Sustainable Running Shoe

Transition is a “back to basics” sustainably made running shoe that follows the barefoot style principle. Traditional running shoes are made of 52 components. This shoe is only made of 5. By avoiding glues and complex co-moulded parts, components are easily assembled and more importantly, recycled.

Transition Shoes is a 2011 IDEA Awards Winner!

Designer: Nicholas Couch

• Ahmed says:

PVC sole would not be a very sustainable solution

• James says:

They look very nice but they’d get destroyed within a matter of weeks. Work on the durability.

Oh my word, I’ve just noticed this is another award winner…..hell, I’m hanging around in the wrong circles if obviously flawed designs like these are still winning awards. Good grief!

• wow— Shoe-riously?
    nice work! love it… I want one!

• Francesco says:

Bah…this sustainability trend bores me so much, cause at the end of the day the REAL problems are others.
    It seems to me that projects win awards only cause they have green-painted parts, when actually they have lots of unsolved problems, like the durability of this shoe for example.

• sikismece says:

where can i get this shoes?

• JimB says:

Okay, I’m sold; how much would they cost and where might I get some. This is always the sting, viewing this list from New Zealand.

I’ll be in the US in a few months. Is it likely to be available there?

• ToruOsumi says:

I want one.

• zeifhend says:

beatifulllllllllllll i like that…

• Jimmy C says:

okay. then leave and quit being negative.

• Jimmy C says:

ok. then leave and quit being negative

• Dorene says:

Are you sure you can run in these, they look like loafers :) I think the idea of being able to deconstruct shoes and recycle bits and pieces is a really cool & I hope it catches on!

• William says:

I’ve worn the soles out of so many shoes I can’t count – the rest of the shoe would be fine but the soles where ruined. I’ve often wondered how to design a shoe with a replaceable sole, your design is much better than anything I came up with.

So I, for one, think this is a great idea. The only part I’m not sure about is the clip. We’ve tried mechanical lace fixing mechanisms before, it’s a craze that comes around every twenty years – they never work. Surely the most sustainable thing would be the simplest – just tie the lace in a knot: that would remove one more component that you’d have to machine.

I can’t work out why you didn’t just have the join at the top like a normal pair of shoes, fashion I suppose. But if you want to keep the side opening, the thread the lace through the place where the green dot is run it parallel to the lacing to another hole at the top, where it meets the other end of the lace, then tie it. You couldn’t use a traditional knot – people would trip over it’s loops. But an bow-string knot or a figure-of-eight knot would work. You’ll have to give people a fact sheet showing them how to tie the new knot, or print it on the packaging.

• William says:

How do you know they’ll fall apart James, when you don’t know what it’s made of? {Never mind that most running shoes sold today are designed to fall apart in time for next seasons fashion.}

Maybe the reason that you’re in the wrong circles, is because others don’t enjoy listening to your uninformed, unconstructive whining?

• Kirsten says:

ZING. I like your style, William. Just like I like the style of this shoe.

• Kris says:

But will it blend?

• tor says:

I want two.

• Alex says:

I might be wrong, but unless I’m missing something, that upper looks like it’s made of some sort of foam rubber and without the opening at the top of the shoe like a normal running shoe, that’s not going to flex very well over a runners foot or allow air circulation. It’s true that running shoes are designed to be thrown out after about 4-6 months, but that’s because the materials necessary to provide the right blend of support and flex don’t generally last much longer than that, and you don’t want people injuring themselves because the shoe was falling apart. Personally, as a runner, I wouldn’t touch these if that upper material is what I think it is, and because I find them ugly as sin, but if we were talking about a regular wear street shoe with a different style, I’d be more than willing to toss down $20 more for a pair.

• Sajid says:

Can I get this shoe in India.
    Where?
    At what price?

• Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar
    one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks?
    If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?

I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any help is
    very much appreciated.

• anuj tyagi says:

Can i get this shoe in india? At what price? And from where?

• Rajajitu says:

I like your style, William. Just like I like the style of this shoe.