If BMW Designed Rails

The Siemens group commissioned BWM’s subsidiary Designworks USA to develop a sprawling metro railway for Los Angeles, Munich and Singapore. Aptly called the Metro Inspiro, the design is meant to make all facets of public transport in a train easier. Innovative door-lit graphics, iconography to indicate status and time, and the tree referenced hand rails for passengers of all heights intimate a more user-friendly train.

The interior has a warm, almost organic feel. Materials like cork, rich woods and adaptive lighting make the Inspiro one of the most comfortable and eco-friendly trains to ride. Good news is Siemens just received an order for one in Poland. Not sure when construction starts but I’m already anxious to ride it.

Designer: BMW DesignworksUSA

• wodny says:

They're going to be in Warsaw, Poland as well.

• wodny says:

They're going to be in Warsaw, Poland as well.

• James says:

If BMW designed rails…..they'd still be German :p

They're implementing these in Poland? Please treat me like an idiot for a minute and tell me what's been created here that's new? It just looks like the DLR with some current Japanese train light designs thrown in. Am I missing something?

• James says:

If BMW designed rails…..they'd still be German :p

• ilya fridman says:

People that design trains and trams seem to have very little experience in using them.
    The first thing that needs to be addressed in ALL public transport is the serious lack of hand rails to hold onto during the trip.

• ilya fridman says:

• ilya fridman says:

• ilya fridman says:

• wodny says:

Yes. Siemens has won and according to the article it's going to prepare 35 Inspiros for the I and II (currently under construction) subway lines.

• First trains will be delivered in fourth quarter of 2012.

• First trains will be delivered in fourth quarter of 2012.

• James says:

Congratulations, you've just invented the Docklands Light Railway 20 years after it's already been done. Seriously, just look it up and you won't find there's much difference. In fact, the more I look at it the more I think it's clearly been copied. So like I already said, what's new here?

• Benny says:

Docklands Light Railway copied? You mean this also uses parallell rails?
      Besides this nonsense I think the center pillar/handrail-tree deserves some honor. Until you bump your head into it.

• James says:

Not quite sure what you're saying there. Did you look it up at all? I think that this design is so similar to the DLR that it's practically theft. Just look at the DLR and find what the differences are, there aren't many other than the lighting system which is nothing out of the ordinary. Even inside looks the same. Both this design and the DLR both use parallel rails…..or train tracks as they tend to be called.

The handrail tree you referred to deserving some honour until you bump your head into it. Check out the DLR as they have almost the exact same thing but it's not a tree so you can't bump your head into it. The similarities I'm seeing more and more between the two are getting silly.

• Londoner says:

I seriously spent at least 10 minutes now to figure out what you are talking about. You mean the DLR of London? Where are the similarities? I just cannot see any. If it is so obvious to you please explain a bit more.

• James says:

I take it from your username that you're from London and you're having to ask me if it's the DLR of London I'm referring to?! Yes, the Docklands Light Railway in London. You can't see the similarities, are you joking? Oh dear god, if you can't see how this has been copied then nothing I can say will make you see it.

If anyone is able to tell me anything original about this design then please be all means, enlighten me.

• James says:

• Benny says:

Docklands Light Railway copied? You mean this also uses parallell rails?

• James says:

• Londoner says:

• James says:

• glc says:

So cool, i like how it looks bmw

• glc says:

So cool, i like how it looks bmw

• In good company says:

I'd have to agree. My dad worked on the DLR so I sent this to him after reading the comments. He thought as I did, that this is exactly the same thing, just jazzed up with pretty lights and more funky angles on it.

If anyone can't see how similar these two are, they clearly haven't been on the DLR or even bothered to look it up exterior or interior. This is just a modernised version with some funky lines, how anyone couldn't see it is beyond me!

• In good company says:

• Stephen Russell says:

Id ride one, park my car & take these to Little Tokyo, Dodger Stadium, USC area, ChinaTown, LA Dwtn Arts District alone.

• Stephen Russell says:

• @numancebi says:

I guess, something is missing. I think it's handle! 😉
    What do you think about that?

• @numancebi says:

I guess, something is missing. I think it's handle! 😉
    What do you think about that?