Canon Mirrorless?

David Riesenberg scores a hot number with his Canon Mirrorless concept. Inspired by the classic AE and AE-P and working out his fantasy, David dished out this Canon AE-D. I love his detailed explanation and rationale behind each move, so hit the jump to read it in his voice….

Some of the main features and the reasoning behind them are:

Full Frame – Might as well be the pinnacle of 35mm. Especially if a new lens mount is required. Future proof.

18.1MP sensor from the 1DX – This camera will not rob sales from the 1DX on form factor alone so it makes sense to use an existing sensor instead of a new one. Plus, it will make an excellent pair to someone with an 1DX.

CM-D Lens mount – That was the source of most headaches for me. Naturally, I wanted to design it around the EF mount for reasons that I don’t need to state but it proved to be very problematic. Both the flange depth and actual mount diameter meant that the camera needed to be much thicker and possibly taller to accommodate EF lenses. So this “CM-D” lens mount is roughly FD sized which keeps the dimensions close to the original and enables lenses that are not too huge.

50mm f/1.0L “Kit Lens” – Fast primes. What can I say? I love them and they probably the best match to a system as I outlined above. So their existence is no less realistic that all the other items here. While I am far from being an optics expert, I designed this 50mm lens based on a combination of schematics of the Canon 50mm f/1L. FD f/1.2L and Leica f/0.95 so it should be a realistic representation of the dimensions of such a lens. It also features an aperture ring for direct control as well as an Auto mode for shutter priority or auto mode.

Viewfinder – Design wise, I knew from the start that I wanted to incorporate the prism hump of the AE cameras. It is a prominent feature that without it, the context of the design gets somewhat lost. At the same time, it is obviously not a technical requirement in mirrorless cameras so making it detachable while housing the EVF felt like the optimal combination of form and function. After all, if this is a camera for photographers, a viewfinder, even if electronic, is a must.

Flash + Flash + Flash – I regard flashes as an integral, must have feature of any system and I didn’t want to handicap its use in any form. Not when taking snapshots with the built-in one and not when the viewfinder is either attached or not.

Designer: David Riesenberg

Shares 509

• Sam says:

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Would buy in an instant!

• James says:

Stunning. Got it just right. From an affordability point of view I would personally need a 35mm f2 rather than that beast if I were to buy it all new. But the f1.0 would definitely appeal as well after initial purchase.

I did’t spot it, but I’d also want a direct button to start video recording at 720p/30fps.

I LOVE the hotshoe design in main body and viewfinder.

• Great design David!! I would love to see this camera in my hands!

• Beautiful mockup, I too would be on the waiting list. Great design choices – looks like the future, but also like a usable thing.

• Chris says:

Great lines, very thoughtful design. The usability of this camera would be phenomenal. I like the minimal controls – for the most part this is just what I need. Given my druthers, I would add a mirror lock up switch and a 1st curtain / 2nd curtain toggle switch (or 1-2 customizable buttons/switches). However, I wouldn’t want to clutter this clean layout very much so if this was the final product I would not be disappointed in the least.

I really hope someone at Canon has a look. They should license your design and get this into production. I would buy one right out of the gate – with the lovely lens you kitted it with too.

• cx says:

Color match the lens and I’ll take 2!

• Teto says:

great, but it’s easy to put a display in an old camera, nothing new…just see leica m9

• littorio says:

Looks like Chinese iPhone, honestly. Great 3D rendering work, attention to detail and finish, but overall concept… looks like an attempt to fool the customers.

1. Viewfinder is too small. There’s place for BT transmitter inside, not for EVF. Take a look at Oly, Pana, Sony EVFs – they are larger.

2. EVF is at the center. Not the best place for it, honestly.

3. Screen is too small, it’s not 90s now.

4. Wheel with the “Func” button is placed too low. Users gonna break their fingers in order to reach it (unless the camera size is not on par with 60D).

5. ISO controller is not very handy. Where’s ‘A’ position?

• Isaac says:

Its doesnt have a mirror, hence the name mirrorless…..

• nice retro-style

• Joshua says:

I want one!no, i need one!

• Paragraph writing іs also a excitement, іf you bbe familiar
    աith afterward үοu can write if not іt is complicated tο write.

• Video games discovered on the positioning doesn’t in any
    way have an effect on your youngsters’s habits, doesn’t
    comprise violent games or different prohibited games.
    The video games are fundamentally for people who have a skill
    for or enjoyment of driving generally. There many individuals who
    now vallue and also savor these type of video games and
    also this has stired the molds of video games to concoct lots all of the more arduous and in addition superior courses of those video video games.

• Jonna says:

Mobidia has the highest 25 performed gamingapps for
    U.S., U.Ok., and South Korea listed here You caan also see the highest 10 for every in the image below.
    Nonetheless, Sweet Crush Saga and Conflict of Clans nonetheless rule in most territories.

• During normal gameplay on most servers, you may get hold of random objects,
    weapons, and generally crates, and taunts….through the merchandise drops system.

• When one account goes down, open another and re-up. While
    it is still possible to find videos that have clips of
    your favorite music videos, television shows, or movies,
    You – Tube is trying to cut down on those videos, as they don. This is a business opportunity for those
    who are passionate about making videos and are willing to work hard over a long period.

• Inzmam says:

Video games discovered on the positioning doesn’t in any
    way have an effect on your youngsters’s habits, doesn’t
    comprise violent games or different prohibited games.
    The video games are fundamentally for people who have a skill