Touch Sensitive Bath Time

Oh my goodness dirty title! But really, this bathroom (including the bath) is quite touchy. Step in the shower and your temperature water will fall on your head, and not everywhere, just the place where your body occupies. Additional controls are lit up in wall tiles. Also included is an inverse (or rather, convex sink) which also recycles water for later use in the toilet.

Hey that sounds familiar! It’s always best to use your water twice in the bathroom -And to conserve whenever else you can in other parts of the home.

To learn how to do this conservation thing in the bathroom, allow yourself to be trained like any common learner does – with pain! Below the sink are the foot panels which activate the water, becoming temperatures undesirable to the foot upon the reaching of “too much water being used.”

Take note! This bathroom is made with the name Roca attached to it as Roca is a company known for it’s splendid bathroom products. However, it is NOT a Roca project, and in fact is rather a student project done by those listed below.

Designer: Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 01

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 02

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 03

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 04

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 05

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 06

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 07

The Bathroom Re-Evaluated by Joel Williams, Claire Finch, Alexander Archer-Todde, Ethan Mcquillan, Liam Smith and Joel Neild 08

• Stylehound says:

We love the water-recycling bathroom so much we’re putting it on our blog! Great design, great eco-consciousness.

• Ana says:

So how does this Re:bathe toilet flush system work? Is there a storage tank for the “grey water” from the bath to use on the toilet later or do you only get to fill your toilet tank once per bath/shower?

• Joseph says:

You have started a very interesting discussion on bathroom design. I’m a cabinetmaker who really does not want to make kitchens and bathrooms for a living, because the most of what is done in the US is just boxes with a “choice of doors and drawer fronts,” the most of which are made in a factory somewhere. Boring. I want to do something else if I can, but what?

European design just absolutely blows my mind, and I find myself reading quite a bit on it, even though these are often modular kitchens and bathrooms that one would simply send away for and have installed by a local craftsman. But what fascinates me is the utter innovation of those designs, so I find myself returning to them quite a bit.

I am also looking to design two bathrooms and a kitchen for my wife in too-small spaces in a tract home, which necessarily lets out those wonderful European designs that excite me so. And whenever I find myself going out on a limb with some idea or another, my wife always grounds me by saying, “If you stick with the classics, you won’t grow tired of them.”

So, what do you do that is different and yet timeless and practical and stimulating to make if you’re a cabinetmaker? Damned if I know, but if I ever figure it out, I mean to make it for us and splash those babies all over the Internet!

What you’ve written, though, has given me quite a bit to think about, and I thank you for sharing your concepts.

• Hannah says:

another fantastic concept! however, i often stand AWAY from the water to apply shampoo to my hair or something like that. how can i get away from it if it always knows where i am??

• Alexander Archer-Tod says:

The first image on the top shows the area where the water is released, this is not touch sensitive but more of a sonar like technology where your position is bounced back.

All you'd have to do to apply shampoo is just to step out from under the area where the water jets are.

As for the balancing act, although this is purely a conceptual design, I'm sure that the touch sensitive panels would not need the whole weight of your body to register a choice between hot and cold. It's not too difficult to redistribute pressure between your feet when you're stood up, think of it more that if your weight is 50/50 between the panels then you would have warm water.

• bobs says:

how do i get the right temperature in the sink with my feet would i have to perform some silly balancing act

• Alexander Archer-Todde says:

All you’d have to do to apply shampoo is just to step out from under the area where the water jets are.

As for the balancing act, although this is purely a conceptual design, I’m sure that the touch sensitive panels would not need the whole weight of your body to register a choice between hot and cold. It’s not too difficult to redistribute pressure between your feet when you’re stood up, think of it more that if your weight is 50/50 between the panels then you would have warm water.

• Peter says:

hmmm, but what about safety in relation to kids and what happens if you slip and fall in the bath?

• Ethan McQuillan says:

As stated by Alaxander it is a conceptual design, and in concern with the kids then I think that this bathroom would not be suitable as a families main bathroom if there were young children to think about, and I am pretty sure that if you slipped and fell in this bath it would be quite a similar outcome to slipping in a regular bath.

• Peter says: