Finger Power Works The Tape

No matter how much we progress as far as technology is concerned, we always look back towards retro stalwarts for inspiration in the designing field. NVDRS Tape foxes around in the Cassette Tape construction but is actually a digital player. Deceptive looks aside, the player continues to follow the 45/60/90 minutes norm, holding 10/15/20 select songs in digital format; uploaded via USB.

Designers: Stefano Pertegato, Massimiliano Rampoldi, Eloisa Tolu, Francesco Schiraldi & Giovanni Mendini

There are a couple of things regarding this player that really stands out. Like for example, if you want to forward or rewind a song, you need to manually do it by rotating the spools with your finger or pencil. To play just slide the Play Button.

Charging it depends how good are you at …you guessed it…rotating the spools! Rotating the second hole of the tape charges the kinetic battery. An LED light indicates the power status: Green-full charge; Amber- Medium Charge; Red- will die out any moment.

Between the two wheels is nestled a small display that only shows you the time elapsed for the song, nothing else! Both the 90 and 60-minute versions are housed in recycled aluminum enclosures, however the 45-min one is constructed from Polypropylene.

Retro, green and spunky makes this my wishlist priority.

• beeee says:

I really dig the calculator watch from the 80’s, to complete the theme.

Looks like a nice concept though, like the old school vibe of this project. But I really had no plans to ever carry a cassette tape with me ever again…

• Spoon says:

Love the concept. Nicely done. Is there some small screen to see what song is being played? One small row of text would be nice to have and it wouldn’t ruin the retro feel. Is there a clip of some sort on the product or the case? I would love to clip it on my parachute pants and go “hammer style” with my throwback mp3 player. Love the concept. Design on.

• MadCow says:

i like the way it charges, but not too sure bout the fwd/rew feature, seems like not much control there. would love to charge all my small devices that way.

• wil from France says:

i remember my youth
    i love it
    i want one
    you’re brillant
    bravo

• Jos says:

its funny. i created it the same like you one year ago, too. the concept isnt new but its interesting to see how other designers interpret the content.

only the how-to-use-renderings (with hands) are a bit low.

• ansley says:

wonderful. big questions… how much does it cost and where will it be sold? i want one!

• Keith says:

I actually have one of these if you want, I can sell it to you. It even has a slot for a MMC card on it. I bought this “concept” back in 1999 or 2000, I forget which. It is called the Rome mp3 player. It worked really well, considering the car I was driving had a tape deck, and this was cheaper and easier than installing a CD player at the time.

• jaydee says:

Year if this one will be produced, please let us know! I want one (if charging and scrubbing works fine) 🙂

• brack says:

I get the retro theme, but don’t see this as a practical everyday device. Its a novelty/fad and will sell like a novelty/fad.

Why doesn’t the manufacturer simply just use old cassette tapes for the housing? Reuse, Reuse, Reuse.

• Henrique Staino says:

Oh, I get it! Design is all about getting something and making it worse!

Superb!

• Todd says:

Great design. It conveys exactly what it does, with a clever retro nod.

• cyc4015 says:

too damn gimmickey. honestly, the rewind wouldn’t give you alot of control, and the charging? that strikes me as rediculous.

• Perfect invention. The beauty is on its simplicity and functionality. Congratulations for the environment concerns on this project too.

Great job!

• Henrique Staino says:

Functionality? What functionality?

Any mp3 player today can store at least ten times what this one can, can shuffle the songs, can skip songs, etc, while this one CAN’T! Not to mention the size.

Functionality?

• the point is that in an 80GB mp3 player you don't even know what music you've got in it.
        With 45mins of music you have to carefully choose your playlist.
        Less quantity, more quality.

• the point is that in an 80GB mp3 player you don’t even know what music you’ve got in it.
        With 45mins of music you have to carefully choose your playlist.
        Less quantity, more quality.

• confucius says:

Careful Now with the Big ‘I’ word. Innovation not invention. Nice innovation. id buy one if it came in fluorescent green 🙂

• When we designed this we noticed that all of us have got mp3 players that store tons of GB, and so we don't even think about what we dropped in it. It's possible we've got some songs we have never listened to.
    With the NVDRS_Tape you MUST think about what songs you want to listen: that's what I miss from the cassettes. Organizing a mixtape was an event, docking an iPod and let iTunes Genius choose your music for you is an everyday “task”..

• Kaiban says:

interesting concept that would be quite annoying in the real world. some things should stay undeveloped. add this to the time capsule, so that the 31st century can have a laugh.

• ssoltero says:

I’m tempted to purchase one of these for the novelty of it. I’m sure after they are released, the price will drop sharply in just a matter of weeks/months.

• HollywoodBob says:

You know that’d be 80% awesome if it worked in a cassette deck.

• nutbastard says:

it actually COULD be done, with a little ingenuity. You just have to have a digital to analog converter that would supply the magnetic head with data – really, the cassette adapters you get with a 3.5mm jack for plugging into an ipod is like, 90% of the way there.

what would be awesome is if at regular rotation it played as usual, but a quick fast forward would skip to the next song. and as with this, power it using the spools – AWESOME

• tande04 says:

I think the wind up is one of the greatest parts.

I wouldn’t use my finger thought, I’d use a pencil or a pen. I used to kill all sorts of time winding and rewinding tapes that way.

God I had a boring childhood.

• Seb says:

i love this idea! i bet it would get annoying very quickly, but it still seems cool.

the 45, 60 and 90 minute limitation is the only thing that falls a little short for me though.
    And the size too. But i guess if you want a proper “casette” then the actual size must stay.

but i still think this is awesome!

• LMS says:

that looks good!

• When we designed this we noticed that all of us have got mp3 players that store tons of GB, and so we don’t even think about what we dropped in it. It’s possible we’ve got some songs we have never listened to.
    With the NVDRS_Tape you MUST think about what songs you want to listen: that’s what I miss from the cassettes. Organizing a mixtape was an event, docking an iPod and let iTunes Genius choose your music for you is an everyday “task”..

• sascha says:

WOW! I absolutely want one! All three of them! What I like about the concept is, that is goes back to the time, where you actually had to decide which of your albums or cassettes you take with you on the go. Great! Will it be available somewhen? Ciao
    Sascha!

• Stefano Pertegato says:

Yeah iy will be available in the near future dude.
      We’re setting things up for a small 1000 items production to see if the market is ready to get this product.

As my friend Massimiliano told you before, we designed this going against every law of nowadays technology : less available space, less performances, less informations. Just love for music, as we 80ies grown up like.

This is way someone hates the NVDRS tape and someone loves it. The first 1000item production allows us to see if the market is ready for it.

• Good luck, it has been done before but markets and tastes shift with time. It appears you do have the retro gimmic on your side. Drop me a line at zippyflounder.com if you like, might be able to help you a bit.

• sascha says:

Well, I guess more than a thousand people will like this idea. Much more even. The devices are so beautiful and I promise, they will sell out in seconds – well, of course the price is also important here. 🙂
        Will there be an information on your page, when the production will start and when these gizmos will be available?

• ra says:

Great point made my someone about REUSE of old cassette tapes. Would be cheap too!

Def. better designed than other similar efforts. (There are several). Except for the inability to skip tracks– I don’t miss tapes per se–they have so many inconveniences; they just look cool!
    So I’d rather have my functionalities like a modern mp3 player.

• Sean says:

Brilliant idea – i especially like the idea of the cassette case as protection – but where’s the volume control?

• matt says:

hey i give you a round of applause. this is one of those products that I honestly at some point in my head, stop thinking about how you solved a problem because the end result is something I desire…..it’s a fun and classic product that makes my life better by making me happy to have it :).

PUT IT INTO PRODUCTIONNNN

• omaba says:

Cool pics. But it never gonna get to production. Surely some people will buy it for nostalgia or w/e, but “some” isn’t enough.

• Bingzhong says:

Where can this be purchased?
    I need something on the go.
    I currently own an iriver Spinn,
    and I want something just to take
    to school, without the fear of getting
    it stolen or dropped.

• luz says:

beautiful!! i need one of these

• Sam says:

I need one of these. I love the whole concept!!

• joao says:

for music tape lovers

check this out

• Ryan says:

I would get it if it was 45GB/60GB/90GB

• If it was 45/60/90 GB it would be just another fashionable mp3 player like the other. The thing is: you have to carefully choose the playlist, instead of putting anything on

• Eric Mousel says:

What 3D program did you use to model the tapes with? The person(s) who did it really did a nice job.

• TGWOSS says:

i really like this idea, if it were being produced i would definitely go pick one up for myself. i am just curious about how effective the kinetic energy would be, that would be nice as long as i wouldn’t have to sit around all day charging it. and also it would be nice if it could charge through USB also.

• i love this design, my only wish is that it had more storage for long trips.

• jomark says:

Cool retro. I want to own one.

• masaki says:

I definitely get one for myself when it comes out for sale.

45/60/90min used be enough even for a long trip.
    We just need to choose the playlist carefully, it’s a part of fun anyway though.

This doesn’t have to be like other MP3 players that I can not be sure of the actual playlist…

• You've perfectly hit the point!

• You’ve perfectly hit the point!

• Hi guys,

I really love the concept. IT ROCKS!!
        And I totally agree with the old school mixtapes.
        That is also why sites as muxtape became so popular in now time because people really made an effort to collect the right tracks in the right order.

I would love to start doing my podcasts especially for this device based on the 3 time lenghts!

PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED ON WHEN IT COMES AVAILABLE!!!

Laterz,

Soulfonic Source

• Jose T says:

Does anyone where I can buy those headphones in the back or info. about them?

• nimd4 says:

Tried replying to a comment, but:

ERROR:
    Threaded Comments can’t find the ‘addcomment’ div.
    This is probably because you have changed
    the comments.php file.
    Make sure there is a tag around the form
    that has the id ‘addcomment’

Anyway, this isn’t a very smart thing to say:

“Holes get larger just to fit a finger, avoiding original cassettes annoyances like using a pen to wind up the tape.”

ps. Shame there’s no song skipping, repeating, random, etc.

• Joax says:

man.. i buy this a soon as it’s availble 🙂 awesome stuff

• Spence says:

Would buy.

• Raquel says:

Maybe a good novelty item, but nothing more. Why settle for something like that when you have can have the ipod which stores more and lets you hear exactly what you want when you want it. The whole reason we developed cds, then ipods/mp3s, was so that we could skip the songs we didn’t feel like listening to–you’re going technologically backwards.

• Techology is omnipotent. We just wanted you to think carefully about what you want to listen to.
      In an iPod you just put tons of music, complete discographies, … and then you don't even remember what you putted into.
      This is a complete different way of listening music, that you may don't like, of course, but it's a different thing, incomparable with any other mp3 player

In an iPod you just put tons of music, complete discographies, … and then you don’t even remember what you putted into.
      This is a complete different way of listening music, that you may don’t like, of course, but it’s a different thing, incomparable with any other mp3 player

• Nagaraju says:

Wonderful Design…Where i get it ..When it release in Market ..We are carzy about it …

• charles says:

If can hide inside the earphone cable, Would have been better …

• EmHatter Project says:

Excellent! I would definitely grab one of these.

Those complaining about the size or the method of controlling forward-reverse just don’t get the concept at all. The point was to have this be as close to a real cassette mixtape as possible, only with the portability and durability of an mp3 player in mind (no clunky tape players or snapped tape). The best part about it I think is the little screen that shows the “progress” just like a real casette tape would have shown with it’s reels.

The only thing I’m not sure about is charging it by finger, but if it doesn’t take more than 3 minutes of taking the headphones out and twirling it around my finger, I wouldn’t mind at all.

• Jeremiah says:

Dude, this idea is awesome. Best of luck, if I see it on a shelf, you have my support 🙂

• Cueio says:

I want one!

• sylvana says:

When and where can you buy one? i want to one…and how much is it for the golden one?

• pocahontas says:

i totally love it. i still listen to my sony walkman & cassette tapes. to me it is so much easier to use. i love the tape design & the 45/60/90 minute limit because i usually listen to an entire tape over & over & over again. i would absolutley buy at least one.

• eboy says:

iwould actuallly buy this if the strage was lager ive cot more songs on my flashdrive and mircosd

• cob says: