The Modern Milking Stool

“All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.” Inspired by the artist Grant Wood’s famous quote, the Milking Stool has all the trappings of a really good idea. The stool is simple, however unique with its contrasted tones of cork and ply, as well as its additional smart strip of bright stainless steel that belts the whole thing together like a ribbon. Lightweight, stackable, eco-friendly, recyclable, and visually charming… what more could you ask for?!

Designer: Noddy Boffin

• Zan says:

How can a stool with a seat made of cork be Eco-friendly? Is the corktree “ecologically” grown? :/

• Zan Zanook says:

• Quintin says:

It does not seem any more sustainable than any other old milking stool. Perhaps even less sustainable; it uses 3 different materials instead of just one (solid wood) and needs a lot more work and expensive machinery (try making plywood with hand tools…).

The metal band is an interesting way to attach the feet, that is about it…

• ejb says:

In response to the two comments above.
    Zan: Yes, cork is very eco-friendly. Cork is sourced from the bark of Cork Oaks. Sections of bark are removed, leaving the tree still standing to produce more material. it never dies and acts as a continual supplier of cork for the tree’s natural life. It doesn’t get any greener than that.

Quintin: I see your point, but don’t think this stool is less sustainable than other stools out there. The three different materials used are all able to be separated and fed back in to material streams for recycling with ease; all three are easily recycled or able to decompose back into organic cycles (mainly the cork). I think its an interesting response to the mundane, timber equivalents out there…

• Quintin says:

ejb: Yes, cradle to cradle is great. But in my opinion, sustainability/eco-friendlyness is also about how long an object will last.
    There must be solid wood milking stools out there that are many decades old. How well will this hold up?

It is a nice looking and perhaps more functional (stackable) change from the ordinary stool, present it as such. Why present is as more recyclable or eco-friendly than the old alternative?

• This is a great take in the consistent quest to find something that is classic with a modern twist. In some respects, this stool is modern with a classic twist. That it is created with sustainability in mind also adds another dimension. This is really neat.

• who needs milking stools these days? i know there are quite a few left but mainly in less fortunate places where you have to milk cows or goats yourself. For the most part isn’t the milking process almost completely automated?

• Hunter says:

“All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.”

Can’t say I agree. All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was a) 5 seconds from falling asleep, b) showering.