Balls of Curry

Newton’s cradle (aka, Newton’s balls) named after Sir Isaac Newton is a five balled, pendulum device that demonstrates conservation of momentum and energy. Made popular in the late 1960’s, this device was mostly known to sit on the desks of bored executives counting down the minutes till their next round of golf and a martini injection. What does all this have to do with spices? Absolutely nothing! But it is a clever and novel use of an old desktop icon. Designer Jiang Qian brings you “SPICE”, a reuse of the classic Newton’s Cradle that houses five of your most popular spices and will keep everyone chewing to the same beat.

Designer: Qian Jiang

• Christine says:

It’s a sleek novelty I suppose, but it solves absolutely nothing. I’d rather store my spices in a larger container and in a more efficient manner.

Besides, I don’t want my spices rolling around in a mess when I accidentally drop the ball on the counter. That just spells disaster.

• Qiangqiang says:

It’s feasible when you are boried waiting on the dish table.

• Tao Ma says:

i like this design , interesting! pretty!

• Simon says:

There are couple of things I wonder when I see this design:

1. If the balls hit and swing, it is asking for spillage.
    2. Curry is one of those ingredients that need to keep is a seal container so it won’t lost it’s favor. If you keep rolling it like that, it will lost any the spice in no time.
    3. The design is for a table top, where you play with it when you are bore, I wonder how much time you will spend in kitchen when you have time to be boring. (better spend the time in better design maybe?)
    4. The storage spaces is too small for hand to use, I wonder if I use this “ball” during cooking how many times will I accidentally drop that in my food.
    5. I wonder who is your design target, since the “balls” are so small, how people indicate what is contain inside, especially for people who got bad eyesight.

Anyway, neat idea, but there are way too problems yet to be solve. Keep up the good work!

• Roxie says:

Well, I don’t know how practical it is for storing spices, but it would be brilliant for hiding small amounts of drugs.

Oh no I di-int.

• P E says:

@ Simon and a few others…..did you miss the tag line under the website "form beyond function". Its about the art not what the piece does…..I would love to have a kitchen where Balls of Curry could be displayed because that would mean I would have a really nice kitchen and I would be entertaining all the time – yeah!

• P E says:

@ Simon and a few others…..did you miss the tag line under the website “form beyond function”. Its about the art not what the piece does…..I would love to have a kitchen where Balls of Curry could be displayed because that would mean I would have a really nice kitchen and I would be entertaining all the time – yeah!