A Bike for Ye Young Adults

From the deepest streets of the sidewalks of intelligence and smart thinking comes this! A bike for the ages. Literally made for the ages between 10 years and 15 years – for kids who are of bike riding age. It is of common knowledge that it’s a strange time for kids of any of those ages, especially when bike riding comes around to petal. Let’s take a look at this particular solution and keep our butts in the right place.

In those years between the big ten and the teening years, I must say there are enough weird things to worry about for a child. Having a bike that does not fit their bottom well, that’s just too much!

Every bottom is different, and every body is different, even when they’ve got a bike that’s supposed to fit their height. That’s the problem these folks aim to figure. This bike, also called the “Big Eye Cruiser,” is designed to accompany these younglings over the years, fitting them perfectly at every stage of growth.

The frame stretches horizontally, while the angle of the frame determines the height. The handlebar is adapted to this thustly, while fine-tuning is done by moving the saddle backward and forward.

Designers: Claudia Baer, Anna Wiesinger, Marlene Klausner

Bike 10 to 15 for those young adults in that range by Claudia Baer, Anna Wiesinger, Marlene Klausner

bike10to1502

bike10to1503

bike10to1505

bike10to1504

• Jos says:

Terrible CAD-crap…

• Engelblik says:

Nice shapes, but not designed by someone who knows about ergonomics or engeneering

• Berty says:

I have the same concern as Engeblik, I love the drawing, but how can we make it mechanically reliable ? If you close the frame somehow it will work.

• karl says:

the second picture confirms there was no guy on this design team. CRUNCH!

• Gillis says:

So many things wrong with this don’t even know where to begin.
    -drivetrain: wrongside, and no accommodation for derailleurs…despite the fact that the whole rear end moves forward (the front der. would need some kind of moving mount).
    -what are the average heights for that age range? Has this been researched and addressed?
    -Have they even considered what kind of riding a 10 or 15yr old does? When I was 10 I was riding with friends, in dirt, and jumping around (and crashing). By 15, I was riding to get places.
    -The erogonomics on this thing are all wrong

This is just making a simple object overly complex, solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

• Stuff says:

This bike has a great design and will have a big impact on the market

• mif991 says:

Stuff, can you enlighten us as to how this bike will have a big impact in the market? Sorry but I do not find this bike appealing. Like Gills said kids use bikes to offroad and jump and basically they want a strong and cool looking frame to do their thing. This design does not achieve either, but maybe their focus is girls?

• phi says:

i don’t understand how this bike could have any impact on the market.
      it’s neither aesteticly appealing nor does it have any meaningful innovation in any other way

• FavCar says:

looks like a very preliminary non-functional CGI ripoff of a Softride bike to me.

But by swapping components to the non-standard sides, this model sets itself up for immediate market failure if it were to be introduced.

Most current bikes are plenty adjustable, without major structural compromises that this model requires.

• FutureShock says:

Looks cool and interesting concept, but it wouldn’t have been for me when I was a child and teen.

I was all about jumping ramps, riding fast, and crashing A LOT. I don’t think this bike would have handled that very well.

• mrburglar says:

I can see how the horizontal adjustment is nice for arms getting longer, but … my understanding is *legs* get bit longer too as a human grows up. So how do you vertically adjust this thing’s seat?

• dsh says:

See the green circle up near where the head tube would be? The top tube hinges on that point so it can swing up or down to adjust seat height.

• pwheeler says:

It looks as if there is a pivot point where the seat tube hits the down tube.
        But if there isn’t, this design actually promotes bad knee problems.

• Ipranal says:

I must be missing something because it loos like all that effectively does is raise the seat (which almost every bike can already do) and actually shorten the effective top tube length. I see very little advantage to this vs. simply moving the seat up and back on a conventional bike.

• MrCheatachu says:

From softride “The content of this page is for product information only. Softride no longer manufactures bicycles. ”

So i am guessing the bikes just were flying off the shelves so fast they couldnt keep up? Or the concept never took hold…

• timothyflint says:

Actually, these style of bikes died because the Pro Cycling governing associations killed them with their rules. They were to fast according to the governing bodies. When you can’t use the bike for bigger triathlons or races then why would you want one. Even if you aren’t a pro you still like to ride what the pros ride.

• GI says:

Why don’t you people just stop talking about the quality of CAD or CGI, and actually consider the thought that went into the design?? I think its a great design, and while I’d change a few things up if I was to redo it, the bike shows elegant simplicity of intersecting adjustable members that’s never done in conventional bicycles. There’s a great visual balance of them intersecting under the handlebars, and with some fine-tuning this is a great product.

• Igor Kolar says:

I’m sorry, I’ve been watching this site for too long and really can’t keep quiet anymore …

Nobody is talking about the ‘CAD or CGI’, and the amount of ‘thought’ that went into the bicycle seems very scarce. Industrial design is about creating something physically possible, where the design bit *has* to take into account that it’s made for *humans*, who will be using it, and that the product will exist in a physical world.

I’m all for elegance and simplicity, but they must come from reason, logic, and the cumulative experience gained from the interdisciplinary studies that is industrial design, something which more and more often things on this site exhibit nothing of…

If by fine tuning you mean, ‘going back to the drawing board’, then I completely agree with you, this could be a great product.

• sonofthebass says:

when I was teenager, I liked BMX, dirt jump & freeride; this bike is kinda nerdy & not tough

• tommyjj says:

I seriously doubt whether there are any materials in existence that would allow this design to function when full stretched-out. Perhaps solid steel, but then the bike would weigh more than a cruise ship. Why bother desiging one frame that fits all, with so many structural compromises, when you could make 3 different frame sizes that would actually survive a human being sitting on them. Sorry to be so negative… The wheels do look pretty cool.