Boomerang That’s Got An Identity Crisis

Mid-life crisis, financial crisis, relationship crisis…ah! there are too many crises in this world! Add to this list a Boomerang that thinks it’s a camera: IDENTITY CRISIS!

Don’t mistake Glare for your run-of–the–mill summer time toy, it’s a proper gadget with a functional, eject-able camera. You know the drill of a boomerang don’t ya. Fly it out in the open and let it swish back to you.

Glare too follows this drill but the difference lies in the gadgetry. It’s equipped with a timer that triggers the cam into capture mode while flying mid-air. So essentially you can capture between really awkward shots of your buckteeth to motion blurs at night.

Glutton for punishment? Hook the thing up to your comp via USB (charges the lithium battery this ways) and download all those funny/ embarrassing pics and share it with the world.

Spec-wise, to make the Glare fly higher, you need to bend the wings upwards and to skim it lower, do the opposite. Also, the holes on the edges make it take a wider radius.

If I lay my hands on one, I’ll use it at night when the shimmy LED lights on the wings come on and give it a UFO look.

Designer: Christopher A. Gregory

• Video, come on now that thing is spinning at 600 revolutions per minute so any video is going be like a crazy blurr. The still might work, takes a real real fast shutter though.

• M.S.W. says:

From the looks of the “step 4 review” picture. This thing is meant to provide pyschodelic like pictures. Which I suppose would make for some nice retro 60’s desktop background pictures 😉

• Steven Willis says:

I don’t understand how it would be able to take the swirling psychedelic images. The camera is on the body of the boomerang, the lights are on the body of the boomerang… If the camera is pointed perpendicular to the body of the boomerang (which it looks like it is) then you’ll never get the lights in whatever images the camera takes. Even if the lights were somehow in the field of vision of the camera, they’re not moving relative to the camera, so all you’d see is three non-swirling dots on the edges of the image.

• Thijs says:

where can i buy it? I LOVE IT SOO MUCH!!!

• gmontgomery says:

video/pics would definitely be hard to do with all the spinning; maybe a floating camera (think magnetic compass) would work better. Pretty sweet idea though

• Christopher says:

Actually, the LED lights on the wings are not supposed to show up in the pictures, they are there to help you find it at night. The pictures will pick up surrounding building lights or whatever you happen to be around.

Chris

• prodmod says:

I love love love love this idea. Ever since I saw the “flying stick” I wanted to see something like this developed. People are already throwing their cams up in the air and posting to flickr, this would just make more fluid pics especially at night. I wouldnt bother with video personally.

Are you going to make a prototype?
    you could just hack the old Nerf boomerang if you can find one.
    I don’t engineer these exact products but if you need some general engineering advice I’d be happy to try and help.

• Leroy says:

The third and final opportunity is the affiliate program.