Tech that lets you connect with kids…

We have all seen the nature shows where the baby deer wanders too far from its mom and gets pounced on by some hidden predator. Well aside from opposable thumbs, moms have a new way to differentiate themselves from our mammalian brethren. The “Link” Child Locator is a device that takes a page from the movie Alien, in that it allows for the tracking of your spawn as they hide in the clothing racks at your local Gap store. The product has 2 components, a bracelet worn by the child that contains a transmitter module that works at a range of up to 100′, and a watch-style bracelet worn by the parent that receives the child’s signal and indicates its direction and distance on a small LCD display. Hide-and-seek will never be the same.

Designer: Continuum Studio [ Via: I Love My Baby ]

Bracelet and receiver store together until needed.

Parent receiver on the left and on the right child bracelet that contains unique ID for each bracelet. Bracelet and strap are shaped to nest into each other.

• zippyflounder says:

a solution that is not a solution, not as effective as holding a childs hand, and provides a false sense of secuity to the parent.

• Nathan says:

If you’re a parent you know that it’s impossible to hold their hand all the time, and children have a nack for running off around the corner (while still usually being close, just out of sight) as soon as they get free.

• zippyflounder says:

was a parent, and when they were too young to understand that to “stay with me” ment right by my side their hand was held.

• Parent of Special Ne says:

Zippyflounder, your an idiot. I am the parent of a special needs child who is mildly retarded. No matter how Vigilant you are, it only takes one accident to lead to a disaster. Even if you are 99% perfect, it still means one time something will happen.

• parent of special ne says:

wouldn't it be great if we were all perfect parents who had alice around for all the household chores and whatnots so that we could devote our sole attention to nothing but our children…I'd go catheter in tow straight to parent of the year with zippy.

My son is a great kid who is learning to open the outside doors to our home and I've found that belting him to the kitchen chair is just wrong. He does not understand the concept of danger in any way no matter how I try to explain it. I have to go to the restroom from time to time, answer the phone, and yes blink…and he can be gone that fast.

We are great parents and zippy couldn't parent our kids with an army…a person who uses anything as a replacement for watching there kids isnt' looking for these items.

• Parent of Special Needs says:

• parent of special needs too says:

wouldn’t it be great if we were all perfect parents who had alice around for all the household chores and whatnots so that we could devote our sole attention to nothing but our children…I’d go catheter in tow straight to parent of the year with zippy.

My son is a great kid who is learning to open the outside doors to our home and I’ve found that belting him to the kitchen chair is just wrong. He does not understand the concept of danger in any way no matter how I try to explain it. I have to go to the restroom from time to time, answer the phone, and yes blink…and he can be gone that fast.

We are great parents and zippy couldn’t parent our kids with an army…a person who uses anything as a replacement for watching there kids isnt’ looking for these items.

• Dad of Five says:

it is a solution for assisting a parent should their child wander away. while nothing replaces careful attention of the parent (and I don’t think they are attempting to do that), this can be a very useful/life saving tool should something terrible happen. “holding hands” is not always an option – for a number of reasons ie. if you have more than 2 kids. if this provides a false sense of security for a parent, then shame on them. your comment is a bit short sided.

• Skip says:

you obviously do not have children.

• mariess says:

the kid looks pretty sad there, perhaps its the lack of freedom and constant nannying of its parents.

• Well, look on the bright side, it gives both parties abit of personal space and freedom, and at the same time, the parent could be busy washing dishes or something..it’d be good if the band comes in different colors, and can link to 2kids or more hoho..

• P7 says:

Well, I kind of love this idea. It gives kids a little more freedom as you can not hold them tight all the time. Kid is kid, Kid wants to explore, freedom and play. And some girls might want to hide it in her husband wallet during night out 😉

• Lim says:

I am too agree…. Even if i am a kid, i dont wish to be held captive…. This gives flexibility to the parents at the same time security to certain extent. Somehting that we need…

• HerHighness says:

I love it. I ALWAYS hold my 3 year old’s hand, but when she breaks free and runs for it (as she has done before) I can track her down without running through aisles (while she hides under a table). Or, on the freaky scary chance someone grabs her and hauls butt – I can lead a ravenous mob in her direction.

• soapy says:

This is fake. It’s a rendered drawing, not a real product. Firstly, there’s no way to get directional data from a system that small at both ends, and secondly, that “child bracelet” will not stay on a child’s wrist unless they are 14 (and so almost adult sized) and willing to wear it. Any young kids and it will simply fall off. Any kids up to mischief and it will be taken off in a heartbeat and end up in mommy’s pocket, and without a closed loop with a buckle or something, there’s no good way to alarm on that event.

• nemeru says:

i think we all can see that it’s a rendered drawing, my suggestion is a rendered 3d object, but whatever the case… most of these gizmos are concepts anyways, ‘t would be months maybe years before they actually come true… nevertheless, i am not to argue with you guys about anything… seem like everyone here has their own opinion and they’re not gonna change it… well, ima jet..

peace

• Mac.Tian says:

where are there selling ?
    where there are selling ?
    I want to buy.
    Who owns it

Please contact me

I want the Chinese agent

thanks

• jin_woo_han says:

not impressive as a Continuum

• kim seunghoon says:

I want to know price of this item.

• Zappe says:

I am serious interested in this locator. Let me know if it is only design idea or product and where would ba possible to order or buy it.
    Please contact me.

• jay says:

Just use a shock collar like for dog much cheaper

• javier says:

Hello,we are jewellers,and we would like to know,where can we get those whatches ,to sell them in our stores.
    thanks Javier

• ALEX ZANINOVICH says:

PLEASE I’M VERY INTERESTED IN THIS ITEM, PLEASE SEND ME ALL THE INFO ABOUTH THIS CHILD LOCATOR.
    THANKS

• xxblahxx says:

what if the kid takes it off?

• Valerie says:

What kind of range do they have?

• Karen says:

I love this concept! I have two children and find myself torn in different directions when we visit a busy play park. My 5 year old doesn’t want to play on the toddler apparatus and the little one is too small to play with the big kids. As we’re there to play I inevitably let them go their separate ways and loose track of one while watching the other, then suffer the stomach-lurching panic only a parent can relate to until I locate them again (and it can take ages sifting throught the hoards during school holidays). This kind of product would give both children freedom to play and more importantly explore without feeling stifled and/or anxious that I’m tearing my hair out hunting them down 😉
    I want one…no, I want one parent unit with 2 or better yet 4 kid units (for when we invite the kids’ friends out to play – the stomach-churning panic is doubled when the kids you’re trying to locate aren’t your own and you’re responsible).
    I believe this is still at the concept/protype stage which is a real shame as otherwise I would definitely be ordering one straight away. But as it’s at the design stage if anyone involved with getting this product to market reads this forum can I strongly recommend the multiple kids unit option (each kid unit could be displayed as a different colour on the parent unit).
    Fingers crossed this comes to the market soon, and at a sensible price.

• Robofire2 says:

This Bracelet needs some kind of lock on it, or else the child could take it off and it would be useless.

• Robofire2 says:

• Sam says:

If you do some research, you will see that Continuum, the designer, likely wanted to bring this product to market, but there is a patent troll out there, NTP, Inc., that is basically blocking this technology from hitting the market. I hate patent trolls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll.

NTP sued RIM a few years ago and won $615MM in a bogus law suit that was only settled because of the risk that the court would stop RIM from selling the Blackberry phone until the trial was ended. I guess you'll have to wait until someone partners with the patent trolls at NTP, or until the patent expires before this technology is really marketed.

• Sam says:

• Heather says:

I too am a parent of 2 special needs kids. I have one autistic child and another legally blind autistic child. It doesn’t take but one second for your kid to wander off. And if your child has special needs it is even harder to find them. Autistic children are known for wandering and elopement. This invention is great! All the naysayers should open their minds and hearts to the fact that there are not all “typical” children in the world and parents need these devices for piece of mind.

• Ala' says:

Please send me shipping details + price .VERY INTERESTED

• dilara says:

iliked this item. please send me all information about it. I want to know price of this item. thank u…

• christ says:

it’s a concept people! A CONCEPT! you can’t buy it, it’s just a CONCEPT

• Shannon Lamb says:

Parent of special needs I am with you. We have 2 sons with Aspergers and we are very Vigilant with watching our boys one that isn’t needed so much as he is 14 but the other who just turned 4 most of all. That being said our 4 yr old likes to wander and is very curious as are non neuro typical kids with special needs such as Aspergers. Since my oldest sons friend just died from drowning as he wandered we want some peace of mind to protect our child/children. We have started looking at tracking bracelets and that doesn’t make us lazy parents.

• Here says:

The gadget seems stunning. when will it come to the market?

• Tragedy of todays society. Parents are distracted by their smart phones. They are to busy texting, emailing, Facebook, or watching a stupid video on You Tube instead of spending quality time with their children. I have noticed it with my own grandchildren. My daughter comes home from work and gets on that darn phone and spends hours doing whatever. Her children run around looking for something to do and intentionally misbehave in hopes of getting a little attention from their mother. We as a nation had better get a grip on this situation immediately!

• As of mid-afternoon White House time on Tuesday, the had handily
    passed that threshold, garnering well over 77,000 signatories.

• Proximity devices have been around since the 90s. There was talk of even chipping kids. There is no substitute for good parenting. Why have children if you do not have the time to enjoy them.?
    I wish the inventor all the lick but this is just a twist on an old idea. This is the problem now a days. People want to monitor and evaluate everything they do like FitBit and other useless devices. I can not get my kids to put down their electronic devices long enough to experience the REAL world. It is a shame that everyone has to micro manage every aspect of life instead of just living it.
    On a personal note. I turned 55 yesterday Feb. 12 and time has flown by so fast that I am happy I spent very little online or with other gadgets. I went out and lived. Try it. You may like it…

• An extra precaution is always valuable. Glad they came up with proximity devices in 1990.