A Knee-t Crutch on Wheels

Ohh that is clever. This is a project whose main function is to get you around in two kinds of style. One prerequisite: your leg has to be broken. What the weird!? Or if you want to fake it just to use such a wild and wonderful design, well that’s your own business I suppose. What this design, the “Stryder,” does, is act as both a one-legged crutch AND as a knee-standing scooter. It’s a transformer!

What designer Dat Huynh does here is take that extra step, don’t mind my word use. Made specifically for people with non-weight bearing lower leg injuries. Made for people to get around quick! Scoot around! With less strain and fatigue on the body than the usual one-crutch.

But for those situations where the wheels just don’t roll, it’s also transformable into old-reliable Y-wing single crutch. (That, with the wheels visible and all, definitely reminds one of an Auto-Bot.)

Vote for Stryder at James Dyson Awards Here.

Designer: Dat Huynh

Stryder two-in-one crutch and knee scooter by Dat Huynh

stryder02

stryder04

• reality says:

dont alot of injuries heal by keeping your weight off it? here you are still putting weight onto the injured limb. plus if you are injured would you want to go skooting round on this with the further potential for more injury?

• another geek says:

Actually, a lot of leg injuries simply require you to not put pressure on the ankle or foot, which is probably what this is designed for. Many doctors actually prescribe a scooter like the one above for patients to ride around on (I work with a lady who has been using one for the last couple of weeks).

I think this design is genius and does help! Great job!

One question I do have is: the design doesn’t appear sturdy enough for prolonged use by the overweight. You may want to look at using variable sizes or a stronger material or design.

• reality says:

so if scooters from doctors already exist, what is new here?

• Dat Huynh says:

Knee scooters are great in terms of increased mobility but they lack the versatility of crutches.

Current knee scooter designs are unable to accommodate for obstacles such as stairs or getting on and off public transport.

Stryder seeks to combine the mobility of a knee scooter with the versatility of crutches to allow the user to commute in urban environments with greater ease, comfort and independence.

You can find out more about Stryder here:

• Dat Huynh says:

Thanks for the feedback!

I took up this design as an academic exercise for my final year project. I’ve made a working mock up knee scooter to test as proof of concept and a transformable presentation model but have not had enough time or resources to take it further.
        I do understand that it will require further r&d before it could be realised as a marketable product.

• Dat Huynh says:

Thanks for your thoughts.
      The Stryder is designed for lower leg injuries, i.e. the foot and ankle.
      From my research, I’ve found that it’s actually beneficial to put weight on the affected leg (as long as you don’t put weight on the injured foot/ankle).

This helps exercise the leg muscles and prevents muscle fatigue as experienced by long term crutch users.

you can find out more about Stryder here:

• Haytham says:

Nice Design

• kemilol says:

What’s the stability like when you use it as a scooter? With your weight being suspended that high up the centre of gravity will be extremely high.. moreso considering the very narrow wheelbase.

The concept seems pretty cool but it looks like it might cause more broken legs than it will help!

• mif991 says:

Is there a doctor in the house who can evaluate this design. It looks uncomfortable for the knee.

• will says:

leg scooters have been around for a while and is nothing new. (one example) http://www.rolleraid.com/

I imagine that the scooter has been proven useful and not harmful as it has been around for a while. combining a scooter and crutch into one… seems like using the crutch mode would be cumbersome and that one may be better off with a crutch.

• mif991 says:

Thanks. This does look better than the rolleraid, although the knee pad seems out of the correct position. Its worth consideration for the medical field.

• Dat Huynh says:

Thanks for the feedback.

the Stryder seeks to address the shortcomings of both knee scooters and crutches as a hybrid product.

I’d imagine it would exist as an alternative choice for those who are fed up with crutches. What isn’t shown here is that the Stryder has a 3rd configuration where it is able to fold up for storage.

The crutch mode wouldn’t be much different from using existing crutches for going up/down stairs.

• Okay, I'll admit that my ADD kicked in and I didn't read all of the comments but here are my suggestions coming from someone who is ACTUALLY handicapped from a foot and ankle surgery and currently using a DRIVE Knee Walker. One thing I like about the DRIVE is the knee pad extends all the way to the middle of my shin so that my knee is not taking all of the weight. On the Stryder, it appears that the knee shelf is not very long and after a while of being dependent on it, your knee would just be in so much pain. Also, what attracted me to the knee walker that I have is the steering. Not being able to steer just plain ol' sucks. Yes, it is doable and not the biggest deal in the world, but if there was a way for you to make it steerable, it would be so much more helpful.

I'm a chef and have been using this knee walker for the past two months while working. It is very stable and can support my 220lb frame. So I'm pretty knowledgeable about what works with a knee walker and what doesn't. There are days when I spend upwards of 14 hours on it. But the biggest drawback, can't do stairs or any uneven ground very well. I was telling my wife that they should make one that you can use as a crutch. So now I see the Stryder. Pretty awesome product and I think it will do very nicely in the real world. But I do ask that you think about what I shared. And hey, if you could incorporate two crutches… that would be awesome:)

• gobledoc says:

Cool Idea! Im not entirely sold on the Center of gravity being so high hit anything bigger than 5mm and you would topple over and break your other leg. maybee if the knee pad was back a little. Keep the ideas coming.

• Sean says:

Consider putting some kind of strap on it for the leg because, as it is, it seems like it could topple over easily. That way, you could also move along without much help from your hands.

• Matthew says:

Does anyone know how to contact the designer? I am with a small orthopedic devices company that makes innovative alternatives to fiberglass casts. This product would be an excellent complement to our offerings. I would like to discuss possibilities of working together.

• Brad says:

Hi Dat,

You can reach me at bradly.hunter@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Brad

• footprb says:

Wish I could buy this!!

• I realize this hasn't been commented on in a while. Just curious how things are moving along with marketing this product. I just had foot surgery last week. I have to go up and down 2 flights of stairs repeatedly at work so I can't use a knee scooter, but my crutches are killing me. I have to walk a lot and by the end of the day I'm completely exhausted. I was speaking to my husband yesterday about how much I wished someone would make a knee scooter that could be folded up to use on the stairs, and here you are. Wonderful design. I few kinks to work out, but I think this idea could really revolutionize the products available for people like me torn between crutches and scooters. Thank you for this design!

• Keith says:

Does anyone know what the price of the Stryder knee crutch on wheels is and where I can buy it? I find it all over the web but can't find any way to buy it. Is it a commercial product or just a prototype?

• Keith says:

• LLL says:

Hi, I recently had foot surgery and rented a RollerAid. Was googling to buy a used scooter for upcoming foot surgery on my other foot when I came across this site. I really like this hybrid idea. Quickly realized I **needed** 3 things: 1) your hybrid design, 2) swiveling/turning wheels, 3)a thick, effective knee pad. Agree with other comment about having that knee pad come back little farther. My family suggested wearing an extra knee pad if your ‘Stryder’ comes out soon. Good luck with the design phase and please contact me if you need someone for the Stryder UAT!!!

• LLL says:

• Josie t fran says:

I love the concept. Other roller crutches do not do stairs and seem to be too wide for proper use of the good leg/foot If you have good ballence get it.

• Mark says:

So is this a product yet? I am non weight bearing for 3 months and would love to use this. Please say it’s a product!

• Nancy says:

Caleb,

Which one did you buy. I just bought one from Amazon…. it is a Drive knee walker.Drive Medical 790 Steerable Knee Walker

Thanks for you help.

• Teri says:

Can we buy this yet?

• Chirley says:

Where can i buy it? ..I checked in amazon but i couldnt find exactly what is in the picture..is anyone knows? Please let me know. Thank you

• Mars Kolb says:

Is your Stryder available for purchase yet. My 14 year old broke her foot and will be using crutches for the next 10 weeks. Dr recommended a scooter , but al others are too geriatric.

Please contact

Mars Kolb

Chicaluna@sbcglobal.net

• Christina Louise says:

Is this available?

• Christina Louise says:

Is this product available?

• funkstl says:

Hi Dat, these links just die.

Can you get in touch as we are interested in developing this product with you and allocating resources.

contact@funkstl.com

• Donna says:

It is this on the market to buy it all ready /where ?

• Hi there everybody, here every person is sharing such know-how,
    thus it’s good to read this website, and I used to pay a
    quick visit this blog daily.