No More Trippin Wires

The thing with extension cords is that they look ugly and the wires are a prime accident zones for tripping. There is nothing Elegant about them! Unless you’re looking at the “Post Line”, this one’s a gorgeous concept that makes full use of the circuit-printing technology and electrostatic paste material. Use it from point A (gadget) to point B (wall socket) by sticking it flat to the floor, and if it becomes less sticky and grimy, simply wipe it clean and its sticky flat extension cord tape again!

Designer: Chen Ju Wei

postline

Post Line Flat Extension Wire by Chen Ju Wei

postline3

• Gustavo Miranda says:

That’s nice, but also is the most dangerous extension I’ve seen…

• Amy says:

I think it’s a wonderful idea. I don’t think that it’s any more dangerous then a regular ext cord. Hmmm

• longtea says:

lack of details, but the idea is still shining.

• Name says:

interesting i guess but unlikely to meet any international safety standards.

• the user says:

totally dangerous. any sharp punctures will expose open wires. yikes!

• Dimka says:

Network cable please 🙂

• Chris Kim says:

Hahahah. We should run both RJ45-CAT6 and Fiber Optic cables through them.

We could probably embed them under tile/hardwood floor/carpet

This is the future of Patch Cabling 😀

• Confucius says:

Can we get an electrician to comment, pessimistically I’m concerned that this wire technology is too minute ‘gauge’ to carry 110-240V…

• Alain says:

No earth wire, fancy shape of wire profile is pretty but uses more wire than necessary and the sharp bends will be a problem with higher currents. Getting current carrying capacity will make it a bit bulkier than shown. Parallel conductors make a nice capacitor.

• Chris Kim says:

There is probably enough area on the strip to extend the metal conductors for it.

• Chris Kim says:

I’m tempted to work on this, is there someone I need to talk to for using the idea? I’ve got great ideas for preventing the cutting of the wires. I’ll start postline.com

• As an electrician and an electronic-tech…. I’m concerned with the lack of ground conductor.
    Not a concern for powering simple Lamps; or other 2 prong devices…. but for other things related more too the Pro-Audio-World; this may cause a problem.
    (And I’m aware that this is only a 3-d simulated representation of the concept… but a ground-conductor is highly suggested!)

As for the appearance of the wire-gauge not large enough to handle 120-240V:
    Wire gauge is directly related to the amount of Current that the cable can safely carry, without heating up to an unsafe temperature…
    I’ve send 120 volts down a standard Telephone cable before… The high voltage has no negative safety effect. (As long as the Insulation can resist the voltage; you can send 1000+ volts down any wire!)

Parallel conductors do act as a capacitor to some point… but if you’re concerned about it in this case: then you must be freaking out about the Romex that is in the walls of your house, or 10-20 wires sitting in the same conduit… not to mention every extension cord that you’ve ever used or owned!

Breakage may be an issue; but as mentioned: any extension cord can be pierced/damaged, exposing live conductors.

Something like this already exists… it’s just not commonly used for 120-240v:
    Goggle ‘Flexible Circuit Boards’ and you might understand what I mean…

Take care;
    -Tristan Miller

• paul says:

How much ? I work for a company that would use this every day on the tv installs.

• paul says:

• simdude2u says:

how much amps can it carry?

• abilgl says:

As for the ground wire, although the image does not represent three wires, I assume this was due to the designer making the image look “pretty”; however, the design appears to have a ground- the yellow peice of the plug…

• mandylifeboats says:

that looks dangerous. what if it gets hot and ignites the rug?

• Todd B. says:

I am a technician that often runs wires for semis and trailers so I’ll give you my thoughts.

As a concept this would work. Computer circuit boards often have thin but wide strips of material for electricity to pass and not heat up the wire too much. But, those also aren’t that flexible. So the idea of rolling it up after everyday use doesn’t seem too ideal. It’d be more of a set it once for long term usage.

Safety: materials can be different depend on need. Since this states it to be designed to go under rugs and such. Wear an tear may not be to great. If it were me I still want a little more protection. At least have the power and return wire rapped separately to help prevent possible shorts.

While I will admit it looks good. It’s not something I’d buy personally for use at home or at work.

• Chris says:

This product is a fire waiting to happen.

• pete says:

It’s a concept design. Like a design of an astronaut base in Mars. It may not be practical now, but it’s an interesting concept to have a flat extension cord, besides the technical problems it’s actual manufacture may bring. I think it’s cool, and it looks cool. I probably wouldn’t use it as it is presented, but I like it.

• Toby says:

Brilliant idea, get it on Kickstarter!

• Dave says:

I’m not so worried about voltage as I am amps. Deep concern about using these on a 20 to 25 amp circuit.

• Ed Owens says:

To fool proof it it just needs an arc fault device on the cord plug in. If cut or damaged the af device would trip preventing any fire. Similar to gfci device on hair dryer. Like extension cords it is limited to how much power can flow thru it by rating it

• John says:

False. There is much more shielding and insulation in the current system. I would be interested in seeing specs for this wire, but I do not see any way for them to meet current codes and have it lie as flat as they say it does. Interesting concept, but I agree that it probably will not be safe enough to become marketable

• Joel says:

I would love to have a flat wire like this. Regardless of the dispute, I think someone will find a way to make it happen.

• Lynell says:

I love this, but will the manufacturer kindly provide proof of safety, certifications, etc., before my friends run it under all their carpets and burn down their homes!

• Elle says:

How much money would one if those cost

• Aussie Mum says:

This is an awesome idea and when it goes to production for retail please consider producing for the Australian Market too. Great work…..

• Kiwe says:

Where can I purchase this extension cord?
    It’s perfect for the bookshelf system holding the tv. Small apartment, no options for moving wiring. Please someone send me at least 3!!!

• Kiwe says:

Where can I purchase this extension cord?
    Tiny apartment, no options for moving wiring. Please someone send me at least 3!!!

• cordell says:

Chen
    hello, Im a design engineer you have a great idea, I think with a few changes to meet UL code requirements and talking to the right people this is a winner of a idea. I can think of hundreds of applications for this
    I would love to work with you.
    cordell benton

• cordell says:

Chen
    Hello, I’m a design engineer you have a great idea, I think with a few changes to meet UL code requirements and talking to the right people this is a winner of a idea. I can think of hundreds of applications for this
    I would love to work with you.
    cordell

• Scott says:

Hi,
    We are looking for an extension lead ” flat tape” design just like that designed by Chen Jun Wei. 5 Meters long and an adaptor to suit Australian power connection. We are using for a lounge suite located in the middle of a lounge which requires power connection for automatic reclining. Can you indicate how we can purchase and what is the cost involved?

Thank you we await your response!

• Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!

However, how could we communicate?

• Scott says:

Just send detail via email to us.

1. We require the extension lead to be 5 metres long

2. We require the lead to be suitable to run a regular household appliance

3. The pin connection needs to be suitable for Australia

Thanks Scott

• Nathan says:

Hi I’m also looking to purchase an extension cord that is suitable for Australia, do you make any?
        Thanks

• Kenny says:

I want to purchase. How? How much? Thank you.

• Paul says:

light guage wire uses would certainly be much more do-able than heavy guage uses which would present some difficult challenges, e.g. ground wire, guage thickness and insulation, etc.

• betty says:

I like it, but where do I buy it?

• I Actually not long ago set up our steam shower unit,
    the best item I have decided to buy for some time, children and family members
    like it so much, can’t see everyone turning back to normal showers ever again

• Grombie says:

This concept can actually be built. their are materials that are very flexible and yet very strong to resist punctures. your saying that a sharp object will expose open wires. I hope you DO NOT use any current extension cords because they puncture as well. They do not say how flat they are thinking it will be and as i said extension cords have not changed much and most of what u think of in an extension cord is nothing but filler. a Semi hard plastic would work nicely. as this cord does not seem like it should really be making the turns that traditional cords do but be for things like lights or entertainment or more permanent needs of an extension cord. also it looks awesome.

• David says:

Do they not have WiFi where you are from?

• That Guy says:

Are you kidding? That product has a 1/2″ height, which is not even close to the concept presented here. At least read the specs of items you are posting.

• Bob R says:

I am an electrical inspector! People will go and buy anything electrical without first checking to see if is a listed product, meaning is it UL listed or some other testing lab. All electrical products should be LISTED, to be sure that they are safe to use in our homes and place of work.
    It does show a ground, however can you make a change in direction ( think not).
    Great idea, if listed, it would have some restrictions.

• Good write-up. I definitely love this website.
    Stick with it!

• where can i buy it? im home designer. its nice to be part of my design

• Lucano says:

this is a rip off…
    since this design has been proposed soem 10 years ago(was on yankodesign back then), by a company that already produces this things, as “duct tape cables”.

cable is inside a duct tape… so it can be stick on any surface.

• John says:

Awesome! Thanks for the indepth reply. Much appreciated.

• Jesse says:

Where have you ever used a cable of this type for 20-25 amps. Just by the connector drawn on it, it is only rated for 15 max. Deep concern for you if you do anything in the electrical field. You seem like you think you know everything because you know there is a difference between volts and amps.

• Courtney says:

Price?

• erin says:

Can this be purchased? Please advise.

• zev says:

WARNING: Running an extension cord under a rug is a known formula for creating a fire. The cord can overheat, and cause your home to burn down. It can also short circuit, and create a spark, which will set the rug, and your home, on fire. The insurance company may refuse coverage, as this is “unapproved wiring”.

• Sonya Hohl says:

Where can this be bought? This would be a wonderful solution to go from outlet to item. Can this be run under a rug?