Gone With The Wind

Have you ever opened a window and said to yourself, “damn Gina, it’s windy.” Harness that energy with the AERO E. Energy is converted from wind to electricity and transferred wirelessly through induction. Place your cellphone on the charing pad and be the envy of your tree hugging neighbors! The accompanying app allows you to connect to your turbine and track wind patterns and charge times too.

Designer: Lance Cassidy

• Chris says:

Hello Lance,

Very Interesting design, just came across it via yanko updates on FB just a 1-2 questions
    How is this device attached to the window? do u need to puncture a hole through the glass?
    Also does it cater for many mobile devices?

Regards

• Lance says:

Hey Chris. Great questions. The device is attached to window with industrial suction cups and high strength magnets. It transfers energy through the glass via induction so you wouldn't need to puncture that hole. Yes, the idea was that it can charge the pad which would enable a suit of mobile devices to charge off that same energy. I started with the cellphone because most people are familiar with that concept.

• Designer 01 says:

Very cool idea. I think the turbine assembly could be made more low profile though. Right now I think it would be too heavy and I'd be concerned with the unit falling which would not be good. Also, I'm not sure if you'd be able to collect enough energy with wind alone so you might also include a solar panel as well. This might make up for those calm sunny days. Induction through the glass is brilliant though. My only concern would be the thickness of the glass might be too much of a gap for reliable, effective power transfer in such a compact space. It might just work though.

• Lance says:

Thank you for you feedback! I agree the turbine assembly could be made slimmer. I've thought about using flexible blades for a slimmer profile. Using my aerospace background I found that using a 10mph average wind speed (which is typical in urban environments) to charge an iphone in 4 hours you would need a 14×14″ cross sectional area. I used that required geometry to drive the size of the blades. You're right, induction works best across short distances, however, it can actually work across larger distances such as across a room. A span of .25″ should still allow effective power transfer through the glass, plus any wasted energy is renewable. Again, great insights!

• Lance says:

• Nicholas says:

Hey Lance ,
    I'm Nicholas and i have a blog which features the latest gadgets for men. We would really love to have an email interview with you regarding this invention . Could you reply me via email? Thank you .

Regards,
    Nicholas Ong

• Chris says:

Thanks for ur reply Lance im really getting this cool concept now.
    Couple of questions again regarding installation. Dont know if im correct just by looking at the renderings for tall buildings usually over a certain number of floors the windows dont open / open slightly / or have another mechanism to equalise the in/out pressure. My guess is that this is where your device could work best as the wind forces are great. How can it be installed then. Also many houses / buildings use double glazing, is the transfer still able where between the glass panels there is air? Thank you

• AndyL says:

An iPhone charger draws roughly 4W. If you charge it for an hour a day that works out to 1.5kWh per year.

Average cost of electricity in USA is $0.15/KWh, but in some places it is as high as $0.50/KWh.

So the ABSOLUTE MOST this invention will save you is $0.75 per year.

I wonder how much it costs to make.

• jerry says:

it would be cool to see a car version of this. stick your hand head out a moving car. imagine harnessing some of the sweet free energy.

• jerry says:

hand or head ^ or your hand head

• rob says:

Actually it could be free if placed inside the engine bay, up-front next to the radiator. Thinking of cowled turbine type though. Here it would cost almost no penalty in drag, but experiances very high pressure at speed – more so if you use a ram air trumpet at the front.