No Cartoon Hill Too Comical for this Buggy

How many times have you watched a silly cartoon where a stroller or buggie rolls away from a mother, only to be narrowly avoided by an oncoming vehicle? Like a billion, probably. In less wonderful news, this sort of thing does actually happen. And quite often in Australia, according to designer James William Wansey! So he’s made this fantastic little device to stay the cart!

What this little contraption does is sit inside the wheel (or in the bigger scheme of things, it is part of the wheel in a UGO stroller), while its paired controller is held by the parent. If the parent’s controller gets too far away from the stroller, the device pumps the brakes.

The distance? Two meters. Wireless communication between the device and its controller. Brakes powered by the rotation of the wheel, device completely contained within the hub of the wheel.

So that means no more baby buggy races or bank robberies, baby Finster!

Designer: James William Wansey

• confucius says:

How about a touch sensitive handle? When its not being touched by the parent it locks the wheels.

• Lamah says:

Heck, lawn mowers already do this just fine, with no token to lose. I can’t see any huge advantage with this system except for a lot of extra cost and a losable token.

Parents will probably just end up clipping the token to the stroller because they can’t be bothered getting it out every time they go for a walk.

• scottypottypoopy says:

good idear! yuze a jeenyus!

• Eric says:

U-GO? I see that it looks different, but it still sounds like Yugo. I also think it’s funny the system is designed to stop things from going, yet it’s called UGO. Anyway, I like the touch handle bar idea better. If it was a digital touch sensor though, not like a separate bar that you need to hold down (like a lawnmower.) That would be annoying.

• ZinoDavidoff says:

I’m beginning to think that product design is the root of all e-Vil.

There’s really no time that an unattended stroller should be in locomotion. The simplest and most low-tech approach is a handle-grip that must be squeezed to unlock a brake on BOTH rear wheels (to avoid pivoting in place that could lead to a spill off a curb).

I do NOT want to see digital strollers, or anything else that purports to “solve” with batteries, lasers and IR beams problems that can easily be resolved with conventional mechanical solutions.

And I have my doubts, even accepting the premise for this Rube Goldberg braking system, that the little device shown would even work. It’d have to have significant braking power to stop a runaway buggy. It requires strong brake pressure against the wheel AND an extremely firm grip on a stationary center hub.

And it would cost HOW much? This idea looks like something that would generate more in runaway lawsuits than customer satisfaction.

• ZinoDavidoff says:

On the other hand, it did inspire that link to the Bugs Bunny cartoon! So product design isn’t so bad after all.

• ranjix says:

even with the device, the mother could sprint like crazy 1m behind the stroller, without catching it (and 1m won’t be enough to action the brakes). Sure, she could stop and hope god the brakes work, but I’d like to see that person that will chose that option.
    Much better ideas in the above comments

• Sean says:

Haha yeah, on a steep hill the mother races after the buggy. it brakes, only to start again just as she’s 2m away and almost reached it… Damn.
      And anyway, during all the movies isn’t it the mother AND the buggy crossing the road? Surely a simple wrist strap would be more appropriate to fix a very rare problem…

• zippyflounder says:

I guess the “leash” (a strap that loops around the wrist and attaches to the stroller) that has been used on “jogging stroller” for 15 years is too passe’….naw the leash works, the batteries never wear out and can be adjusted for distance. Am I doing a sour grapes, no I am not, but simple effective solutions that address the end users real needs are the ones that win in the market long term.

• brack says:

Sean, I almost peed my pants…”the mother races after the buggy. it brakes, only to start again just as she’s 2m away and almost reached it… Damn.”

What happens if the kid gets ahold of it going downhill? Interesting idea, though, I wouldn’t buy one.

• Nowwer says:

A better way of doing this would be to have a bar that you squeeze on the handle, like a lawnmower.

• BORIS says:

Could you give me email of the inventor ?

• Shanon says:

Hi there,
    We’ve noticed this product concept from the 2009 Australian Design Award-James Dyson Award has caught your interest and we wanted to say thank you for the write up.

• Emmanuel says:

I’m doing an engineering project about a re-design of a baby buggy. I have started doing my research and found this site with your comment. The reason for me doing this project idea is due to the braking system on the baby buggies that they need improving and modification to make it safer for both the user and let me just say that was my first reason for choosing this idea. Which is to cover the handles of the baby pram with a conductive material (such as the ones they use on touch screen phones) which will function in a way that when heat is applied on the handles i.e. hands it will open the lock on the wheels allowing it to move but when hands are removed from the handle area the brakes will be applied instantly holding the buggy tight and firm.

• I comment each time I like a article on a site or
    if I have something to add to the discussion. Usually it’s a result of the sincerness displayed in the article I browsed. And after this post UGO Stroller by James William Wansey Yanko Design. I was actually excited enough to drop a thought 😉 I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s
    allright. Could it be just me or do some of these comments come across like left by brain dead visitors?
    😛 And, if you are posting at other places, I would like
    to follow you. Could you list every one of all your
    shared sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page
    or linkedin profile?

• Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to
    “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

• Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    In any case I’ll be subscribing on your feed
    and I’m hoping you write once more very soon!