Twig Stackin’

The Bud reminds me of the Vulcan game of Kal-toh. Players take turns joining one twig to another but the connected ends must be the same color. As the tree gets larger, one must strategically place their twigs to prevent the entire unit from falling over. It’s one of those games that would totally drive me crazy but I would still play it again and again.

The Bud is an iF concept design entry for 2011

Designer: Joshua Chao

• E.Creasman says:

Have you tested a model yet? I would love to see this work.

• Doximagry says:

I like it!

• James says:

What a great idea. Not another chair or phone design, but a game. Well done, I commend you for doing something different and the actual idea itself looks great. Fun to play, simple concept. Reminds me of simple games like Jenga, simple but addictive. Love it!

• propa says:

I wanna buy that thing!!!!!!

• Lucy says:

and then if children swallow the pieces?

• Lucy says:

and then if children swallow the pieces?

• Sue says:

dont your kids ever play with legos and stuff?

• James says:

I agree with Sue, then don't let babies play with it then! Let's put corks on knives, sponge on the tv and anything else so parents don't have to actually look after their children anymore and use some god damn common sense.

• James says:

• Sabby says:

Well.. They will learn when the it come out the other end.. Eh? And shouldn't your kid not now to put stuff in there mouth? What are you teaching them?

• Sabby says:

• A Man says:

Then you take a big strong magnet, hold it to their stomach and safely drive it up to the mouth.
      You can now easily take the twig out of the mouth, and after some rinse under water, you can use it again.

Otherwise you just buy a pack of extra twigs, so you don't have to worry about missing some twigs, if they're eaten.

• A Man says:

• Markus says:

I am a special education teacher and my students would absolutely love this. I would love to see this product come to fruition. :)

• Guest says:

Sue… that's just darwinism at work…

• Maurice says:

that looks like a really fun game. could teach kids develope their spacial skills. and a “for ages 3 and up” message should prevent any swallowing of pieces. i would totally buy this game right now if it were being manufactured.

• Maurice says:

• Maurice says:

that looks like a really fun game. could help kids develop their spacial skills. and a “for ages 3 and up” message should prevent any swallowing of pieces. i would totally buy this game right now if it were being manufactured.

• Maurice says:

• Maurice says:

oops. it told me there was an error posting my comment. didn’t mean to leave it twice. :-S

• Maurice says:

• Jimmy C says:

I wanna play!

• Jimmy C says:

Although actually, now that I think about it, it COULD be a chocking hazard. They should probably make an age limit.

• Stephen says:

It's tough to find games that are good for kids, and fun for both kids and adults. If I ever see this in a toy store I'll buy it immediately.

• Tom Burger says:

Dude, seriously want to buy it!!! Is it available yet?

• Kath says:

I wish I could buy this game RIGHT NOW. I'm always looking for new things for my fianc and I to do in order to spend time together without just watching TV. This would be PERFECT!

• Scott says:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

A GOOD, PRACTICAL IDEA ON YANKO.

ONE THAT COULD ACTUALLY WORK, AND PEOPLE MIGHT ACTUALLY BUY!

• TheBSG says:

I agree with Scott. This is literally the first time I've ever seen a design while stumbling this site that isn't even mildly stupid. Bravo, would buy two. You'd better patent that shit because I have half a mind to steal it myself.

• French says:

Really cool concept, and the game looks like it would be fun.

The only problem is that small, cheap magnets are weak, and the forces from stacking the twigs would overcome the magnetic force after only a few twigs' height. Stronger magnets would be heavier, or more quite expensive. Even then, the stacking height wouldn't be as great as in the renderings.

• Ismael says:

Amazing!! Thank you for sharing.

• Mrs. Pearson says:

you pretty much summed up what I think would happen. The magnets wouldn’t be strong enough and the weight of the twigs themselves would cause the pieces to lose connection at the joints.

If the magnets were sturdy enough to support actual “trees”, this is something I would definitely buy, but would be rather expensive.

I think it’s a good concept but unless the magnets were worthwhile, it wouldn’t be worth the money.