Never Ending Pencil

To cut a long story short, what we have here is a simple writing tool called the Continuous Pencil, which can be used till the very end. We usually end up discarding pencil stubs…I know my children waste too many saying that short pencils are uncomfortable to hold. So basically you keep increasing the length of your stubs with a handy interim-headless-long stick that fits snugly into its rear. Quite simple and straight, but is it a refinement of the 1 + 1 Pencil?

The Continuous Pencil won an iF Concept Design this year!

Designers: U Jung Heo, Young Gag Han & Sa Yoeng Kim

• Hey wow, it’s the revolution of the modern world!
      And you even managed to waste your time to make these awkward renderings.
      Let me gess, you call yourself a “Designer”?

• Justdemom says:

Clever to be sure but I am more fond of the 1+1=1 since it seems to have more potential To allow for an eraser, plus it seems you can use it with any pencil instead of shelling out extra cash for the specialty pencil that’s required for this one. However, I still love the idea of this

• Anonymous says:

Oh be quiet, you could have never thought of this! I think it’s awesome

• FireWombMan says:

Oh that will do so much for my left-handed blunders …but will it help my abilities? ??Oh how exciting…You could sell these at Hobby Lobby right next to all the others!

• Jaffa says:

Google for “pencil extenders”. They’re more universal than that over complicated monstrosity up there.

• Jaffa says:

• Johnny says:

flipson, I understand how you came up with your point, but if you consider the fact that plastic is estimated to take 1,000 years (we don’t know for sure yet) to decompose and wood only 3~5 months; I would say Inigo’s comment on mechanical pencil being “less ‘green'” is a valid point.

• Johnny says:

• Frito says:

Sure, art can be created with any medium, but the type of medium may improve the quality of a certain type of art. For instance, you wouldn't use oil paints on a piece that you wanted to appear as if you used watercolor… Same here, there is a difference between the mechanical and regular pencils: mechanical pencils simply cannot have the soft lead that regular ones do, and therefore have a different effect.

• Kostya says:

I believe sells similar pencils :) it’s amazing how creative thinking can change the world around us!

• NCK says:

I think that all of these are forms of art, who is to say what the real definition is anyway? Everyone has a different point of view of art, it’s all about perspective. And yes, art can be created from anything, from pencils to paints to garbage.

• Jonjo says:

I don’t care what pencil you use.

• reefer says:

any good artist would use any tool they wanted to use at the time. Also a good artist wouldn’t go to school for it…….. you suck

• kellin says:

There are removable erasers… You can buy (cheap ones) at the dollar store for like 1 dollar for 30, they’re not the best but you can buy better.

Plus, imo the big erasers (not to sure what they’re called, the pink ones. I hope you know what I mean) are better, I only use pencil erasers with smaller details…

• Storm says:

This already exists. They’re called pencil extenders. xD

• Rowan says:

This isn’t going to work? What happens when the tip runs out? You have a pencil, with no tip.

• Jenni says:

Or you could just use a mechanical pencil… Because they last forever.. And you can just replace the lead. Stupid humans…

• Omega says:

I have a Continuos Pencil… It’s called a Mechanical. You just add more lead to it when you run out, it’s crazy!! And you don’t even have to kill any trees in the process. 😐

• LordofALLleadgraphite says:

Holy scribble chitz! what a bunch of high minded wacky spoiled overdrafting drawknockers!It is simply astonishing to pleasantly view great art right up to the comments sections……LOL.
      Abe Lincoln knew the value of being able to mark!
      He used charcoal from the fire pit to write on the back of a shovel………………”Ithh snot artif is mechanickellllllllll!” ru effn kidding me?

If any of you truly suffered for want of something to write with you wouldnt be wasting so much time on your annonymouskeypads complaining about each other,you’d be out drawing with all the invented implements you’d have developed.This country needs some real hardship once again to remind some of how truly great we have it just breathing good old air.does a baby complain about what 7th graders draw with?No!He finds the closest naturel element and drawws on the wall with his own shit instead of whining and crying fowl.HAhahahah o.k. that went too far……….ukwim!

• StormRhyder says:

*sneers at “elitist” attitudes…
      & waits ta be sneered by elitists*

• Ben says:

wtf is the big deal? why argue over pencils? if you like mechanical, use mechanical, wood? use wood, i swear you people argue over the stupidest shit.

• Ben says:

P.S. Congrats to those of you who are art Students, but learning to be an artist does not make you an expert on art tools. best of luck in school.

• NORFLDORF says:

• WINK says:

Usually I would commend any design work as there is no real wrong.

Here I find that the designer has overlooked how one would sharpen the pencils once they have been connected. ie – When you reach the bridge portion, the shape of the sharpener will prevent you from not only sharpening the old pencil but also the ‘continuos’ pencil.

• Vince says:

Why not make the Inner joint made of graphite? Then you could just sharpen it down continuously. With this design it requires two separate pieces be manufactured. if they were just identical with a hexagonal graphite core they could be attached and then sharpened, all pieces would be identical. Could save on manufacturing.

• jeremy reus says:

I always use mechanical pencils, but i wish they could create a pencil that does not need sharpening.

• jon says:

Just saying… art students should know the difference between a mechanical pencil and a drawing pencil. There is a reason that drawing pencils have those little numbers and letters on them. They stand for the heaviness of the graphite. Having multiple drawing pencils from lighter shades to heavier shades really comes in handy if you’re planning for your finished piece to be in graphite. Other than that mechanical pencils are actually nice for sketches but if you work in graphite a lot this idea is actually pretty clever. So don’t hate people, appreciate.

• Nicole Vega says:

Where would someone get one of these pencils? 😀

• Mr Correct says:

Someone should invent a pencil that has some kind of tube in it, so you can place the lead in it and all you have to do is keep inserting leads, and there will be no waste..

Call it a mechanized pencil or something.. 100% green..

• I’m just wondering how this is supposed to “save the planet”.

• Limey says:

Don’t forget professional artists as well.

• axiom1750 says:

I like 100% green. especially wrapped with little thin sheets of trees. hmmm….graphite is also cased with trees. tress and grass hate fire but if you put graphite on sheets of trees you can hang it on a wall in your tree house. If your house is made of lumber. guess this means I like to hug trees…with my lips and my fingers. But I’m not a hippie.

• Ha says:

I wasted my life reading these comments

• unanimour says:

But sometimes you just like to stick to tradition
      (pun somewhat intended)

• Gur Savage says:

I used to sharpen both ends of my pencil, when I was a kid. But later I preferred hybrid media.

There’s an error in my op: the first explanatory pic at the bottom of the 1+1 pencil tutorial it is shown how to sharpen it. But instead of sharpening the “male” side, I would sharpen the “female” one. So that you only need to add a whole body when the stub is almost over.