Not Just Shells

The project you’re about to lay eyes on is not a nut. It’s not a shell either. Nor is it even organic. Nay! It is a nut cracker, and it has a name: Handy Nut. This lovely and elegant piece of industrial design sculpture is made our of a full porcelain cast, made to be conveniently ergonomic and smooth and gentle to the touch. Have you ever in your whole live seen such a classy cracker of nuts?

This project was created during a general workshop class tutored by Lena Dubinsky in the department of ceramic design at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, Jerusalem.

Designer: Michal Farago

• rodrigo says:

ummm how does it work??

• rodrigo says:

ummm how does it work??

• James says:

I shall reiterate rodrigo's question. How do you use it?

• James says:

I shall reiterate rodrigo's question. How do you use it?

• Terje says:

Erhh.. You place stone on fingers, as shown. Then place nut in palm, as shown. Close palm. Hard. Open hand, Eat nut, avoid crushed shell.

• Terje says:

• James says:

Um, placing a nut in my palm and something hard against it, then squeezing would not crack anything other than my fingers. If that were the case then I could put any hard object next to a nut and squeeze and it's fall open. That didn't make much sense to me and I still have no idea how you use them. At the moment, these seem less efficient than chimps bashing nuts open with rocks. Are these meant to open almonds, wallnuts and brazils or just seeds that are the same size and shape as the "nut crackers" that I could probably just open with my fingers?

• James says:

Um, placing a nut in my palm and something hard against it, then squeezing would not crack anything other than my fingers. If that were the case then I could put any hard object next to a nut and squeeze and it's fall open. That didn't make much sense to me and I still have no idea how you use them. At the moment, these seem less efficient than chimps bashing nuts open with rocks. Are these meant to open almonds, wallnuts and brazils or just seeds that are the same size and shape as the “nut crackers” that I could probably just open with my fingers?

• Maurice says:

Um, yeah, James is right. This is so primitive. Yes, a squeezing hand generates enough force to crack a nut. That’s how most nut crackers work. However (and this is the crucial part), all those other nut crackers make use of a concept called “leverage.” Without leverage, I don’t think squeezing a nut and a hard thing together in your palm is going to be any more effective than squeezing a nut by itself in your palm.

• Hollis Ervin says:

There are pecans pictured in the example, and that's basically the way we opened them when I was growing up, just using other pecans instead of a stone. Pecan shells are not nearly as hard as walnuts, almonds, or brazilnuts though so that technique probably won't work on many varieties.

• Hollis Ervin says: