How Skeletal can an H Bike Be?

Made to be above all minimal. Should I be funny and just leave that one sentence as a description? Nay! Naw! Heck naw! Let’s talk all about this bike right here, buddy! The lines on it are simple yet dynamic. The shape is extreme, as if we were living on an alternate timeline where this bike had grown from a bizarro world history. And what is it made of? Carbon! And what’s its name? Hybrid City!

Yes, this is a carbon-based life-form. This makeup allows for maximum weight reduction in the end product.

So let me tell you. The one thing I got a big problem with. HUGE PROBLEM. Is that it’s not covered with butterflies. Ever since I saw that design so many months ago, I just cannot get it out of my head. BUT! I’ll tell ye what. The matte black on this bike does quite the trick. If anything is going to blank my platter, it’s going to be matte. Very wild! And why is it called hybrid? Because it’s half electric? No way. It’s because it’s got high fashion and extreme styling at the same time as being ready to be considered a premium city bike for commuting and extensive rider base. That’s it!

Designer: Peter Dudas

Hybrid City Bike by Peter Dudas

hybridcitybike02

hybridcitybike04

hybridcitybike05

hybridcitybike03

• VaniPod says:

Is it actually sold somewhere ? I’m very impressed by the design !

• Carsten says:

Where are the brakes?

• Mystikan says:

It’s probably fitted with back-pedal brakes.

• Mauriciox says:

Dude, if you pay attention, brakes are not necessary because the wheel, it is toothed, so if you don't move the treadle, the wheel just does not move…easy…. Regards!

• Alex says:

And suddenly stopping while going downhill because you stop pedalling would not be exactly…. safe

• Mauriciox says:

• Alex says:

• Gunnar Tveiten says:

Wheels like these are very popular with “designers”, they don’t actually -exist- in a usable, practical, durable form though.

The bike would also be lighter AND stiffer with some kinda connection between saddle and rear-wheel, but then it’d look less “cool” I guess.

• David says:

Actually, if as the lead in to the photographs is correct, the use of carbon structures (like carbon-fiber-composite), rigidity would be achieved through the use of the material, so an additional support between the saddle and rear wheel would be unnecessary.

• David says:

• Adam says:

Ugh, away with the contagious negativity. Hubless wheels do exist in usable practical durable form. Here's a product that uses the wheels (albeit much smaller) and is actually manufactured: https://www.yankodesign.com/2010/09/30/yipee-it%E2

• Adam says:

• Marcelo says:

Somebody know this is usable??

• brack says:

love that it has fewer parts, but just doesn’t look like it would function as a bike is advertised. the product would need to be tested by those skeptics before purchase.

• mif991 says:

Good school project.

• ch says:

Powerful design… I love it !

• Reuben says:

This is pretty cool design, however I can see a few problems regarding weight:

1) frame – There is a reason why bikes are a truss with all loads axial. Trusses allow very light sections. To have a bike designed like this you would need a lot of meat in those members as they are functioning as beams and cantilevers most likely making it pretty heavy.

2) wheels – There is a reason why bikes normally have spokes. The spokes reduce the required thickness of the rim. If you had these spoke less wheels you would have to have a very solid rim which I believe would be very heavy.

Get an engineers to verify the design next time.

Keep up the good work 🙂

Reubz

• Tanguy says:

Spokes keep the wheel round. Hubless wheels indeed need to find their rigidity elsewhere somehow. Putting the wheel/frame connection so high is a geometrical flaw. The rim and the frame would endure much less strain if the connection was close to the wheel/ground contact point, it’s a matter of leverage. So keep the frame going straight down after the pedal axis; going up without reaching the seat is just a non functional retro approach. Same principle applies to the front wheel, a fork reaching the rim near the ground would hold better. Bike design is first of all about physics and geometry… the good old stuff like gravity, strain, fatigue, water, dirt… and looking cool !

• SkyWay says:

Then again, if he puts them where the laws of physics would require, the connection would be exposed to a lot of dirt, sand, mud, all those nice things you have in the real world 🙂

If there is a need for coolness, I’d go with those wheels for track use, with fewer spokes or those solid types.

Additionally, the way the frame is done, open-ended triangle, is a bit shaky in my mind. Can’t find the durability in that, at least not with a connection as thin as that.

• Doohickie says:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• Cara says:

design with no engineering is a fantasy.

• hjippe says:

nice surface treatment on the frame, though useless design
    I’m so sick of seeing these silly bike designs popping up on a frequent basis. DO SOME RESEARCH.

• powers says:

But what does Zippy have to say about it?

• Elepski says:

Hubless wheel designs work just fine… they are just a bit more complicated and expensive… that’s why they have not gained widespread use yet.

• ted says:

lOVE THIS. iT MAKES ME ALL WARM AND FUZZY. i WANT ONE. “zOOM…..zOOM, wHATARIDE!

tED

• anon says:

That “matte” black is awful glossy.

• lulapalula says:

very nice pj peter

• Shawn Gulden says:

ok so some people are still in the stone-age that stuff called carbonfiber can be 100 times stronger then any metal when used properly and an electric hybrid upgrade with totaly inclosed gears i just might sell one my spare organs for that

• Shawn Gulden says:

• Mystikan says:

It’s probably fitted with back-pedal brakes.

• very cool. would love to have one of these

• very cool. would love to have one of these

• erkson says:

the one speed bike makes a come back

• erkson says:

the one speed bike makes a come back

• jeffzelaya says:

Such a beauty! I want one.

• jeffzelaya says:

Such a beauty! I want one.

• engr says:

I am curious to know how the drive train works… no chain, no shaft magically going through the wheel… an electric generator in the petals driving an electric motor to the rear wheel, perhaps? seems like an awful lot of energy loss there… disregarding the structural integrity, getting it moving seems to be a challenge… looks stellar though, I would definitely want to buy one if it worked.

• engr says:

• Mercedes says:

Where can I have a bike like that ?

• Mercedes says:

Where can I have a bike like that ?

• Pablo says:

Love the bike but the pedals are not appropriate for the city

• Pablo says:

Love the bike but the pedals are not appropriate for the city

• Cody says:

one way to make it work is to have the pedals turn a driveshaft that in turn, causes a smaller wheel encased in the assembly that holds up that rear wheel. that smaller wheel would be touching the large wheel (the one that actually makes road contact) and causes it to turn.

• Cody says:

• Dan says:

Lovely design. I'ld really be interested in testing its usability.

• Dan says:

Lovely design. I'ld really be interested in testing its usability.

• Rob says:

Look closely at the wheels, you will see that they are not actually hubless, but have a very large, open center hub. The black ring you see around the inside of the wheel is actually part of the frame, therefore, a large hub for the wheel.

• Rob says:

• killerprone says:

Дизайн конечно хороший, но ездит ли он?

• killerprone says:

Дизайн конечно хороший, но ездит ли он?

• aynadan says:

therefore, a large hub for the wheel

• aynadan says:

therefore, a large hub for the wheel

• Electra says:

When i see such pictures i cannot stop thinking that design truely is a form of art.
    The purety of the line and the beauty of the whole bike is truely amazing.
    Certainly not the kind of bike you would dare to let a single minute attached on a pillar in the streets lol

• krdr says:

Exact design is not viable. There’s no power train between pedals and rear wheel, nor gears could be enclosed in those tiny structures. One solution would be to make rear wheel a electric motor and connect pedals with electric generator. That would add some volume to the design. Also, current design doesn’t offer any space for batteries.

• Geoffrey says:

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, therefore he/she
    desires to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

• You’re so cool! I do not suppose I’ve read through anything
    like this before. So good to discover another person with a
    few genuine thoughts on this topic. Really.
    . many thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!

• iron skillet says:

Sweet blog! I foud it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in
    Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

• I have fun with, result in I discovered just what I was having a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a great day. Bye

• Ariel says:

Actually no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of afterward its up to other users that they will
    help, so here it takes place.

• James says:

That is the coolest design for a bike ive ever seen, please make this reality! I would take out a mortgage to get this bike haha