Perfect Geometric Ice Cubes

The Lékué ice cube tray creates perfect cubes of ice every time. Inspired by an industrial moulding technique, the cubes are formed at an angle to avoid the need to taper any of the faces. And here I thought ice cube trays couldn’t really evolve to improve any further. These remind me of the cubes used in TRON Legacy. Ice is so beautiful when cut to strict proportionate geometry.

Materials: Polypropylene

Designer: DesignWright for Lékué

• @upioneer says:

someone enlighten me how the top of the "cubes" wouldnt be flat? or somehow does this product defy gravity?

• @upioneer says:

someone enlighten me how the top of the “cubes” wouldnt be flat? or somehow does this product defy gravity?

• Blank says:

I think whats happening here is the cavity is recessed so that the highest point of the cube is below water when filled. So when you push down with the mating half and fasten it in place excess water spills over the sides. I could see this being really tricky to do though since you would have to do all of this in one fluid motion – push down quickly, then fasten halves together instantaneously. Just not worth it if you ask me.

• Blank says:

• Mike Barnard says:

To expand on Blank's comment, if you look closely you can see small holes in the tips of the top cubes. Water will flow out of those as the top is gently submerged until the entire angled cube is filled. Then a quick tilt will pour water out of the top leaving filled angled cubes behind. It actually makes one aspect of filling ice cube trays easier in that you just pour lots of water in, put the top on and pour off the excess.

Very neat, very nicely resolved design technically. However, I'm not sure how many people care about exactly square ice cubes or would even notice. As this same approach could be used to accommodate any shape that can be applied to a simple dual mold (top and bottom), you could imagine bunny rabbits, turtles, dodecahedrons, shells, etc. That's probably where you'll see more penetration.

Cheers,
    Mike

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike Barnard says:

Cheers,
    Mike

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike Barnard says:

Cheers,
    Mike

Cheers,
    Mike

• How about showing some photographs of the ice cubes outside of the mould in a glass or in a bowl so we can actually see what the end product looks like.

• I used to do that for punch with a wreath mold (kept the punch cold for hours and looked so pretty!!)

The boiling the water first is key – makes for crystal clear ice. After the mold begins to freeze a bit, I put maraschino cherries in it – then let it freeze solid. So festive!

• TOPRICE.IE says:

nice i like different shapes of ice cubes and those are realy nice :d

• TOPRICE.IE says:

nice i like different shapes of ice cubes and those are realy nice :d

• Ola Nystedt says:

nice one guys!

• Ola Nystedt says:

nice one guys!

• Thanks for the comments! I love all the technical chat about how it works, what the holes are for, etc. I’ll do my best to explain…..

You fill the bottom tray with water up to a line and snap-fit the two trays together. The action of closing it causes the water to rise up inside the peaks of each cube (the holes allow this), leaving each cubic void about 91% full of water and self-leveled. During freezing, the water expands to fill the remaining space (the second reason for the holes) to leave a complete cube. Any excess water can overflow through the holes (i.e. in case of overfilling). When you click open the trays, the cubes all release and drop into the bottom tray, so no struggling to serve them. That’s it really, a simple, fun, easy to use product for making lovely ice cubes…..

• Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe this web site needs much more
    attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the advice!

• trickycube says:

If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, only pay a visit this site
    all the time because it gives feature contents, thanks

• And if you have more people than will fit into our home for your stay, ask me about other options nearby in Dundee and Newberg.

• Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely useful information specially the closing part :
    ) I deal with such info much. I used to be seeking this
    ccertain information for a very lengthy time. Thank you and good luck.