Petite Cargo Pickup Plays Transformer

Here’s the deal about this fantastic Cargo Pick-up concept: Traffic’s bad, it’s only gonna get worse with time. To tackle inner city deliveries, is this innovative battery powered vehicle that boasts of variable track, wheelbase and load carrying configurations. It features a Compact Mode, Narrow Mode (with banking corner action) and Pick-up Truck Mode. The Compact Mode sees the Pick-up section flushed to the back of the cabin. It’s an ideal situation for small deliveries. The Narrow mode gives reduced width and higher maneuverability and as the name suggests, the Pick-up Truck Mode allows you to carry larger payloads.

The Clip-On composite body panels give plenty of real estate for putting up adverts, which I think is a brilliant idea.

The CarGo Pod or the storage compartment when empty can be removed to further reduce the vehicle length.

Designer: Adam Schacter

• ags17 says:

Working out was pleasant to me. And I, perhaps, would buy such car. But at us in Russia the electromobile is not actual yet, problems with accumulator gymnastics in road therefore are possible.

• That’s cool! I need one..

• Jeff says:

Typical courier, parked in a disabled bay while loading!

• Greymase says:

Adam, excellent design, and soars over the concerns voiced here. The disappointed disappear. I wish I did have development funds. I think the idea would be to sell the design to an existing company. Think cars would be the best first shot as the cab design is similar, and they have already worked through many of the safety concerns.
    VERY well thought out and realistic. I hope you get credit when these or their progeny are actually on the road – I have NO doubt they one day will be.

• aarmed says:

I wish I could have a limo like that. Can you imagine a small car that expands to fit more passengers in it?

• Wow, this is a great design. Hope it becomes a reality in the near future and we will see these vehicles around every corner.

• Angelle says:

reminds me of the smart car , and it would not stand a car accident , but it is a great design.

• Thanks alot.

Funilly enough that is what I hoped to achieve as the project was actually originally branded as a smart car (called the ‘Smart Moov’) but for legal reasons I was forced to de-brand it before posting it online. This is a concept to be explored and cannot possibly cover all bases at this level, but safety would no doubt need alot of consderation for future development.

• Mom of 7 - 2 w/ whee says:

I noticed one of your mock up pictures shows a vehicle parked in the striped zone of a handicapped spot. What jerk thought that was a good idea? Obviously you have never had to load/unload a person w/ a wheelchair. The stripes are not DELIVERY loading and unloading zone. They're there so you can safely get a person out of a wheelchair w/out running into the car beside you. Shame on you for promoting the idea that they are for delivery people!

• Rod says:

Great concept, but the thing that gets forgotten is how are you going to cool the interior since your encased is a glass globe pretty much.

• Mom of 7 - 2 w/ wheelchairs says:

I noticed one of your mock up pictures shows a vehicle parked in the striped zone of a handicapped spot. What jerk thought that was a good idea? Obviously you have never had to load/unload a person w/ a wheelchair. The stripes are not DELIVERY loading and unloading zone. They’re there so you can safely get a person out of a wheelchair w/out running into the car beside you. Shame on you for promoting the idea that they are for delivery people!

• The background was taken from an HDRI environment (digital environment for CAD renders) and the parking bay I used happened to have a disabled badge on the floor. The fact that I used the image was never intentionally meant to offend and is purely coincidental, the disabled bay sign has since been photoshoped out but that was after sending the work to yanko. Had I had know it would cause any upset I would have taken the time to photoshop it out earlier but seen as at the end of the day its just a concept image to help explain my idea I feel that pointing it out and focusing on that is really quite unnecessary.

I apologise for any offence caused though

• person7727 says:

cool!! i like the concept

• t says:

This is so cool. I’d love to buy one or have just the plans to make one.

• sir jorge says:

that concept is so cool, excellent.

• Pavel Zaitsev says:

Someone has watched GiTs, look up tachikomas

• Stumbler says:

Wow. When can I get one and where? What a hot little car.

• Dune says:

Adam,

Great concept, and great renderings. It’s this kind of thinking that the planet needs for future, sustainable transport.

Any chance that you’d consider designing a pedal-powered motor-assisted version like Ecocabs? For in-town, short distance deliveries? Maybe not practical, but would give the driver a good workout.

• tosin says:

great concept would be ideal for university campus and maanaged gated communities.
    could the joint between the axles be expanded to change from a normal to a pickup?

• SEO says:

Fantastic well thought out, good luck with getting it into production.
    We need more thinking like this.

• Actually, if this was done right with carbon fiber and polycarbonate glass plus a good steel cage around the driver, it might be possible to make this design quite crash-worthy. I’d put in some sort of air bag system that cushioned the driver from all sides but again, with the right paddingand the right materials, even a small vehicle like this could have a cab that was the safest thing on the road. I’m not sure where the lines cross on the graph between cost savings for a smaller vehicle and extra expenses for high-tech materials but it’s a great concept. Check out the electric wheel at http://www.solomontechnologies as an innovative drive system that might work well with this.

• Göksel says:

this is a very brilliant idea, i like this

• Gerald Backus says:

The concept and design are both economic and practical for close distance delivery. What is the top speed or advisable speed for such a vehicle? It looks like such a vehicle should not be allowed to drive too fast, as it could easily tip over.
    If you made it with wider axles, bigger wheels and with the cabin lower to the ground, it would be much safer. Safety in my opinion is a key issue, not to be overlooked.

• Tim says:

That is the silliest thing I have ever seen. Less silly when you consider how incredibly dangerous it would be if you got in to even the most minor accident. This highly over blown global warming scare is making us less safe.

• Göksel says:

this is a very brilliant idea, i like this

• robb says:

cool concept !!
    i guess pickup truck mode gives the most space.
    i’d loved to see them on the street.

• John Lee says:

Superb, impressive idea to bring a new era of urban pick-up design. Plus it is so cute!!!

• Chris Ronk says:

I truly look forward to the future.

• Pax says:

I’d buy one.

Add a few more options for the rear module, and I’d really REALLY want one. A passenger space, for example. Something with two seats (one front, one rear), enclosed against the weather and with proper safety systems.

The idea being: you can use tthe vehicle to drop the kids off at school, then stop by yoru home, swap to the cargo module in a few easy steps, and do the weekly shopping. :)

• Zuzia says:

Super super design!!! But its so sad! We had a project for Transport design, and my concepts and sketches came out very similar to this!! So annoying. Very hard to design something good that hasn’t been done before.

• Ken says:

I work on a corporate campus with 18 buildings. Currently mail, A/V, catering, maintenance, security etc. are handled by a variety of vehicles, some of which seem inappropriate for their purpose (or our climate). This seems like an elegant and appropriate solution for most of these applications.

• Keith says:

so futuristic, but really cool idea I could see it working

• Vladimir says:

Always loved vehicule design.
    This looks really workable – looks like you could mix the electric drives from the UK company that designed the electric Mini (http://www.pmlflightlink.com/)with the Piaggo leaning system to make it work (http://www.gizmag.com/go/5644/).
    Perhaps a possible market for this would be organ or blood deliveries that don’t need a lot of space…?
    I saw your boat in a design magasine I got here (Paris, France) – fantastic! I hope to see that some day in Cannes.
    Best regards,
    Vladimir

• ethan says:

I would never buy one but who cares… it is still a creative mind whoever designed this genius mini truck. shocked by the idea that it has a high tech stabilizing system. it would work as a charm in Korea for delivery men.

• ethan says:

• T-Bone says:

that looks like a elongated ping pong ball when a "normal" sized car or truck T-Bones it at 60 MPH. then what does it do for you other than look cute?

• T-Bone says:

that looks like a elongated ping pong ball when a “normal” sized car or truck T-Bones it at 60 MPH. then what does it do for you other than look cute?

• This is a slick car, I can see these taking Europe by storm in a couple years. I like the mobility of the vehicle, and the fact you can easily turn it into a truck. 5 Stars!

• Daryl R. says:

I like it!…grt design and the differnt options are a boost to this vehicle.
    and I wonder the price…doesnt seem like it would cost to much :)

• Daryl R. says:

I like it!…grt design and the differnt options are a boost to this vehicle.
    and I wonder the price…doesnt seem like it would cost to much :)