GoPro is practically synonymous with capturing dramatic, action video. The company burst into the scene in 2002 with a highly capable device that absolutely disrupted (or destroyed) the handycam market. GoPro cameras were lauded for their robust build, their compact size, and the wide variety of accessories that allowed you to swim with it, fly with it, strap it to your hand, helmet, bike, car, or even fling it across the sky. GoPro’s products span the widely famous Hero, with its ability to capture hi-res high-frame-rate videos using its wide angle lens, and even GoPro’s drone, the Karma, as well as their omnidirectional camera, the Fusion. GoPro is looking for a Staff Industrial Designer to join its team in San Mateo, California, to help develop its upcoming products.
GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equality. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From São Paulo to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
This role blends the best of Senior Industrial Design with product usability. You’ll design new cameras and other products as a lead member of our Industrial Design team. You’ll also maintain and evolve the GoPro product design language by designing new products and concepts to expand the GoPro portfolio. A high percentage of products we develop go to market and are used by a growing and very passionate audience.
• You’ll design new products for GoPro
• You’ll collaborate in establishing core concepts and design specifications as part of the ID team from initial research to ideation all the way to production
• You’ll translate ideas and sketches into 3D prints and ID prototypes
• You’ll work closely with design, engineering, product management, and manufacturing teams
• You’ll work with Asia vendors and manufacturing partners to define, specify and confirm CMF as your designs go to production
• You’ll travel about 20-30% of the time (domestically and internationally)
• Consumer product design experience – we’re looking for someone who’s seen their products all the way through to market
• We’re particularly interested in candidates who’ve designed consumer products that people can hold and touch
7+ years of experience in consumer product design, where you worked in a multidisciplinary team of concepts all the way to tooling and production
• A BS in Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering
• Experience working frequently with 3D CAD and 2D design tools like Solidworks, Alias, Rhino, Keyshot, VRay, Mental Ray, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
• Pride in sharing pictures of products you’ve designed from concept to market in a design portfolio
• A strong understanding of manufacturing methods, processes, materials and constraints
• Some experience with component architecture, placement and packaging
• A proven track record of designing challenging and innovative consumer products
• Fully-stocked kitchen with snacks galore
• Live it. Eat it. Love it. – Two dedicated hours during your week to explore your passions and capture it with your GoPro.
• Get your very own GoPro (Mounts and accessories included)
• Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
• 401(K) matching
• Discretionary Time Off
• 12 weeks paid Parental Leave for new parents
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
• Life insurance and disability benefits
• Employee commuter shuttles
San Mateo (California), USA.
Check out all the latest design openings on Yanko Design Job Board
Or recruit your ideal candidate by posting a job here!