Talking With A Palm

The future iPhone is here or at least in conceptual form. Given that size, design and features need to be drastically innovated, the NOT A Phone – Next Generation iPhone, delves into the projection arena. So basically you strap the next-gen iPhone to your wrist and project the display to your palm. You can figure out rest of the drill from the images, so my question to you today is….are we in for projection screens for phones? Is that the future of phone display, have a basic small screen and project the rest of it?

Designer: Samuel Lee Kwon

• Jaron says:

generally an interesting idea..
    however, what's the rationale behind the alternating sharp corners? would that not cause potential abrasion to the user? i normally use the phone with my right hand so this should not exactly be a problem for me.. but a left0handed user would potentially injure him/herself on that sharp edge.
    no provision for earphone jack?
    ergonomically, i also imagine it would be a royal pain to have this on the inside of your wrist.. the device would be pressing on the tendons on the wrist.. no? uncomfortable much.. yes?
    size wise, if the user had a smaller wrist, how then does it keep positioned at the wrist? there is a fixed width to the device. even with a strap, you still wouldnt be able to tighten it enough to wrap wround the wrist.. no? so, the user with a small wrist would have the device hanging mid-forearm when he/she puts the 'phone to the ear while using.. IMO, not exactly functional..

one more point to consider, considering this is a concept model, was the possibility of using flexible circuitry explored? and why this form and design? it still ultimately looks like a minituarised version of the iPhone 4G..

• Jaron says:

generally an interesting idea..
    no provision for earphone jack?

• @Coeluh says:

Projectorphone number 384

• @Coeluh says:

Projectorphone number 384

• Die says:

yes baby

• Die says:

yes baby

• jccs says:

Huge technical hurdle: projections need a good amount of darkness for any kind of reasonable visibility. Experiment: try projecting something on a wall outside during daylight.

• jccs says:

• armann24 says:

nice would be awesome although i dont know about those sharp corners might dig into the skin and hurt a little bit… other than that good idea…

• armann24 says:

• The Smith says:

NO now c'mon! The micro projectors were just released not to long ago. What if the sun comes out you know tomorrow? Which it does in most places…nothing would be seen on your hand.

• The Smith says:

• Bianca says:

also, what if you're dark-skinned, and in daylight?
    would be impossible.

• Bianca says:

also, what if you're dark-skinned, and in daylight?
    would be impossible.

• @yoshuawuyts says:

So what happens when you're walking with a 700 dollar phone loosely tied around your wrist? Also: nice gaming capabilities you got there buddy. >.>

• @yoshuawuyts says:

• asdf says:

this is awful

• asdf says:

this is awful

• Kabeer says:

Kindly refer to Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrill

• Kabeer says:

• Bicool says:

Good try, but how do you play a racing game with only 1 hand? How to turn 90 degrees to have horizontal orientation view?

• Bicool says:

• This kind of post on design blogs always bugs me a little. The basic premise (in this case, projection) is not yet possible, the idea beyond that premise (in this case, an iphone) is nothing new, and the idea doesn't include any sort of solution to a current problem (like a way to make projection possible). Are we just working under the assertion that since the iPhone is incredibly popular, any and all spin-off ideas are automatically interesting? Sorry, I think this is my first ever critical comment on this blog.

• quinbin says:

this is inspiring but not at all practical, the alternating corners style will never be done by apple for the simple reason that 6-7 years ago nokia did this: http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Jan2004/6373.htm

• quinbin says:

• nateilage says:

I like the basic idea behind this.. But this kills all the functionality and everything the iPhone stands for. I can think of millions of apps this wont work with. How will you call? hold your wrist up to your ear? Sounds uncomfortable. Projector is a nice idea, but as a few commenter's have already stated, what about sunlight? iPhone has enough problems with direct sunlight. The way I see it, this whole idea is very un-functional.

• nateilage says:

• Luis says:

cmon there is no functionality in this!
    this is just some scratch project done in one day with lots of cons and almost no pros (or none at all)..
    design is not about this.. u need to work harder

• Luis says:

cmon there is no functionality in this!
    design is not about this.. u need to work harder

• Kilian says:

There's been enough comments with the critique I would've liked to have posted, so I'm just going to stick with something else here 😉

I find it interesting how the calculator icon clearly shows a pre 2.0 firmware, but there is still an App Store on the device. Also only three rows of applications and the device is already jailbroken. Now my second point only makes sense if Samuel Lee Kwon was trying to copy the existing iPhone UI to this "hand model". Because then the scale would also be off a little. Either the hand is extremely small or the projected image quite a bit larger than the current one. My iPhone screen fits perfectly into my palm without even needing to cover my fingers.

• Kilian says:

I find it interesting how the calculator icon clearly shows a pre 2.0 firmware, but there is still an App Store on the device. Also only three rows of applications and the device is already jailbroken. Now my second point only makes sense if Samuel Lee Kwon was trying to copy the existing iPhone UI to this “hand model”. Because then the scale would also be off a little. Either the hand is extremely small or the projected image quite a bit larger than the current one. My iPhone screen fits perfectly into my palm without even needing to cover my fingers.

• samuel Lee kwon says:

thank you for the good feed back, and lots of information,i will love to improve it

• samuel Lee kwon says:

• TheJoker says:

Actively projecting a shadow. Yep, NOW I've seen everything.

• TheJoker says:

Actively projecting a shadow. Yep, NOW I've seen everything.

• Durka says:

What a terrible concept. How this made it onto MacTalk is beyond me. Firstly, the image will be bumpy as all hell projected onto a hand. Second, in full daylight, this would be barely viewable. Third, the design of the alternate round and sharp corners is pointless and probably uncomfortable to wear. Fourth, you lose a hand. If you're sitting at a coffee shop and you want to use a hand to grab the cup, while using the other hand to punch in stuff on the screen, you can't… you're short a hand. Fifth, there's no way the projected image could work on that steep of an angle (from the wrist along the palm). Sorry, but I don't even know why you wasted your time uploading this concept. It's a dead duck.

• Durka says:

• jos says:

cool

• jos says:

cool

• samuel says:

sweet idea.

• samuel says:

sweet idea.

• AlleyJack Creative says:

I can't see how projection would work at all for iPhone requirements. I'm not an expert on the technology, but I'm assuming there would be issues with low visibility, lack of display detail (especially for small fonts), unreliable feedback, interrupted display if you move your fingers, variable 'screen' size depending on people's hand size, plenty of potential interruptions to the projector itself…

Definitely not something I'd consider useful.

• AlleyJack Creative says:

Definitely not something I'd consider useful.

• frakalaka says:

but isn't “crap” Apple's forte'? I think it'd be perfect for them.

• shmootz89 says:

nobody would love it after using this 1 week. painfull over the time. and the shape is very non-apple

• shmootz89 says:

• Master says:

just wastage of money,no more advantage just like blind.I am totally flabbergasted to see and i am also not exhilarating in it try to use more acrimony than design it which make all the costumers reliable…………..

• Master says:

• James Chicklis says:

I would try it and I like the concept but there is a point how would you se it in the day light, or play games or what ever you might do. Unless you were to project everything in front of you and the phone to your hand, you would have to use a bluetooth to hear all calls unless you could think of a way to generate sound out of air.

• James Chicklis says: