Essential Design, located in Boston, has developed an award-winning portfolio of products and services in collaboration with clients from the consumer, commercial, and medical domains – ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. Their work bridges physical, digital products and services. As a result, their design team aims to enhance holistic user experiences. A cross-section of Essential’s recent work includes consumer products, professional equipment, medical devices, health and wellness platforms/communities, ‘green’ building initiatives, and athletic performance monitoring systems. Their office is a casual, loft-like, studio atmosphere with very convenient access to public transit. Apply now to be a part of this innovative workspace!
Essential Design collaborated with Shure to create the new Shure: SE Earphones, which have been recognized by the industry for their best-in-class performance, sound isolation and rugged durability – all hallmarks of the Shure brand.
As an industrial designer at Essential, you will be expected to apply your highest creative and analytical skills in the design of products, interactions, and services for their clients. Your role will vary based on project requirements and will include research to identify critical design issues, participation in brainstorming sessions, concept development, detail design development, CAD database development, color/material/finish specification, and design-control communications in the down-stream engineering and manufacturing phases of development. In these efforts, you will interact with clients, vendors, partner organizations, and internal staff as an industry-leading professional and as a representative of the Essential team – building relationships and growing your and Essential’s reputation for creativity and delivery quality while helping to make their design process engaging, rewarding and fun.
- Performs secondary research, trends, technology, and competitive landscape.
- Participates in brainstorming and generates content in order to achieve innovative and appropriate design solutions for users, clients, timelines, and budgets.
- Supports design execution of projects from brainstorming to a hands-on role in detailed development using 3-d design tools such as Solidworks and Keyshot.
- Develops content for client and internal deliverables.
- Interacts with clients in the development of assets.
- Demonstrates confidence and competencies to create interim and final deliverables.
- Creates on brand inspiration or mood boards to help create a dialog with the client.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and visual communication skills and communicates effectively with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Sets examples for interns/co-ops.
- Seeks opportunities to enhance skills, learn from others.
- Assists senior personnel in the planning of new programs, management of on-going projects and engagement of third party vendors to solidify planning and implementation details.
- Participates actively in project reviews.
- Clarifies and delivers on expectations to other team members (within and across disciplines) to maintain efficiency and quality.
- Proactively engages with others, offering assistance/advice whenever possible.
- Willing to travel for research and to client sites for workshops and presentations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
- 3-5 years of relevant design experience
- US Citizens or Green Card holders only at this time
- SolidWorks proficiency strongly preferred
- High level of personal commitment to quality, with demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, highlighted by a flexible and collaborative working style
- General understanding and appreciation for mechanical engineering, interaction design, and user research preferred
- Passion for learning and an ability to “get smart fast”
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, portfolio (digital link or PDF copy), and letter of interest to [email protected].
Check out all the latest design openings on Yanko Design Job Board