Mighty Pedal Power With Electric Help

Hybrid cycles have been around but they rarely take into consideration the elements. This makes their usage restrictive to fair weather. Slotting itself into the “commuter vehicle” bracket, the Emcycle tries to overcome this limitation by including a roof and Velcro-detachable side panels. Basically you can cocoon yourself and pedal or take electrical assiatnce to get you to your destination. There are three drive options ranging from AM (I have energy) through to PM (I’m tired!).

Features:

• Head and brake lights, seat belt, airbag, radio / MP3 player plug in, storage space (approx 6 shopping bags in total using front and rear) comfortable seating.
  • A single person commuter vehicle for a driver and up to 75 lbs of luggage.
  • Fully enclosed body.
  • Two lockable doors. Front and lockable rear luggage compartments.
  • 30mph crash tested; Roll over protection, Airbag, 3 point seat belt.
  • Adjustable full seat.
  • Adjustable handlebar/instrument pod.
  • Ignition key to lock steering column and parking brake.
  • Lockable glove box.
  • Windscreen wiper and washer.
  • Front and rear LED lights. Separate LED headlight. Headlight flasher. LED direction indicators with self canceling. LED brake lights.
  • Horn/bell.
  • Full instrumentation – Speed, miles/kilometers, trip miles/kilometers.
  • Battery charge gauge, electricity usage gauge, warning lights for all functions, 4 way emergency flasher.
  • Flow through filtered ventilation and heater.
  • Suspension; Disc brakes; Reverse gear.
  • Two side rear view mirrors.

Size:
24” wide X 73” tall X 80” long. Pedals power the rear wheel through a driver operated infinitely variable constant velocity transmission. Height and bright colors make it conspicuous to other road users. 80lbs. ‘No air – no puncture’ foam filled tires.

Stability:
The two front wheels tilt to allow banking in corners but have self righting springs to allow feet-up stops. Two front wheels give increased cornering and braking stability. 6 ½ ft turning radius. Front and rear lifting handles.

Power of a Pedalec:
Classified in Europe as a bicycle.* Electric front wheel drive, variable assist up to 1000 watts.* Up to 40mph and 40 mile assisted range.* Overnight plug in home recharge and regenerative braking. Separate batteries for drive and equipment.

Options:

• Radio and iPod holder. Drink and snack holder.
  • Luggage net/covers.
  • Solar charging.
  • Trailer towing kit.
  • Child seat.
  • Winterize package. Transparent door opening foul weather covers. Storage cover.

It will be available at around $2500 – $4500 and the plan is to get the vehicle into production by 2011 in time for the London Olympics which it could be well utilized for by renting travelers / commuters.

Designer: Michael Scholey

CAD Model and Images: Adam Schacter

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

The Emcycle – Pedal Powered & Electric Cycle by Michael Scholey

Emcycle2

Emcycle3

Emcycle4

Emcycle5

Emcycle6

Emcycle7

Emcycle8

• bep says:

good idea but oh boy, what an ugly design. Dated and complicated.
    With the weight of the material I can see this thing tilt over like crazy.

• Greg says:

Wow. This thing is toppling over. Fact.

• Good old proven idea on a tricycle,have you test driven the prototype by a bike expert or two or three so you can have a road proven vehicle?keep on the good work.

• One suggestion, look at that greenhouse again. If your peddling your exerting and can become easily overheated by even a little solar radiation. Yes you need rain protection, but keep the ventilation way up.

• mif991 says:

Michael and Adam. I like the concept, the renderings and presentation. You might have to come up with an accessory to keep this bike from tipping while parked. Good luck with it at the olimpics.

• John says:

Is there any proof that it is 30mph impact tested? I assume full frontal impact and not side impact! Is there any pillar structure for the roof? Otherwise the whole structral integrity is compromised. Doesn’t look like there is much frontal structure room infront of the footwell.

With all those features its sure to add weight. Probably best to stick to ultra low speeds instead of trying to comply with all ‘standard’ car features.

• Martin says:

This is what it will look like when produced eventually?

• Colin Pan says:

Nice idea really. Maybe a bit brushing up the design itself may help.

If the price tag is good enough then it will have potential in Chinese market.

• John says:

I like it. Way out ahead of any other ideas. I wonder how the trafic laws here in the USA would treat it? Expect resistance from Big Oil and the Auto industry. The internal combustion engine is already a antiquated concept. It’s time for change.

• Ed Campbell says:

I would buy this and market this bike. I live on Beaver Island, MI and we are very electric here. Rentals would work real well. But I would love to have one of my own. It is a great vehicle to take over to the mainland on the ferry and do a little shopping.

The island is 12 miles by 6 miles, and this little hybrid will give a full day of enjoyment before recharging.

Please let me know when I may purchase one and import to my little island.

Blessings,
    Ed

• The Cycler says:

I wonder about side wind problems on this one, sometimes it gets really windy and it doesn’t look very controllable in case it loses balance.

Other than that this concept looks promising, weather protection and aerodynamics are the 2 things commuter bicycles need.

• Jackbquick37 says:

The seating height appears to place the operated/driver sitting almost vertical and well above what I would consider a safe center of gravity for this 24″ wide hybrid. I base this on a custom hybrid prototype tadpole recumbent trike w/ 800 watt mid-drive electric motor I built last year. My prototype has a longtail extension with 150# + cargo carrying capacity and combined motor-pedaling top speed of 30-32 mph. The prototype hybrid seating height is the same as my MINI cooper…keeping the vehicle center of gravity low for safety and stability. Once I added a steering stabilizer, it feels safe even at top speed traveling over uneven paved road conditions.

• Mel says:

I want one with full feature set, asap. I am disabled, my disability makes it impossible for me to operate a motor vehicle safely in regular traffic. I have been searching for a fully enclosed, all terrain, human electric hybrid vehicle that can pull my camping trailer, that can carry light groceries and heavy house hold items. Anything and everything you rely on your car to survive I need a bike lane operable, low speed, light weight, yet safe vehicle to accomplish. Twikes looked hopeful, they are not classified as bike in the USA, henceforth requiring a drivers license, which I am denied.

• Goran says:

I’d get one of these right away. I have a 2-5 mile commute to the nearest bus or train stop into NYC. This would eliminate parking fees. We could get rid of one of our two cars.

• JOE says:

HI I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD EITHER BUILD THE EMCYCLE AND LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE TO BUY IT OR TAKE IT OFF THE INTERNET IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BUILD IT AND PUT IT UP FOR SALE. ALSO I THINK IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUILD IT YOU SHOULD TAKE IN TO CONSIDERATION IF A BIGGER PERSON WOULD LIKE TO BUY IT YOU SHOULD AT LEAST MAKE IT THIRTY FIVE INCHES WIDE INSTEAD OF TWENTY FOUR INCHES WIDE. WHEN ANYONE PEDALS THEY LIKE TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA ROOM TO BREATH DON’T YOU THINK EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT BIG. THINK ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

• JOE says:

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THE EMCYCLE UP FOR SALE. I HOPE WHEN YOU DO YOU WILL MAKE IT WIDER FOR EXTRA ROOM FOR THE RIDER AND FOR MORE STABILITY ON THE ROAD WIDER IS BETTER. LET ALL OF US WAITING FOR A EMCYCLE WHEN IT IS PUT UP FOR SALE AND FROM WHO WE CAN BUY IT THANK YOU.

• Paolo boggio togna says:

How i can buy emcycles .?
    That can exceed% gradient uphill
    I live in italy
    Tanks you

• Camille says:

I love this. I am starting now to save up to buy one!

• Dakota p. says:

i want to learn how to purchase one! i would like to buy one for my shop teacher and need to get one but i cant find where to purchase them. please help with any info i can get on it.

• Beatriz says:

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say iss fundamental and everything. Nevertheless imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Yourr content is excellent but with pics and clips, this website could certainly be one of the
    most beneficial in its field. Very good blog!

• Curt Brasier says:

Is there a possibility of pre-orders?

The pre-orders could be used to start a low rate production run for those like me who are uber ready for this type of vehicle.

When there are a thousand on the road, the investors will be all over you!

Sincerely,

Curt Brasier

• Curt Brasier says:

The EMCYCLE is what the world desperately needs to help reverse Global Warming, improve the health of commuters, reduce air and water pollution, and reduce traffic congestion.
    My checkbook is ready, just build them and we will come.
    If you would build a near production ready prototype for a single and a tandem version I am sure that the investors would be more likely convinced.

• Curt Brasier says:

I’ll purchase a Emcycle know on a pre-order basis if need be!

• There’s definately a great deal to know about this subject.
    I love all the points you have made.

• When one account goes down, open another and re-up.
    Take your camcorder and shoot a short video
    of the bar and what its all about. People use to search videos on the basis of their
    title and their descriptions and hence these two areas should be as much stronger as
    possible.

• It’s an remarkable post for all the internet viewers; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.