Spontaneous Design

This Log Chop Bench is a one-off piece defined by one very unconventional process (to say the least). Designers David Long & Antoine Morris avoided concrete blueprints & lent their ax, log, & minimal sketches to a professional Lumberjill (you heard me) who carved out seat spaces with surgical precision. The rough hollows were then clad in fine, hand-sewn upholstery by a motorcycle saddle maker. A little unorthodox, but pretty damn sexy.

The bench was recently auctioned at the Stellar Living 2011 Contemporary Art & Design Auction for Mercer Union in Toronto, Ontario.

Designers: David Long & Antoine Morris

• TOPRICE.IE says:

Wow it's great, i suppose it's bench? ;dd

• TOPRICE.IE says:

Wow it's great, i suppose it's bench? ;dd

• Lokanin says:

that first photo is priceless!
    Great looking design.

• Lokanin says:

that first photo is priceless!
    Great looking design.

• Grey says:

LOVE IT! the two on the right are a bit high… if its not just the angle of the pic. Awesome job!

• Grey says:

• JinT says:

环保吗?

• JinT says:

环保吗?

• Wow, that is cool. I love the final product, not to mention the design and production process! Those seats are probably really comfortable given that they are hand stitched motorcycle grade artistry. Really sweet and a lot of hard work. Thanks for the post!

• Cra says:

Really really awesome, great job. Would be awesome to see more variations. This would be cool in a lumber jack office waiting room, for when you are waiting for your appointment with the lumber jack.

• Cra says:

• This is an amazing design. Just imagine, that log on wheels rolling down the highway at just 55 miles per hour. Better yet, I wouldn’t mind logging a few hundred hours in that setup…

Good stuff (and good luck), I appreciate the community feedback Mr. Troy Turner.

• spriggig says:

Wow. What a waste of an old-growth log.

• susan says:

exactly what I was thinking. It is nice, but not as useful as a big log like that potentially could be.

• spriggig says:

Wow. What a waste of an old-growth log.

• susan says:

• Karyl says:

Really unexpected, but very cool. The final product is a great mashup of clean geometric and rustic organic. Wicked.

• Karyl says:

• @aka_encKe says:

my luck id be ur friend with a truck when u move

• @aka_encKe says:

my luck id be ur friend with a truck when u move

• Dean says:

I would prefer it without the whitewash over the wood, would be a much nicer contrast if they just treated the wood and left it it's natural colour.

• Karmin says:

THAT’S INCREDIBLE ALL FROM A LOG, IMPRESSIVE!! I WANT ONE 🙂

• Troll says:

Just what we need, more useless designs to kill trees..

• sebastian says:

lo logras

• That is frikin sweet. I want one.

• DrChaos says:

There is so much awesome here I’m not sure where to start.

• In fact, all the reasons mentioned above are applicable to all men and
    women. Exercise is a very important tool in the fight against
    extra weight. Some studies believe that up to 70%
    of successful weight loss stems from keeping insulin levels in check
    and to do this means eating whole grains and avoiding simple carbs.