Micro-Climate Controller Combo

Yet another micro-climate controller! The Balance MCC will heat or cool any small area using the Peltier effect to create a heat flux between two materials- much in the same way as car seat-heaters and mini-fridges. Perfectly portable and safe for kids to use, this design is an super-efficient and handy way of keeping the perfect temperature balance in your personal environment.

The James Dyson Award is an international design award that celebrates, encourages, and inspires the next generation of design engineers. It’s run by the James Dyson Foundation, James Dyson’s charitable trust, as part of its mission to inspire young people about design engineering.

Designer: Gregory Mitchell

• anoush says:

awesome dude.

• Quintin says:

I’m sorry. Peltiers are horribly inefficient (5 to 10%).

A regular air conditioner (with a gas-compression cycle system, heatpump) will be much more efficient (40 to 55%, 60% as the theoretical maximum).

What will this thing do with condensation when it’s cooling? Looks to me like it’s going to be in a puddle on the table/floor.

The device will also need a large heatsink. A peltier or any type of heat pump moves thermal energy from one place to another. It will need a place to dump or extract energy if it is cooling or heating.

• Jimmy C says:

I like it!

• Q Huff says:

Interesting concept…seems like it would be fun to interact with.

• Quintin says:

I don’t believe these things will cool very well. Also, if you’ve created your very own ‘microclimate’, you’ll curse your colleagues when they inevitably walk past you and blow away your small bubble of cold of warm air.

I don’t know any cars that use pelters or any other thermoelectric technology for cooling/heating. I’ve only seen in-car air conditioners use heat pumps for cooling, excess engine heat is usually used for heating.

This C2 device looks like it can be used as a regular fan that can additionally heat the air it’s moving. The cooling function seems to me to be like any other fan out there (look at the controls: fan speed and heating on/off). I’m guessing the air is cooled by taking it in just above a surface (a desk for instance) which usually is a little cooler than ambient temperature.

Still, if you can make it work. :)

• Not sure if you seen this, but have you seen the new Dyson Heat? What are your thoughts?

• Hunter says:

At first I thought it was a set of headphones.