MOGO mouse does this in a different way, by using the PCMCIA slots that come on many laptops. This recharges the mouse while also hiding it. Optical disks are still more prevalent in the marketplace than PCMCIA slots, but there are many laptops that are forgoing them as well as software and media shifts to Web delivered.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Jason Wang says:

If this could be done, it would be the coolest peripheral ever.

• Laura says:

come on! it’s just an idea (a great one), of course it has tons of problems to solve yet. This will just inspire new, better ones.

• Ray says:

I’ve a feeling that it would jam like there’s no tomorrow, and the spinning might cause it to come apart and rip the insides of your dvd drive

• Dave says:

Cheers Mike,

Cheers,
    Dave.

• John says:

“let the experts figure out the “How” and concentrate on the design”

I think this is exactly the wrong mentality.
    While a concept designer does not need to produce complete blueprints for how their design will work, they need at least a working understanding of what is technically possible.

But more importantly, designers need to focus on WHY; why existing things are designed the way that they are. Instead it seems many designers are only after an artistic render instead of a usable product. They have a nice looking image but because they don’t understand the details of the task their product for, they end up with something that, at times, is completely usable tor the job they intend.

• Jeremy says:

what a piece a junk!

• luckong says:

I´m in the “this sucks” side of the force…

where does the 45° comes from? (really, where?)

• chaos215bar2 says:

Cool idea, but as a “techie”, I can assure you this is not even remotely implementable. (Batteries? ~2mm thick laser tracking? What happens when the computer tries to spin up the mouse?) I also have to agree… 45 degrees seems way off, especially when the mouse comes to a sharp-ish point at the top.

• walked by says:

so all you have to do is draw up pretty pictures without thinking through the details?

• I came from Engadget Japanese says:

What can I do with my Macbook Air?

• Codrin says:

very nice design and great idea but how it communicates, wireless but how and the battery can make it work as long it is so thin ?

• What an exciting time it can be and with so many details to work out, it can be overwhelming too.
    Choosing the right moving company is not an easy process and we recommend to start your search as soon as you decide to move.
    and that includes the process of safely transporting a
    lifetime of furniture and accessories to a new home.

• Even a casual stroll through the SEAPLEX blog reveals something fascinating about scientific work:
    moment to moment, it looks like any other kind of work, but
    the long view is of something utterly different from most other kinds of
    work. From this airport, guests are able to rent a
    car or, as a more inexpensive option, take a shuttle from
    the airport to the north entrance. Charley was the inquisitive one but Chad was the one bold
    enough to ask the questions.

• With just few dollars, you can achieve a golden-bronze tan and also manage to look gorgeous and hot.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the
    skin, but 2,000 people still die annually, according to the American Cancer
    Society. Actually, once you get used to working with
    these tools, you’ll probably wonder how you ever
    lived without them.

• Brazzers Premium Account Generator has anti-ban and anti-detection system also uses a proxy.

• Amway says:

What’s thrilling is that their product does work and delivers some amazing
    results. As way as their items go, they marketplace
    numerous science based mostly nutraceuticals that are created to assist in your total wellness and properly becoming.
    Media Highlights: Blair on “The Big Idea – The American Dream” with Ivanka Trump:.

• Actually when someone doesn’t unnderstand afterward its up to other visitors that they will help, so here
    it takes place.

• Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this web site regularly, if so after that you
    will without doubt get nice knowledge.

• Jamila says:

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
    have found something that helped me. Thank you!

• Bettina says:

It’s awesome in favor of me to have a website, which is
    beneficial designed for my know-how. thanks admin

• web site says:

This excellent website definitely has all oof the
    information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t
    know who to ask.

• There’s certainly a great deal to know about this issue.
    I really like all of the points you’ve made.

• My brother recommended I might like this blog. He used to be
    totally right. This put up truly made my day.
    You cann’t consider just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thank you!

• There are several electric heater manufacturers to choose from including Chromalox, Qmark and
    Fostoria (TPI). It has a body of contrasts- a
    bright yellow beak against a snowy white head against a dark brown body.
    And if you want to do a friend a favour then slide them a copy
    of these tips before their next presentation.

• Hi everyone, it’s my first visit at this website, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful for me, keep
    up posting such content.

• long pillows says:

Great delivery. Sound arguments. Keep up the
    great effort.

• My partner and I stumbled over here by a different web
    page and thought I mighht as well check things out.
    I like what I see so nnow i’m following you. Look
    forward to finding out about yoour web page yett again.

• What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this website daily, if so after that
    you will absolutely obtain pleasant experience.

• news says:

Contact information can also be provided for parents with
    questions or concerns regarding a policy. These games require you first to download an emulator and then the game.
    t quite manage to do that, be it for the National Hockey League, the country.