This camera is Outta Sight!

I will admit, upon first reading and laying eyes on this design I almost laughed out loud. Not because of the design, but for its intended purpose. Designer Chueh Lee over at Samsung China has designed what may be the worlds first camera for the blind, the “Touch Sight”. Yup, you read me right…a camera for the blind. Chueh actually makes a good argument for such a design. Chueh notes:

“Touch Sight is a revolutionary digital camera designed for visually impaired people. Simple features make it easy to use, including a unique feature which records sound for three seconds after pressing the shutter button. The user can then use the sound as reference when reviewing and managing the photos. Touch Sight does not have an LCD but instead has a lightweight, flexible Braille display sheet which displays a 3D image by embossing the surface, allowing the user to touch their photo. The sound file and picture document combine to become a touchable photo that is saved in the device and can be uploaded to share with others–and downloaded to other Touch Sight cameras.”

One interesting aspect discovered by Chueh in his research is that holding the camera to the forehead is the optimal position for this device. He discovered that “at the Beit Ha’iver (Center for the Blind) in Herzliya, Israel, the instructor who teaches a photography course for the visually impaired discovered that holding the camera to the forehead, like a third eye, is the best way for them to stabilize and aim the camera. The instructor also found the visually impaired have no problems estimating distances, since their sense of hearing is especially sharp. Every rustle of wind in the trees catches their attention and can be used to judge distances. Other senses come into play as well. The heat of the sun or a lamp in a living room, for example, signals a direct source of light. They regularly use their non-visual senses to feel the world and manifest it into a mental photograph.”

This is simply a wonderful idea and I hope it actually makes it to market, not only for the blind of the world but I personally can’t wait to try this out with my girlfriend and literally feel our private photo sessions. Yup, I am a perv deal with it.

Designer: Chueh Lee, Liqing Zou, Ning Xu, Saiyou Ma, Dan Hu, Fengshun Jiang & Zhenhui Sun

120 Comments

  • Luiz Esmiralha says:

    Where did you come up with this statistics? Most blind people in the WORLD (you know, that place outside your backyard) in fact DO read Braille. Most blind people don’t have the money to buy computers or recorded books. And most blind people want to read by themselves and not listen to someone reading to them.

  • Luiz Esmiralha says:

    They want to SHOW their photographs to OTHER people that can see! How about you spend some time with blind people before coming to your conclusions!

  • Marketing jest jednym spośród najważniejszych działów w większości firm.
    Działania marketingowe są oraz dźwignią sukcesu dla wielu firm.
    Z tego powodu raz za razem częściej podejmowane są działania marketingowe, które wykorzystują niezwykle różne formy przekazu a różne kanały w jakich
    można przekaz marketingowy prezentować. Coraz z większym natężeniem cieszący się popularnością w tym względzie staje się
    kanał internetowy w jakim możemy zastać się z nowymi
    możliwościami tworzenia reklam. Dla firm ogromnie grunt jest, iżby mieć zgodny
    marka 3d, jaki spośród jednej okolica jest prosty do zapamiętania za pośrednictwem odbiorców, tudzież z drugiej okolica
    pozwala oraz na stworzenie pewnej symboliki z przedtem związanej.
    Z tego powodu niezmiernie ważne stają się działania, jakie są przez nas podejmowane obecnie na etapie, gdy księga znaku wykonywane
    jest Projektowanie logotypu. Ważne jest, iżby selekcjonować takie firmy, które mają w tym temacie odpowiednio doświadczenie.
    Przy zamówieniu logo firmy lepiej jest strzelić z ucha trochę większe pieniądze, które zapewnią nam oryginalny
    i mający wysoki przesłanie projekt. W ów badania znacznie łatwiejsza będzie rozpoznawanie wizualna firmy, i oraz dyrygowanie skutecznych i nowoczesnych działań marketingowych.
    Im są one z większym natężeniem rozbudowane tym możemy szacować na bardziej
    natężony szczęście jaki będziemy mogli odnieść na rynku.
    Przy silnej konkurencji wszelkie działania, jakie podejmowane są przez firmy mogą dysponować istotny waga na środki utrzymania firmy.
    Z tego powodu nie warto jest lekceważyć żadnych potencjał jakie dają przybory marketingowe, jako że ów
    postępowanie możemy utrudnić sobie działania rynkowe.

  • Rectangle look: Exchangeable to the square regulated healthy living aspect a convinced attitude toward living.

    Try to forfend eating on or team if you eat something
    that’s actually high in rapidly metabolized boodle.
    So its not but a health tip, watermelon vine is a tasty and this
    could be an hypersensitised chemical reaction, pink eye or level merely a
    low rip vessel in the eye. These occur due to the mucosal
    facing of the stomach equaling more hard for dogs healthy living or guys
    to pass judgment spatial fluctuations. Chest anguish or discomfortUpper body attention is decorous more than
    than and more than than sophisticated.

  • Hassna says:

    oh I love your site

  • dale says:

    My young friend is legally blind, and holds text 2 inches from her face to read. Could she use a regular digital camera to take a picture, then use the zoom to see details of far-away objects?

    Would an i-pad be better?

    Has anyone tried this?

  • Adele says:

    This is very interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and stay up for in the hunt for
    more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your website
    in my social networks

  • Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of this webpage, this weblog is genuinely
    amazing.

  • Aditya says:

    Hello Cindy,
    I dont know if this page still sees comments, but I’m currently working on a similar idea and would be glad for some inputs.

  • whoah this blog is great i really likke studying your posts.
    Keep up the great work! You understand, lots of persons are searching round foor this info,
    yyou can aid them greatly.

  • Hi there!

    My name is Natalia, I’m a product design student from Porto Alegre, Brazil, and I’m doing my university final project about visually-impaired and blind photographers. I did an online questionnaire that intents to understand better who are the blind photographers around the world and what kind of needs, expertises and desires they have. At the end of my project, my aim is to design a product that can somehow make an easier/better/stronger connection between people with visual disabilities and photography.

    I came here to ask your help to answer and share this with as many visually-impaired and blind photographers as possible, because I’m facing some dificulties to find people to answer it. Would you mind sharing it?

    This is the link for the questionnaire: http://bit.ly/1eWUB8A

    Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any doubt.

    I really appreciate.

    Best regards,
    Natalia Blauth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>