Paranoid About Privacy? Put a Lid on it

Nicolas Lehotzky notice a niche trend among Mac users with built-in webcams Many cover it with post-it notes out of privacy concerns even tho there’s no way to turn it on without actively doing so. He created a little “lid” accessory if you will, that slides across the top of the screen bezel. If ever you feel like you’re being watched, just slide the cover over that tiny webcam lens and rest assured, even the best hackers aren’t going to be able to see what you do home alone.

Designer: Nicolas Lehotzky

Shares 341

• Nathan says:

FYI it is definitely possible to turn on a webcam remotely.

• Brian says:

?? Is this out yet? When can i get one?

• Jack says:

It’s very simple ever! You can even do it yourself very quick.
      Just slide a small piece of black paper and stick it with a scotch tape back of your monitor. Then you can close or open your self anytime.

• Frolix says:

I use a webcam cover from camstop.net for my notebook.

• jordi says:

a piece of cardboard is cheaper than this.or a post-it/sticker.
    I use a bended cardboard

• powers says:

this is a good observation with a low-tech solution, but I agree, I would just make something myself.

• Eric says:

I’m not only not concerned about “others turning on my camera,” but if I were, I would totally post it note the damn thing. If it made the designer money by packing it with every new mac, woopidy f*ing doo da for them, but I really don’t see such a need for it that they sell them seperatly!

• Tim Romkes says:

Doesn’t work with the new macbook(pro).
    The webcam includes the light sensor.
    So you’ll have a dark screen all the time… :(

• Eric says:

I guess I don’t understand what you mean. This item is to prevent hackers from turning on your camera without your knowledge. Yes the light will be obvious that it’s on, but are you in front of your computer 24/7/365? I would hope whatever a would-be-hacker sees IS a dark screen! 😉

• Zooba says:

You don’t get it…the new macbook pro uses a light sensor in the camera to give the screen extra brightness…if u cover the camera the screen goes dimmer. There’s no way around it.

• Nick says:

Eric, the sotware controlling the camera can easily be hacked in a way to turn on the camera while leaving the light off (making it look like it is turned off). 😉

• Eric says:

Great (I’m not one bit surprised) But how does this explain Tim’s comment?

• stefan says:

the macbook “reads” if there is light coming through your webcam. if there isn’t any, it expects the book to be closed and therefore turns the screen off… so… dark screen for your AND for the hacker 😉

• Nick says:

It isn’t meant to be one size fits all unfortunately, as having adjustable features, multiple parts etc.. would drive the cost up to a level where it would no longer be attractive for the manufacturer and the end buyer. I can’t imagine someone shelling out more than say $5 at most for this product, so it has to remain affordable. The one you see on this page is meant for the current Imac and is made of a single piece. Making one for a laptop would require a change of design, otherwise you would have to remove it everytime you close the screen.

• Atlas says:

stefan:

Right, that’s why webcams never get hacked

:rolleyes:

• Rachel says:

I am concerned about privacy and belive webcams can get hacked, wouldnt pay for one of these though must be a cheaper alternative somehere!

• Harry says:

Rachel, you say cheaper…do you know how much this would cost?

You can always put a post-it note in front of the webcam but that leaves a residue.

Yes webcams get hacked, it’s very common actually.

• Zooba says:

• Lola says:

a piece of gum always does the trick…

• Lola says:

a piece of gum always does the trick…

• john says:

how about telling us wher we can buy one??

• john says:

how about telling us wher we can buy one??

Current version has been shipping for almost 4 years & is compatible with both desktop and laptop computers.

The original 2006 release looked almost identical to your render. However, we revised the design to fit laptops. Here's an old link with an image of the production version: http://gizmodo.com/#!165465/ipatch-covering-the-p

• john says:

nah that link is to another strip cover, i want this plastic on on this website

• Pingback: Portable Privacy