The “Is That a Watch?” Watch

Gotta love this minimal design by Samuel Jerichow! The Dot watch is made of a single flexible strap covered with a stretchable, retractable PVC-based sheet. The center mechanism consists of three cylinders- one “on” indicator dot that is permanently visible as it presses up against the sheet, and two hour and minute indicators that magically appear when the center dot is pressed. After 5 seconds the dots disappear again. A simple and futuristic looking timepiece with a playful analog charm.

Designer: Samuel Jerichow

• Hi Yanko! Thank you for posting and for the short text. Looks good on here 😀

Best regards,

• Neil says:

Is this watch available to buy?

• Julien, it is still a concept, sorry. But all components are available today, just need someone who dares to make it 😉

• igorchak says:

Great Concept Sam, but the idea itself is very overrated now. Mechanically this is impossible now…even if it was possible, your manufacturing cost would be ridiculous…
    If you can explain how this work mechanically…you will definitely make a big impact.

• Thanks for your input! You make me think!

I see, that the concept is pretty utopic. I’m student of architecture, so my technical knowledge is limited. I have some ideas about the mechanism, but I can’t imagine the deeper details.

Oh, and my previous message was @ Neil. Julien, you have a cool page with cool work.

• Geno says:

If you sacrificed the hour and minute dots “popping up” you could simple have to arms with tips that rise upwards; which revolve around like the hands of any other watch. This entails a malleable surface on the face where the “dots” would protrude.

If you truly wanted the hours and minutes retract you would have to have a rather convoluted system of free standing pins (each with its own light source) that could be activated by the user.

Another idea: Have rotating arms which simply rise simultaneously on use command..?

I’m not sure I’ve helped any, but I really like the design and would like to see it come to fruition. :)

• Geno!!! You are taking the thoughts out of my brain.

The idea with the free standing pins is basically cool. But 12 hour pins and 60 minutes pins are too much I think. Maybe just 12 minute pins, since the time cant be told precisely anyway… But that could be helped, now I’m thinking again.

A traditional analog system above an up-pushing mechanism is way simpler (but is still pretty hard to make).

Geno, you helped, you made me think :) Let’s cross fingers!

• Neil says:

I think you’d have problems finding a surface which was malleable enough to let the pins push up (especially with the small amount of battery power available and compact width of the watch), yet be hard wearing to stand up to the regular use of a watch.

Maybe if the pins were very small screws. When activated, the small screws would be rotated to raise them up. This wouldn’t require as much power behind it as simple pushing the pins up. The screws could be on 2 discs which each rotate, rather than ‘hands’.

• Yes, for the “stretch radius” of the sheet, some research is indeed necessary.

The compact width… do you mean the thickness? I didn’t show it, to keep the illusion, but the watch is thicker in the middle section to carry all necessary technology – at least in theory. You can see it a bit on the strap, the middle section is triple the thickness, so this section would seem to float over your wrist.

Your screws idea is a very cool approach to the technical execution. There has to be a thin film of lubricating oil between the sheet and the screws to avoid friction. I think it’s anyway recommendable for other mechanisms. The screwz idea is good because it only needs horizontal rotation, no “pushing up”.

Thanks alot for thinking this through and commenting!

• Neil says:

yes, meant thickness… from the style of the watch I’d imagine the thinner the better though. But I understand that the slightly thicker body could be concealed and the floating aspect you mentioned would actually be pretty cool! :)

Using geared cogs as well could even produce a reasonable ‘screw force’ from a small amount of power which would allow you to use a more durable ‘skin’ over the top of the watch.

Its a great design though! I have a thing for watches and this does it for me… I’d love one! :)

• There is no “like” button for your post, so again thank you! I’m sketching for a gear mechanism right now…

• For all who are interested, I have updated the concept with some additional images. The will appear here soon, but you can already see them on my facebook page (click my blue name)

Best regards and thank you for your comments so far!

• Michel says:

@Julien : ta montre n’est qu’un proto aussi ou elle est à la vente ?

• Beth says:

The second I saw this and read about it, I wanted to find where it was from, and if possible, buy it. I really hope that it comes out on the market soon and is affordable as well!

• Thank you for your comment! Good to hear a female opinion too :) I share the same hopes, Beth.

• napervillian says:

another possibility is to have a thin layer of ferro-fluid and two rings of electric conductors. all you would need is a digital clock inside and a small program to put the electrical charge in the right place

• Definitely a geeky alternative! But I would loose the touch feature, because the fluid has to be coverd by glass. The glass itself has to be embedded in a case and I would loose some flexibility too. But as I said, it’s a cool idea for another watch :)

Napervillian, thank you for your comment!

• Fjor says:

I think if the dots simply illuminated thru a semi-transparent film without pushing it could be geekish too. Could be implemented with two circles of bright fixed leds in a daisy wheel arrangement and maybe a capacitive sensor to simply touching the center for activation. This could extend the battery life to ages…:)

• Yeah you’re right, good idea actually. But I am a bit proud of the touch option 😉 Thanks for your constructive comment!

• Mike says:

This is probably well-known by now but what the last comments seem to be describing is Kiran Pal Sagoo’s F-Moments (Fluid Moments) watch. Use of an electroactive polymer that shows the time when the face is tapped.

• Now this is interesting! That’s a cool watch. Thank you for mentioning!

But with “touch option” I actually meant, that the ime can be touched… can be felt. It would be cool if it wouldn’t be hidden behind glass.

• Linette says:

I have read so many content concerning the blogger lovers however this post is truly a nice paragraph, keep it up.

• These are genuiely fantastic ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched sme good factors here. Any way keep upp wrinting.

• watch says:

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?
    This article posted at this web site is truly pleasant.