Pegasus – Upright WheelChair by Porsche Design Studio

Pegasus is an alternative solution to the current manually operated wheelchairs for paraplegic people. Unfortunately more often and not a person in a wheelchair is viewed internationally as a symbol for disability. A lot of wheelchair drivers do not feel disabled and experience similar dimensions to ordinary people. The intension of Pegasus is to break with the image and appearance of current wheelchairs. Pegasus allows an efficient movement in an upright position. A manual actuation in combination with an electric drive motor with gyroscopic sensors (segway inspired) allow the driver to maneuver in very small distance.

Designer: Porsche Design Studio

• Brad says:

Looks great; you will have some issues with your center of balance, though. Bump your rear axle back and you’ll be fine, otherwise the person using this device will fall over.

• Naz says:

looks nice and simple. I also designed a similar standing wheel chair, but was also worried about the balalnce issue hope they go ahead with an improved model! people need it out there.

• RanD says:

FOR THOSE OF YOU INTERESTED IN THE P’GASUS…

Sehr geehrter Porsche Design Team

My name is Randy Eady and I own a Veteran’s Service-Disabled Company in the USA that works with disabled veterans, active senior adults and youth that have both ambulatory and balance challenges.

1) We would like to know if the P’Gasus needs financial sponsorship/support for further development?

2) If a P’Gasus prototype would be available next year to exhibit at several events we are arranging in the State of Florida?

I also represent several interest in the EU such as professional wheelchair golfer Anthony Netto and the Grönemeyer Institute for Mikrotherapie. We are strong supporters of the “stand-up concept” in wheelchair mobility and we are developing a Center that focuses on Accessible Sports ~ Across Abilities.

To start our center’s development we plan to stage an event in the United States next year called:

Accessible Sports (Golf and Tennis) Cross-Abilities Exhibition and Demonstration, Boca Raton, FL, Spring 2008

Overview Objective

Expand awareness and opportunities for accessible sports by staging a pro-am exhibition and entertainment event that features children and athletes across the disciplines of Golf and Tennis that represent the spectrum of abilities in sport and the latest TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES.

We have potential title sponsorship with AT&T. And, flagship sponsorship arranged with Allianz Insurance Group, Deutche Bank, Siemans and several other German concerns for this event.

We would like to know if the P’Gasus needs financial/sponsor support to realize its full potential and if there is interest in showcasing this technology in the USA?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Köln/Boca Raton, FL

Randy Eady
    Goldenfelsstr 7
    D-50935 Köln
    MPS-Ready Solutions, LLC
    ready@millennium-perform.com

• george stokes says:

What a fantastic concept, applying Segway technology to wheelchairs, I’ve tried standing-frame chairs; being a disabled vet we appreciate your efforts towards advanced mobility products.
    I sustained a T-12 complete injury last year when a careless motorist failed to see my motorcycle and decided to run me over…..ouch
    Recently attended the NVWG ” National Veterans Wheelchair Games” in Milwaukeee Wi.
    It’s wonderful to compete in wheelchair sports like Archery, 9-ball, Basketball, Power Soccer, SuperG..etc.
    Year and a half later i am like you, trying to make lifes better for disabled society.
    Many Thanx, George S

• M says:

I’ve had a Segway since day one so lots of experience with this tech. This looks like it could cost less than Deka’s Ibot (http://www.ibotnow.com/about-ibot.html) which I believe is $29,000 or more US and climbs most stairs. The user is held here at the knees and, while I can’t tell from the pics, would need to be held at the upper thigh/waist so where an Ibot user can be quadraplegic the P’gasus would have more a more specific user group. Also, would worry about trips to the toilet. Keep the price low and use the best batteries….neat design.

• Raine Que says:

hello Sir or Madam,

we are mold&die maker from China,i know your company make design for customer.

i think if the design confirmed by customer,maybe he want to start production,we are the supplier of plastic mold and casting die,and we can also making product after the mold,

i hope if there is any chance for us work together,contact me if you need any mold or products.

thanks and regards:

Raine Que

Marketing Manager
    JSL INDUSTRY CO.,LTD
    Add:HuangYan,TaiZhou City,ZheJiang,China
    Homepage:http://www.tzjsl.com
    Tel/Fax:+86 576 84015527 Mobile:+86 13516866540

• Shanx says:

Cool concept, but not as functional as the Toyota I-REAL:

• Ima Ninventor says:

RanD,

Killer idea.

Contact the Segway guys for a better balance engine.
    They already have the sales and marketing mechanism in place, also.
    This is a VERY worthy invention.

Be bold and conquer on this one.

People need this.

• Nexy says:

Fantastic design! Imagine a paraplegic person who drives it, talking and walking with you through side walk in vertical position (if there is no balance problem of course) without need of pushing it behind. Its useful design I’ve ever seen.

• Paul Talbot says:

Simple, Minimal, Excellent

• bob the builder says:

I want one and i’m lower extremities challenged !

• bob the builder says:

I want one and i’m not lower extremities challenged !
    sOrry

• ultraman says:

Want one too. Does anyone have current info as to whether this is in production and for purchase?

• Fernando G. Hillman says:

Hello, My name is Fernando G. Hillman, I’m an Industrial Designer from Argentina. I live now in Germany, I’m working right now for VW, as a car interior designer, and as I was making research for new style ideas, I found this concept.
    The Funny thing is that this concept was developed by my self almost 6 years ago, year 2002/2003, and was presented to Ottoboch in the year 2003 also, as a product concept idea.
    I have this product registration as a Patent, I want to know who is behind this product development Idea or who has worked in this project not only because it looks the same as my original Idea, but also, because you are making a lot of functions mistakes, it seems that you could only look to a picture and copy it.
    I also think that using Porsche Design Studio name as reference it is not very good.
    So, who ever is behind all this, please be smarter and stop coping Ideas and Using others name to hide your self.
    This is my phone number in Germany 004953618915930
    cel: 0049 16093991445
    email: ferhillman@hotmail.com

If anyone nows about this, please let me now, it feels really bad to see your idea with other name on it.
    Thanks for your time

Fernando G. Hillman

• Zee says:

Are you sure it’s not just somebody having the same idea?
      They obviously don’t have the right to develop it into a product but if it’s just a portofolio shot it may be ok

• Fernando G. Hillman says:

Pretty sure it is a copy of the first stage of the development, it is a shame eventhough it is a portfolio work.

• ultraman says:

Hi, if you have a patent on your design and this looks as though someone else copied it then you have a case to prevent further copyright infrigment. Have you ever posted your work or shared it among friends, collegues etc.? If you are serious about not losing your design or to be part of their design team for further development, I would seek legal advice. Maybe get into partnership with Porsche Design on this development and have your dream come true. Just a thought.

• Nick says:

nice in theory, but are you seat belted in? and what of those with 1 leg or none? is there a holster like a prosthetic? and when it say only able to travel short distances, if it means what i think it does, shouldn't that aspect be improved on. i do love the concept though. another thing i saw was the lack of a controller or a way to control the Pegasus, is it the white arm rests? if so the controller should be on the black arm rest because its lower and less awkward to maneuver.

• Nick says:

• sergio says:

Is this chair in proto type or just concept stage. i am interested in some of teh components as I can see a use for automated leg calippes which could help people stand.

Please email sergio@aspencorp.com.au

• Mark says:

Clearly you’ve just looked at the picture and not read the design description! The chair has gyroscopic sensors and works in a similar way to a Segway or ibot wheelchair, so the chair won’t fall over.

• keith says:

Need to know how can I get an upright wheelchair

• keith says:

I’m lioking for an upright wheelchair

• I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.