When we think of the term “crossover”, we don’t usually imagine it like this! The Hyperlight Aeros is a next generation autonomous amphibious passenger vehicle concept completely unrestricted by sea level or altitude! It goes beyond amphibeous, taking passenger from underwater to in the air in seconds.
This autonomous hybrid aviation rotorcraft/submersible watercraft design provides a truly unique traveling experience. A dual stage rear mounted Rolls Royce Hybrid Electric Jet powerplant with stabilizing front fan blade enclosures sends it soaring quietly above the clouds or gliding gracefully below the waves. Thrust is provided by a rear exhaust jet powered from the same engine. The “blowhole” arrays can also serve to stabilize and regulate water intake during submersible operation.
Inside, the cabin is fully pressurized and entirely water resistant. Even though it lacks windows, the Aeros projects the outside surroundings into the cabin’s encompassing plasma screen via a sophisticated environmental camera system.
– Maximum Cruising Altitude: 20,000ft
– Maximum Operating depth below water: 20ft
– Maximum Cruising Speed above water: 250knots
– Powerplant: (2) Rolls Royce ER-5 (Type 1) Electric Fan Jets. (1) powering the rear blow jets (1) powering the front fenestron.
– Maximum Passenger Capacity: 3 full sized adults plus luggage.
Designer: Lee Rosario