One Perfect Cup

The Utopik Design Lab have done it! They’ve taken our entire collected evolution of cup-making and holding of drink history and combined it into one cup. One cup to hold them all. This is “One Glass for Every Drink” and it’s made to work for everyone. It of course tends to the four main glass-specific types of drink: water, cognac, wine, and champagne. It uses the same head and a different base for each of these. Sounds lovely doesn’t it? Let’s have a sip or two and converse.

This isn’t the first interchangeable base cup we’ve had here on Yanko, and it wont be the last. It’s a fantastic idea and deserving of a slew of attempts at it in order to make it perfect. Here’s one with some really fabulous ideas, and rather elegant ones if I do say so myself.

And while we’re at it, I’ve got to say that my favorite drink glass in the world must be the snifter – looked after here closely by that cognac glass on it’s side. Very sassy. Very nice. Very on it’s side where it definitely aught to be, havin a great time.

Designer: Utopik Design Lab

• I think that the one designed for “Water” would also work nicely for a stemless wine glass.

• ice says:

like this design…but we using our own wine glass because of the pouring matter …^^lll…but anyway..the design is quit nice and very useful in party and bar ^<

• ice says:

• The cognac glass fails in its very purpose. It may look nice laying on its side like that, but why do snifters do that to begin with? The shape that the drinker can cup the glass in his palm and warm the brandy with his body heat. This shape is not conducive to cupping, and the stem-exchange system on the glass' bottom would likely make the thermal exchange that the snifter exists to expedite almost negligible.

• Felis D says:

I like this concept for one simple reason: ease of washing! We aren't specialized or expert wine drinkers in our household; we tend to use the same glasses for red and white, simply because we don't buy enough or drink enough of each to merit two different sets of glasses. However, something that's always getting to me is that every time we move or every few times I end up washing the glasses (by hand, natch), one of them always ends up breaking, usually at the stem. I've gone from a 12 wine glasses to four in six years, and having to buy more every time we have company is annoying. So, a wine glass with a plastic and metal screw base would be PERFECT!

• Felis D says:

• Matt says:

Champagne has a long skinny glass so the bubbles react properly and it stays bubbly, that glass is completely wrong for it lol

• Matt says:

• Deward says:

Funny how so many people obviously believe that, by pretending to understand anything at all about champagne and it's service, this will impress anyone else. What a bunch of dooflusses. To those of you that fall into this category, you will be better off keeping your mouths shut instead of presupposing things that you know nothing about. : )

• Deward says:

• Martijn says:

really nice design. where to buy?

• Martijn says:

really nice design. where to buy?

• Cracko Kane says:

Form beyond function only puts this lightly.

• Cracko Kane says:

Form beyond function only puts this lightly.

• Steve says:

So you have to store the bases somewhere and then change them when you fancy a particular drink? Utterly useless. These concept designers clearly have too much time on their hands.

• Steve says:

• The shape of a wineglass can influence the chemicals that affect taste. Also the shape subtly alters it's bouquet.

• combed says:

good designs. I like them

• combed says:

good designs. I like them

• Oli says:

Very cool, where can I buy that?

• Oli says:

Very cool, where can I buy that?

• JCCCC says:

what about beer?

• JCCCC says:

what about beer?

• Maryann says:

I didn't know so much ingenuity went into cup-making. These glasses will work well for my upcoming Christmas party. These glasses will sure impress my colleagues! I like the weeble-wobble glass because it won't fall down.

• Maryann says:

• noelieboy says:

the cognac glass is very clever, it seems to suspend the liquid at a 45 degree angle (picture 4) instead of being horizontal.
    a miracle…!!!
    the design has also been ahem 'lifted' from this site…. http://normann-copenhagen.com/
    shame

• noelieboy says:

a miracle…!!!
    shame

• sadfasdf says:

italian elitist here!

champagne and ref wine don't have the same glass :/

• sadfasdf says:

italian elitist here!

champagne and ref wine don't have the same glass :/

• Adam says:

If he comes up with a base that has a handle on it, such that I can use the cup as a mug, I'm sold.

• Adam says:

• Andrew says:

With my limited understanding of the enjoyment of champagne, I may be wrong, but I believe traditional champagne flutes are tall and narrow because that shape allows for many more bubbles to form than in shallower, wider wine glasses, keeping the champagne from tasting flat. tl;dr? The champagne angle doesn't make much sense, especially since you can't sit it down.

• Andrew says:

• champagne glasses tend to be long, which would have a much more better effect on the bubbles it will be forming.

• Klaudio says:

Wow! This is super cool!

• Klaudio says:

Wow! This is super cool!

• sammy says:

well…i like all of them but unless your a heavy drinker and don't like putting the glass down , the wine glass is a little funkay

• sammy says: