Established in 1924, TOMY has been creating toys to spark imaginations across the ages 0 to 99! With the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog by their side, TOMY has incorporated their distinct Japanese style into every household across the world. Their unique collaborations with brands like Coco-Cola to the Incredibles Movie Series and their statement original collections like John Deere Utility Vehicles and Tomica® ensure TOMY has something for every child and adult, irrespective of their age. Take this job opening and help new parents by creating valued products that enhance and support their perfectly imperfect journey.
Are you obsessed with design? Do you empathize with parents today and think about ways to make their lives better?
The First Years, a division of TOMY International, is looking for a motivated, multi-talented, and energetic product designer who loves to get their hands dirty, to dig deep and solve problems, and to carry their inspired design intent through every touchpoint of a product launch. The ideal candidate will mix Industrial with Graphic Design capabilities to create a holistic product solution. Children don’t come with an instruction manual; so for more than 65 years, we have been helping new parents by creating valued products that enhance and support their perfectly imperfect journey.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to champion new ideas while working closely with mechanical engineers, brand leaders, packaging, and other talented Industrial Designers. You will be influencing design on a cross-functional team where communication and collaboration is paramount. You will contribute directly to product categories such as Bath & Potty, Nursery, Toddler Feeding, Infant Care and Play, while also contributing to the development of our licensed products lines.
This role operates out of the Canton, MA office and reports to the Director of Design.
• Participate in immersion programs including store visits, design research, and focus groups
• Creative based activities – brainstorming, prototyping, etc.
• Frequent collaboration and communication with internal partners
• Application of insight into innovative design solutions and product concepts
• Regularly present design work to category leaders
• Knowledge of competitive landscape, market segments
• Ongoing analysis of market trends and category influencers
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or equivalent
• Minimum 3 years of experience in product or fashion design
• Experience using industry tools – Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchbook, Keyshot, SolidWorks, etc.
• Animation experience in Flash or After Effects a plus
• Strong fundamentals – sketching, concept creation, form development, and visual communication
• Understanding of manufacturing materials and processes
• Excellent communication skills – English speaking
• Creative thinker + problem solver
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously
• Ability to identify trends and opportunities in the marketplace
• A proactive worker with a positive attitude
• Experience bringing products to market a plus
• Organized and consistently delivers project work on time
TOMY International is a leading global designer, producer and marketer of a broad range of innovative, high quality toys made under the TOMY®, Ertl®, Johnny Lightning® and Tomica® brands as well as nursery products for mothers, infants and toddlers marketed under its The First Years®, Lamaze and JJ Cole® Collections brands. TOMY also markets its products under popular and classic licenses such as Pokemon, Transformers, Dinosaur Train, John Deere, Disney’s Winnie the Pooh, Princesses, Cars, Fairies, and Toy Story. TOMY’s mission is to inspire and fulfill the dreams of children and parents worldwide. TOMY reaches its target consumers through multiple channels of distribution supporting more than 25,000 retail outlets throughout Asia, North and South America, Europe and Australia. TOMY International is a wholly owned subsidiary of Japan-based TOMY Company, Ltd (Tokyo Stock Exchange Code No. 7867).
Apply Now for this job!
Check out all the latest design openings on Yanko Design Job Board
Or recruit your ideal candidate by posting a job here!