Hallucinating Player Hovers

The Melody Balloon is on its own trip, and by this I mean it flies, floats, hovers…whatever! While it’s on trip to la la land, the player stays grounded thanks to the earbuds fixed into your ears. Silly as this may sound to some, but children these days find no pleasure in the helium filled balloons, this Melody Balloon is more their types. Kinda like their RC planes, only this one’s flight and play are controlled via the finger ring that it comes with. Conventional folks may want to keep this rooted to the battery recharger.

Designer: Yoonsang Kim

melodyballoon

melodyballoon2

melodyballoon3

melodyballoon4

Melody Balloon Flying MP3 Player by Yoonsang Kim

• TonyP says:

why would something with such a small capacity for helium (or whatever lighter than air substance that is to be used) float?

I personally doubt if there is anything that is sufficiently lighter than the surrounding air (and I include “nothing” – ie. a vacuum – when I say that) to make something this small float.

As an experiment, try getting a helium filled party balloon and see how much weight it will support (attach small pieces of card to the string to find out).

All of this annoying physics to one side though, I think it’s a great idea, which could really take off (pun intended).

• Radhika Seth says:

Umm I think you misinterpreted the writeup a bit here. What i am suggesting is that instead of holding a gas balloon (like helium) children would gush over something like this. What makes this MP3 player “fly” is not indicated by the designer. it probably has some mechanism (like those RC choppers and planes) in it, since its controlled by a remote control.

• Confucius says:

Mmm, thats the crux of the design though Radhika – how it works. Which it can’t. If we didn’t have any restrictions in the world, Yanko wouldn’t be the same now would it. Design is about working with what laws of science has available, and theoretically possible things in the future.

Although this is a nice design, it either floats with the universal magic element unobtainabilium. Or has some NASA designed rotor blades, that can elevate the device without A: creating noise (to render the MP3 playing ability useless) and B: can produce lift without a downdraft.

If ipossible is your thing. You might as well have invisible everything. MP3 players, cars etc. Yanko would have some nice pictures of backgrounds as posts. I might send some in 🙂

• mif991 says:

Really good job Yoongsang. I can see my kids wanting it. Looks like your own personal UFO following around. Cool.

• Brennan says:

Novelty? Yeah. Great.

Physics? Nope. Almost impossible.

Practical? Nope. Walk out on any street with any amount of breeze and your ipod is gone. Great.

Kids wearing them in school or in cars/busses on their way to school? Nope. Tangles and mess everywhere.

I’ll keep my music in my hand, thanks.

• James says:

my ipos touch will do fine for now i think

• frezzingaces says:

there will be horror stories on cnn about how some kid in Arizona got carried away in a breeze by his headphones lol

• Gsus says:

…come on

• joko says:

how much is this????

• joko says:

how much is melody balloon prices??

• Dash'n says:

So let's see . . why are we still stuck wanting one?

• Dash'n says:

So let’s see . . why are we still stuck wanting one?

• hotchicksmakingout says:

It's cool if you're around the house, but theft would be way too incredibly easy to pull off. You're walkin' down the sidewalk and *YOINK* you're out a $X00(0) piece of equipment and a pair of headphones.

Fun, innovative, interesting
    YET
    not physically possible, not safe.

• hotchicksmakingout says:

Fun, innovative, interesting
    YET
    not physically possible, not safe.