Bottle Topping Biking Clipping

You know what I like? Things that can be made cheaply with just a little bit of space where the sponsor of the product can be printed or stuck. They’re perfect. They stay popular for a season or two, fade out, and meanwhile the designer has cashed in on a moment of brilliance. What we’ve got here is a bike clip for standard bottled drinks. It’s easy to clip on and off, simple to use in multiples. When used with booze, safety not guaranteed.

Just clip it on! The first question that should come to your mind is: “don’t they already have that – I have a bottle holder on my mountain bike right now, right?” Yes, truth. But this isn’t made for that. This clip is made to be retrofitted onto bikes, old and new, that people would rather not take the time to install a bottle holder onto.

If given the choice between this clip and taking the time to buy and install a bottle holder on their bike – you know they gonna be clippin.

P.S. Above I mention that I love small, easy to produce products. I do. But that does not mean I love waste. Ideally, this clip would be made of some material that would eventually bio-degrade. But who’s dreaming!

Designer: Matthias Ries

Bottle Clip by Matthias Ries 01

Bottle Clip by Matthias Ries 02

Bottle Clip by Matthias Ries 03

• mixel says:

I like this design its simplicity and compatability with ordainary bottles.
    I was wandering if the clip stays in place when driven the bike. For example if you make a turn, does the bottle stays in place or catches gravity and swings around against your leg.

• matt says:

also curious that if from bumps the bottle slowly loosens itself.

otherwise, i really like this idea if it stays in place and does not swing, as well as locks and doesn’t unscrew.

• Jules says:

I guess this is good if you dont have brake cables running under your top tube, or you really need to bring along your coca cola standard bottle.

But seriously, you like to respect the lines of the “pure” bike but you hang a vertical coke bottle (line) from the middle of the frame?

• joe says:

Am I missing something? Bottle holders aren’t very difficult to install. Any bike I’ve ever owned has two screws sitting there waiting to be unscrewed and tightened down onto a holder, which by the way, is built with two holes that just happen to correspond with the screws. Genius! This design doesn’t save any work and it looks awfully unbalanced and awkward.

• dennis says:

I think it’s a solution looking for a problem. Side to side flop? Neat, small package. And just because someone can cash in, doesn’t mean they should (asbestos anyone?). Good design? I don’t think so… Neat concept? Definitely. I wonder how many end user studies were performed before going to tool.

• Juan says:

I ride my bike every day, 10 miles at least, mon-fri, and sometimes drink water while riding and this is just stupid. Who wants bruises in the legs or a bottle between calves and hamstrings? Who wants to thread/un-thread a bottle while riding in the middle of the traffic? How many different clips should be done for ALL the different top tube sizes/shapes (mine’s a triangle shaped, 1 3/4″ thick)? This thing will never work.

• Gianluca Gimini says:

1- one bottle cap does not fit all bottles so it looks very likely you might be pouring your favorite drink into a different bottle before you can carry it…
    2- also the clip risks not fitting all bike frames
    3- i can’t drink while biking: unclipping + unscrewing makes it too complicated and dangerous.

summing this up to what has already been said leads me to conclude it is a very unpractical device for biking. Never the less this is a very interesting innovation in packaging i think. Could draw attention on new beverage

• Joe says:

The concept it great based on location. For example, in NYC this makes all the sense. NYC bikers get there drinks from machines, street venders and bodegas. Waterbottles are pointless as refill in the city is impossible. And there isn’t a single NYer that would ever put an ugly bottle cage on the perfectly simplified bikes. This product biggest flaw is the fact that unclipping and unscrewing a bottle while trying to ride is ridiculous. That’s way too much to ask for city riders.

• Joe says:

• Carl says:

Ha ha this is a great little addition, not ideal for all situations but many a time this would have been a great help when I start my temporary mountain biking regimes.

• Carl says: