15 Amazing Bicycles For The Future of Seoul

Seoul is one city that is conscious of the fact that we need to ride more bicycles and loosen up the traffic congestion. To advocate their intent Seoul Design Fair hosted the Seoul Cycle Design Competition 2010, where entries from around the world we welcomed. The mission was to provide a cycle for the city dweller, so that he can adopt cycling into his daily routine and lead a healthy lifestyle. The city on its part, promises to provide all the infrastructure needed to promote it. Let’s take a look at main features of 15 of the best entries in random order!

15) Bike 2.0 by Nils Sveje, Inoda Sveje design studio & IPU Produktudvikling

Main Features: comfortable ride with energy leveling and the stepless gearbox, option of adding seat-tube battery for speed, two wireless control-units (that work with two wireless rings on the handlebar) help control your ride.

14) Beik by Lukas Jungmann

Main Features: Audi branding, folding mechanism, articulated frame steering and the untypical frame setup.

13) Tribune by Thüring Lukas, Lukas Thüring & Florian Vecsey

Main Features: electric operated tricycle-recumbent bike, powered by a generator and an electric motor, external battery increases drive capacity, lockable little boot to store items above the rear wheel, adjustable headrest and pedals, flexible backrest, front and back lights for safety, ergonomic design.

12) Ridenpush by You Ho Jeon

Main Features: a riding cycle with a wagon can transform into a push cart when heavy, intended for the elderly.

11) Ufold by André Costa

Main Features: a cross between a mountain bike size and a city bike, easy to use folding system, handle in the frame makes it easy to push, when closed, central joint in the two piece frame, safety trigger and an angle two piece frame help in aligning the wheel when opened.

10) Full Circle by Sanghyun jeong & Jun-Tae Park

Main Features: compact sized city bike, large wheel size (508mm, 20inch), no chains but free wheel gear directly connects to its pedal, most of its parts can be folded, including saddle and handle bars.

9) Molecule by Yongjin Lee

Main Features: body is modeled on the river Han of Seoul, unique shape.

8 ) Helo by Junkyo Lee

Main Features: unique body, integrated lock design to prevent theft.

7) ROOnighT by Yong-Bum Lim & Park Jong-Soon

Main Features: harnesses energy from the cycling to power its lights at night, the polycarbonate frame emits light through O.L.E.D, transforming the bicycle into a night light for the street it’s parked in, intended for a public sharing system for bikers.

6) X Bike by Woogyeong Go, Dong-ha Kim & Kyeongpyo Cho

Main Features: looks like the letter “X”, no chain technology.

5) Carrier Bike by Shin Hyung Sub Shin

Main Features: a convenient carrier, shelf located in the middle of the bicycle, designed to help carry the users luggage.

4) SE:CUrity Lock System by Sang Yong Park & Jae Yong Park

Main Features: the steering features a number lock system, locks by pushing the handles down, locks into the front wheel of the cycle, unique body design.

3) T-bike by Jung Geun Tak & Shinhyun Kang of T.A.K studio

Main Features: iconic design, folding handlebars double up as a lock, embedded GPS, E-INK and EPD technology used in the embedded monitor, adjustable seat via a lever with the seat height index (indicator), seat height can be adjusted while being seated.

2) Sideways Bike by Michael Killian

Main Features: two wheel steering bicycle with independently steerable wheels, travels sideways, unique and distinct motion, best suited for children from age 7.

1) Trileaf by Jihyeong Kim

Main Features: eco electric tricycle, can be used in a public rental system, has a tilting mechanism and a steering in the front, electric motor in the rear, emergency raincoat box built under the seat.

Bonus Entry!

How can we not have a bonus entry! By The Way all the images and credits go to our friends at Designboom, who have co-organized the event for Seoul Design Fair.

Viento – Urban Folding Bicycles by Gil Sheffi

Main Features: folding cycle, super-formed aluminum frame, hubless pedal system, hollow main axis, neatly folded look.

• Habibies says:

WoW Awesome Design but is this available in Pakistan..??

• Habibies says:

WoW Awesome Design but is this available in Pakistan..??

• John says:

More than half of those would never be rideable, and half of the remaining could not be manufactured with both reasonable weight (less than a Flying Pigeon chinese bike) and reasonable rigidity.

The electric trike looks interesting though.

• John says:

The electric trike looks interesting though.

• Ronald Zhu says:

NYC PLEEEEASE!!!!

• Ronald Zhu says:

NYC PLEEEEASE!!!!

• Well this is really stupidette, because people think that in future there will be no style. All of these bikes are futuristic, yes, but thery're ugly. There's no bicycle beauty in them. Fail. The bikes in the future will be different.

• Dana says:

Some of these bikes look totally unrideable not to mention hideously ugly.

The Full Circle bike has zero fork trail and such a short wheelbase that your heels will hit the rear wheel when you turn.

First step in attempting to ride the HELO BIke: enter a four digit password? I don't think so.

I want no part of this future!

• Dana says:

Some of these bikes look totally unrideable not to mention hideously ugly.

I want no part of this future!

• Some of them are elegant but all of them need fenders.

• Some of them are elegant but all of them need fenders.

• reetung says:

Whoa, no way dude those are some cool bikes!

• reetung says:

Whoa, no way dude those are some cool bikes!
    ” target=”_blank”>http://www.privacy-web.cz.tc

• we would appreciate if you could mention that we are co-organizers,
    thx
    designboom

• RadhikaYD says:

Hi Designboom, I have mentioned the following"By The Way all the images and credits go to our friends at Designboom, who have complied the event for Seoul Design Fair", but I can always change it to "co-organized". Nice work though!

• Binch Shin says:

Dear Yanko

You need to consider the FRIENDSHIP with the designboom: they spoiled the Seoul Cycle Design Competiton in Korea.
        Here is their ART: http://twitpic.com/2rgm6e
        ※ Guideline for entries: http://www.designboom.com/seoul_cycle_design_comp

I'm a design engineer and have convictions that the main winner-entries are surely unrealistic:
        ① #15 The Grand Prize Bicycle can’t exist in the real world because it is designed to use SUPERCONDUCTOR. There is no material which produces the superconductivity at room temperature. Its efficiency is the second problem. ※ High-resolution images on designboom: http://bit.ly/cn05Co
        ② #6 The Gold Prize Bicycle can’t work(run) in the real world because it is designed to be STEERED BY REAR-WHEEL. It can’t stand up while running. ※ High-resolution images on designboom: http://bit.ly/ax0zZ4

The Grand Prize winner already corrected(superconductor→super-capacitor) his original design-images and descriptions on his own homepage as I expected before. Now I'm waiting for designboom's corrections on their homepage too.

Related full story was reported to Korean Government. This accident is not a matter of 'different viewpoints of jurors'. iPhone exists but the Grand Prize Bike can't exist. iPhone works but the Gold Prize Bike can't run in the real world.

Korean designers who I know are deeply angry against the organizers including the designboom. Their ART was a sort of terror in Korea, in a clear viewpoint of me and my friends.

Binch

• gohoi says:

Finally some one spoke up! Thank you Binch for this very correct comment, as a bike developer and designer I was ashamed with the results and the hight-unprofessionalism of this competition. I don't believe that any one connected with the designing / engineering can produce this result and I hope in the future this will be changed

• we would appreciate if you could mention that we are co-organizers,
    thx
    designboom

• RadhikaYD says:

Hi Designboom, I have mentioned the following”By The Way all the images and credits go to our friends at Designboom, who have complied the event for Seoul Design Fair”, but I can always change it to “co-organized”. Nice work though!

• Binch Shin says:

share with fbook…………

• Same says:

I am Waiting…………….

• Same says:

I am Waiting…………….

• pingy says:

Cool, cool, cool, I like. but you can keep you dirty chain if u want.

• pingy says:

Cool, cool, cool, I like. but you can keep you dirty chain if u want.

• mike k says:

it's obvious that whoever designed these DO NOT RIDE themselves. these are all HORRIBLE ideas. so inefficient! and why are they all so focused on making the bike easy to store? do people srsly live in tiny closets where they can't store a regular bike?

awful awful design concepts.

the only one that is practical seems like the ride and push.

• mike k says:

awful awful design concepts.

the only one that is practical seems like the ride and push.

• Sooooooooooooooo Cooooooooool, give it to me.

• Sooooooooooooooo Cooooooooool, give it to me.

• craigb59 says:

DAMN! makes me wish I could still ride a bike. Very cool stuff.

• craigb59 says:

DAMN! makes me wish I could still ride a bike. Very cool stuff.

• Ernie says:

my ass hurts, just looking at them

• Ernie says:

my ass hurts, just looking at them

• Ernie says:

first bump ya hit with any of them, and it's Humpty Dumpty time

• Ernie says:

first bump ya hit with any of them, and it's Humpty Dumpty time

• CoasterMatt says:

I want that Tribune design- it's just like a grown up version of my old Big Green Machine!

• CoasterMatt says:

• aura says:

I love all of them. But are they already commerciable?

• aura says:

I love all of them. But are they already commerciable?

• Antonio Jotta says:

very nice… amazing… http://www.makeyeah.com

• Pete Pedal says:

Most of these concepts might as well be posted on failblog…seriously!!!

• Pete Pedal says:

Most of these concepts might as well be posted on failblog…seriously!!!

• Wales says:

They are all cool.but I want to see the real thing if they can be made.Anyway,good ideas are they,I like!

• Wales says:

• Very nice, but it will definitely take some time before the public would want these kinds of bikes. Who knows.