The Assisted Move

The process where caregivers have to shift their wards from a wheelchair to their bed can get tedious and cumbersome. The Lady Shifting is an aid that allows them to transfer the person for their chair to the bed and vice versa, with ease. The following video explains it all.

Designers: Tsai Jui-An, Tsai Meng-Hong & Cheng Ka-Man

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• Mauricio Aragon says:

It’s a very nice start,design for disability is great. Particulary in this case I believe it can be improve by checking the possibility of people in this conditions to keep their legs in a 90 degrees angle when they are being pulled away from their wheelchairs. Regularly they don’t have enought strenght in their legs to do this.

• stephen russell says:

For hospitals worldwide, VA centers, & for home use too
      Must mass produce.

• Marc says:

It’s an interesting idea and I applaud you for looking at design for those with disabilities, as my daughter is someone who is non-ambulatory and non-communicative. A couple of issues:

1. Most people with a disability who need assistance in transfers can put little or no weight on certain parts of their bodies, particularly legs and spine. Your design looks as though it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on both of those areas.

2. For others, motor control and planning is particularly difficult, thus it hard to imagine someone who has limited movement or someone who lacks the ambulatory strength to maintain balance in your transfer device. I could easily see them falling of the sides quite easily.

I think this has the potential for transferring those with some amount of mobility, but not for others. Again, thank you for researching and designing something that has the potential to help those in need.

The Fire Breathing Duck

• marge says:

good idea but may be there needs to be an opening where your knees should be

• Chris J says:

You guys are getting the way this works wrong.

Most of the weight and pressure is up at the shoulders and chest. The knee and foot areas are just for holding and positioning. By holding the arms you simply rotate the body forward. It’s like a hand truck full of milk cases. You shift the balance from “away” to “balanced”. Then simply turn, and let down “away” again.

This would work for people with no mobility at all, as long as the caregiver can pull their arms up into the position shown.

An opening where your knees should be would completely defeat this device. The person would fall through and pull away from the top.

• jun says:

Thoughtful design with gently..

• Sharon says:

I really could use this at my job

• Sharon says:

I really could use this at my job !

• cybrpnk says:

this is great design

2 years ago I wouldn’t have given a second look at it. I had sympathy for people with disabilities and that was it.

However after my stroke I have developed a sense of empathy especially in industrial design and this is what design is about

Keep up the great work

• morgan says:

this is a truly fantastic idea.

• nm says:

i really love it

• Jaime says:

This product has the potential to become a a really good product if you put more thought into it, keep working it, it is not done yet

• katie says:

I have several big issues with the use of this product for assisted transfers. 1) the amount of strain and pulling that would be required of the patient’s shoulders is horrible. Shoulders can easily be pulled out of joint causing permanent injury and pain. 2) The harness is very insufficient. Many would simply slip down, ending up on the floor and again, injuring their shoulders. 3) Patient’s requiring this much assist to transfer with doubtfully have enough trunk strength to maintain the forward flexed position. It’s a good idea, keep working on it.

• joe luk says:

where to buy ‘ lady shifting’ apparatus ? thanks

• Kurmes holger says:

Hello !
      My name is holger kurmes and i am from romania and i am interested ti buy a lady shifting ! Hoe much did it cost? I really want to buy it for may grandmother! Please give me more information ! My mail adress is

• Carlos Alberto Ricardo Gómez says:

buenos dias!
      me gustaría adquirir un The Assisted Move , vivo en Colombia Sur America,tengo un paciente en casade 19 años con distrofia muscular de Duchenne ¿donde lo puedo comprar, cuanto cuesta?

• joseph says:

Thank you for your passion, this is very good idea and nice design, I really love it.