Motivating Sports Wheelchairs

Mark Zupan, the quadriplegic wheelchair rugby captain from US is the inspiration behind the “HEROes Series of Sport Wheelchairs”. His spirit shows that mobility restrictions can’t be used as an excuse for not enjoying life to the fullest. This specially designed series of wheelchairs, allows a handicapped person to indulge in sporting activities such as freshball (a kind of beach tennis), Frisbee, badminton, croquet, wheelchair volleyball and especially beach rugby; without the shortcomings of being on a chair.

HERO Zupan, HERO Daredevil and HERO Xavier are the three types of chairs in the series and each model is appropriate for specific tasks. Although I can’t confirm it at the moment, but it looks like the wheels of the chair are inflatable or feature airtubes thus making the ride smooth on all terrains.

The built of the HERO Zupan is such that it makes it easy to navigate the chair on beaches and indulge in games like Frisbee and beach volleyball.

The HERO Daredevil traverses over land and sand with ease and hence is apt for beach and parks and is built for hard sports like beach rugby. This model has been inspired by the fictional character Daredevil.

HERO Xavier takes inspiration from the Marvel Comics’ character Charles Francis Xavier (Professor X). This chair is ideal for land sports and can be used in games like basketball, tennis etc.

Designer: Jairo da Costa Junior

• Silenzo says:

supr coewl ! 😀

• Greg says:

PLEASE don’t refer to people that use this equipment as handicapped. I guarantee Mark Zupan doesn’t consider himself as such.

• Lamah says:

Handicapped was a euphemism for crippled. Now we need a euphemism for that? And in five years’ time, that’ll become an offensive term too. All aboard the euphemism treadmill!

• Jon says:

Bravo Lamah. Words aren’t going to get anyone up out of a chair any more than they’re going to keep them from doing what they want from the chair.

While I appreciate the sentiment of “people first language” and similar efforts, the fact of the matter is that my disability mediates my interaction with the world and everyone in it from the moment I wake, and if you make me a “person with an amputation,” rather than an amputee, you’re not going to change anything except by making people sound really awkward when they talk.

For a great piece on the general issue of making people speak awkwardly about disability in the interest of sensitivity, check out this piece by C. Edwin Vaughan, “People-First Language:
          An Unholy Crusade”(

Some disabled people might agree with Greg. I don’t, and I don’t know Zupan, but I’d let him speak for himself.

• Christal Neaves says:

Actually I had an outdoor recreation professor who was paraplegic , she was witty and fun and helped us to learn that outdoor experiences can be sacred and empowering, can reattach our withered up umbilical chords back into the live giving guava . Riding on the backs of rivers.. Painting river rocks with a dew tipped willows.. Climbing into a meadow to be surrounded by brown eyed cows,who are bellowing soft like monks who ate too much..becoming spider like to crawl up the side of a boulder.. Or just to build stacked towers of river rock all along an ancient river bank.. It’s all such big magic it makes me think “how did I get here.” On the planet that is… So the whole idea of including people of all ables,, mental ables,,physical ables,,on and on all ables must come to the table. I’d think life is a strange gift a throw of the dice one free ride and we are all on this planet at the same time so should ride together. Balance each other so we don’t flip as we spin… Ok. I started this cause I had question.. Got wee bit off track. aDHD poster child.. This professor taught us that word handicap really should be taken out of descriptions of people with different “ables”. And on this one it’s not being nit picky.. She said it came fro cap in hand. Referring to a time when people who had physical differences and were shunned by a fear based culture.. This would cause them to have to beg in the street to survive.. This blows my mind if it is true! It’s everywhere that word handicap parking. Handicap seats and it’s often bold print bright yellow.. So….. Is it true

• Eyal Zaidman says:

Is it already for production or just a design?

• Johan says:

Hm, the wheel angle is no good for sports

• Genilson says:

Ola onde compro esta cadeira de roda, se posso representa ela no Brasil?

• Genilson says:

Ola onde compro esta cadeira de roda, se posso representa ela no Brasil?

• Joe says:

does anyone know where I can buy these?

• Joe says:

does anyone know where I can buy these?

• alex says:

hello, where i can buy the wheelchair heroes xavier?

• Are these available to the public? If not, why not?
      If their not in production I would be interested in having the Zupan inspired chair produced by an independant fabricator in Georgia (USA) Called Eagle Sports.

• Stan Upchurch says:

If these chairs came in cammo I would be interested. I run across places like pastures, wooded trails with logs, etc. I’ve learned that the bigger the time the more access I have to game. When and where will they be in production.

• Judy McGarvey says:

I seen that wheelchair and I think I could myabe still use one like it. I have ALS mainly in my legs.. I think I could still push myself over rough terrain with this.What is the price

Judy mcGarvey