Chair on One Foot

What stands on one foot, is usually very useful, but upon its intended function is functionless? Trick question! Nothing is functionless. This is “The Balance,” and it stands on one leg OR can be used as a chair. Designer Pascal Anson has a trick to play on all of us and its called PERFECT CUTS. Three very accurate, precise cuts to be exact, and a very deep message one doesn’t often see in industrial design that’s often very far away from so-called “useless” artistic expression.

You’ve got to watch the video below to get the whole idea behind this project AND to see how it functions. You can understand when I write: it stands on one leg, or two legs, as opposed to four. But until you see Anson set the chair up yourself, you wont understand the magic.

And on top of that, Anson comes across as a really deep dude, which is pretty awesome, and not always something you can learn. Lucky dog.

Designer: Pascal Anson

• Susan says:

The moment of balance he talks about is an interesting one, because I think it has a lot to to with your body making tiny adjustments. This works as a fidget, something to top up your level of attention and keep you from boredom. By designing a chair which is sympathetic to this, he celebrates it, but also removes (to some extent) that endless adjustment of the body to keep the chair balanced. A beautiful object none the less.

• Susan says:

• Koopa says:

Well done sir!!

• Koopa says:

Well done sir!!

• furniture says:

At first sight the chair seems to defy laws of gravity. Nice design, too bad such chairs cannot be used as part of regular household furniture.

• furniture says:

• The pictures itself already are amazing let alone the product. A creative mind has created a nice object out of something we use every day without considering it special. Well done.

• miniek says:

very cool concept, you talk with sense.

• miniek says:

very cool concept, you talk with sense.

• Stef says:

I'm so sorry, I will not get into the chair as much as this guy.. I like the idea of making a chair stand on one or two legs. The idea is cool, the chair is cool.
    But this guy; he's talking about how cutting a chair leg a certain way "alters our understanding of time and changes our experience of space..". He reminds me of how a lot of designers seem to think that design HAS to have a deeper and greater meaning than to just, and in fact, make a good product.. Don't know about deep. Pretentious maybe..?

• Try says:

I would agree. A really really Interesting idea but if you take the excitement away, it feels rather pretentious and superficial imo

• Stef says:

But this guy; he's talking about how cutting a chair leg a certain way “alters our understanding of time and changes our experience of space..”. He reminds me of how a lot of designers seem to think that design HAS to have a deeper and greater meaning than to just, and in fact, make a good product.. Don't know about deep. Pretentious maybe..?

• Try says:

• Sternford says:

That was the most infuriatingly pretentious video I've ever seen. You made a chair that can balance on one leg, get over yourself.

• Sternford says:

• mif991 says:

Good stuff. What's next Pascal? This is intriguing.

• mif991 says:

Good stuff. What's next Pascal? This is intriguing.

• Nishtha says:

I love the idea…it challenges how I see the object..more importantly it gives a new outlook to the whole concept of balance in products….
    @ stef…it does change how I perceive time when I look at the product…I expect it to fall at any moment and the fact that it won't…it makes me wonder if I'm trapped in a moment that wouldn't pass…. though I'm nt sure how it alters d sapce around it….
    but kudos to the designer for making an outstanding design…

• Nishtha says:

but kudos to the designer for making an outstanding design…

• anon says:

Boring & tries too hard for little real result.

• anon says:

Boring & tries too hard for little real result.

• Gnochi says:

So simple, so cool

• Gnochi says:

So simple, so cool

• AmazingRandi says:

I must know, how does this work? With only three very accurate “cuts”?

• AmazingRandi says:

I must know, how does this work? With only three very accurate “cuts”?

• Stu says:

hehe it's got a special giro built-in that uses the forces of mother nature to ensure it spins inside the chair perpectually…. the 3 cuts are not quite so obvious!