Underwater Death Container

After you or a loved one of yours passes, how low will you go? Hopefully not TOO low below sea level, but if you’re into the ocean, here’s the container you aught to go down in. It’s called the “Genesis Biopod” and not only is it a reasonable pod for your dod to go low in, it’s a means to increase and sustain ocean life at the same time! That’s right, your dead body is good for more than just rotting around! Your remains can spread the love for future generations of your beloved ocean life, right here, right now.

Made in honor of his own father, designer Jack Hokanson designed and executed this fabulous pod which is designed to be filled with the remains of a deceased human body and lowered into the ocean by a boat capable of keeping a record of where it was laid. Inside the pod there is a dissolvable bag which after only five minutes of being submerged is basically gone, releasing the ashes of the dead, making it a fabulous place for algae to grow, the container being then a home for any number of marine creatures.

It’s like donating your bones to the boneless!

Designer: Jack Hokanson

Genesis Biopod by Jack Hokanson

genesisbiopod02

genesisbiopod03

genesisbiopod04

• renaars says:

Hmm, freshwater fishes in saltwater environment…
    Nice productdesign though.

• max says:

That’s a pretty cool idea. I probably would want branding on there though if I were to get one.

• Damielj says:

I would actually prefer this over a coffin. Either this or cremation for me.

• Witeowl says:

Right. Because we need more unnecessary crap in our oceans. Bad enough we take up so much land in the name of the departed.

If I had my way, I’d be buried, unembalmed and free of any casket, near the base of a tree so that the worms and tree and everything else could benefit from my rotting corpse.

Come to think of it, there’s a method of composting which involves three rows, similar to rotating crops. One where compostables are buried, one where they “rest” for a year, and one where things are planted to grow. They rotate through year to year. Now that would be a great way to dispose of bodies: fertilizer to nourish rows of flowers. Shame our puritanical and germ-phobic beliefs would make such a disposal of remains impossible. But, really, wouldn’t that be ideal?

• Kingcrime84 says:

I agree with the fact that so much land is taken up with headstones. I’ve experienced death in my life and I’ve found that those things are unnecessary. People live on through stories and pictures, not stones with names engraved.

• Macshome says:

The need for some sort of undersea marker seems a bit strange. To me part of the point of ashes in the sea is that they are then part of the ocean and that person is everywhere.

We shook my mom’s ashes out into a specific inlet off of the coast so that we had a “place”, but we don’t go diving there.

• TheGift73 says:

It should at least be bio-degradable. Imagine if this took off in a big way, the sea floor would be ruined.

• Jack Schroeder says:

I think the idea is that it provides a point for coral to attach and grow.

• Tonicboy says:

How would the sea floor be “ruined”? First of all, “taking off in a big way” would probably means tens of thousands, at the very very most. Second of all, these things are non-toxic. Third of all, they make great homes for sea creatures and can even be a base for coral to grow. Not only doesn’t it “ruin” the sea floor, it would be great for it.

• Schall129 says:

I gotta agree with you. I would hate for my lasting impression to be a big ass chunk of ceramic on the sea floor. Just be cause creatures can grow on it is no reason to start dumping things at will. I can understand the idea of sinking ships, because its better than the alternatives and it provides humans with cool places to scuba dive. This is completely different.

• Uber says:

If it means that people have an excuse to go diving to visit I am sure people will be all over it….. you can at least have your marker put somewhere cool where people would want to visit….. go and see granny's gravestone in the cemetery or Uncles marker in the Bahamas???….mmmm….tough choice….. scuba divers will love it….

As for the argument about littering the sea bed….. how many of you have actually been down there? This is inert clay…. and would probably be completely eroded in a generation or two at the very most….. not like all those plastic water bottles and other flotsam and jetsam….

I think it's a darn good idea….. and I am sure the "branding" could be removed at customer request….. at $900 a pop it would make sense……On the other hand, a good clay pot from the garden centre would be a great alternative…. Octopus love them….$10 and a sharpie and essentially you have the same thing…. that's got me thinking…..maybe I will make my own kits and sell them on eBay :)

• Uber says:

I think it's a darn good idea….. and I am sure the “branding” could be removed at customer request….. at $900 a pop it would make sense……On the other hand, a good clay pot from the garden centre would be a great alternative…. Octopus love them….$10 and a sharpie and essentially you have the same thing…. that's got me thinking…..maybe I will make my own kits and sell them on eBay :)

• Uber says: