Google Pixel, Google Home, Pixel Buds, Chromebook, Pixel Slate, Daydream VR, Nest, Waymo… these are just a few of the tangible products that come from the Alphabet company, Google’s parent. A lot of them tie in Google’s services, and make use of skilled industrial designers who capture the company’s fun-yet-superior avatar and signature usability and bring them to the product domain. Google’s Pixel is remarkable to look at, the Google Home device’s fabric clad makes it a wonderful piece of decor, and Google’s Chromebooks are increasingly becoming popular in schools. Google’s hardware beautifully complements its software and results in a product that holistically looks at the tangible and intangible to create an experience that’s unique, and innately Google. The company is looking for an Industrial Designer to join their Consumer Hardware team in Mountain View, California.
Google’s products are known for their clean design, ensuring users can quickly and easily find what they’re looking for. As an Industrial Designer, you leverage your technical background and understanding of “good” design to look for ways to streamline the user experience. You work closely with the product managers and development engineers throughout the entire production cycle. You design everything from high-level product flow to detailed UI mockups and then use your expert scripting skills to make your designs a reality.
As an Industrial Designer at Google, you will shape the future by designing products that harness the power of Google to delight and inspire millions of people worldwide. You are a design leader who is passionate about improving people’s lives through design and technology. You are proactive, creative, engaged, optimistic, progressive, open-minded and resourceful and you seek inspiration, empowerment, and challenge.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Only one thing consistently stands in the way between our users and the world’s information—hardware. Our Consumer Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user’s interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Consumer Hardware team is making people’s lives better through technology.
• Lead projects from start to finish and manage all issues that impact design. Lead the design team to deliver design at a high quality that delights consumers.
• Lead design intent (leveraging the input from designers in the team) from concept through mass production with cross functional teams including: research, user-interface, software and hardware engineers, marketing, product management and external vendors. Understanding and rationalizing feedback and issues from these teams as they arise.
• Create compelling visual presentations and design stories showing solutions and context for both peers, top leadership, customers and verbally deliver in a convincing manner. Create original concepts as part of design team.
• Align concept to Brand and Business goals. Focus on the user. Interpret and translate complex technologies into simple and beautiful products and user experiences.
• Drive agenda and prepare team for week over week actions and deliverables. Product build process troubleshooting and CMF approvals that require travel as needed to vendors (manufacturing facilities overseas, user research).
• Bachelor’s in Industrial Design or equivalent practical experience.
• 8 years of experience in consumer product design.
• Experience with designing and shipping consumer products. Experience in design (i.e., proportions, color, form, typography, presentation).
• A portfolio demonstrating your work.
• Strong understanding of mechanical design, manufacturing and engineering requirements and constraints.
• Experience in products that include hardware-software user experience.
• Experience in consumer electronics and mobile industry.
• Excellent in visualizing concepts using industry standard 2D and 3D tools such as: Photoshop/Illustrator, Rhino, Solidworks, Creo, Alias and Keyshot.
• Excellent written, listening and oral communication skills.
Mountain View (California), USA.