Playstation 4 Clear

Forget all your Playstation 3s. Forget your Playstation 3 thin models with multiple lovely colors, forget even the earlier design by this same designer, Tai Chiem, that PSP 2 concept he whipped up last year, no! Check this thang out. It’s the Playstation 4. Tai Chiem’s Playstation 4 concept: that’s how you know it’s wild. And with clear material and minimalistic aesthetics in play, you’ve got one Tai-tastic amalgamation, to be sure.

BONUS: that other spaceshippy looking thing is his “xbox 720.” Lollers! I’m reminded of the comic on Penny Arcade where they first talk about the xbox controller being harder to hold than a grizzly bear. It’s HUGE!

SO! PS4! What’ve we got here? Bluetooth integration, plastic/glass backs and middles. LCD screen(s) on both the controller and the system itself. The same classic aesthetic bone structure for the controller that PS has always had. The same ability to turn the system on it’s side (I always thought that was a super-simple super-genius feature of the PS series.) And the continuation of the standard “CD” disk size for games.

I’m hoping for the games to come in cube form, allowing you to just scan the cube for a new game. How cool would that be? Totally cool.

Designer: Tai Chiem

Note: This post is also posted quite nicely on Design Year Book by Borabora!

ps401

Playstation 4 Clear by Tai Chiem

ps403

ps404

ps405

ps406

ps407

• Carl says:

this uses disks?

• Al says:

yeah, disc based console? not gonna do it

USB (flash memory) and WiFi is all you gonna need on that sucka. solid state drive for storage.

back to the drawing board but that ok, you’ve got another year or so…

• Stephen Lacombe says:

USB are u stupid? then all u have to do is have a friend with the COPY of the game on the ISB and put it on the system. It would be good use if it wasnt going to be for all the people that steal games instead of Buy them.

• your mother says:

around 30% of gamers dont have their consoles connected to the internet so disc-based games are staying for a while.

• Joe says:

The next gen consoles will have games delivered on the internet, I agree with that. However, I personally don’t think its a good idea. I would still like the option of going to my local GameStop and buying a hard copy of my game, even if it comes on an SD card. I see too many problems with net delivered content. Piracy, and the ultra-restrictive DRMs that would come along with it. Loss of data due to system failure. Along with an inability to recover that data because of customer service departments that can’t or won’t help. We’re already having these issues with the current console run, I’m not sure the next gens would do anything but make it worse.

That being said, I love the concept especially the clear display built in to the system. I think the controller would benefit from something like that as well. Imagine the standard dual shock layout split by a full color touch responsive screen. Game developers could move the HUD to the controller and still tailor it to the individual game’s style. FPS could display health and ammo, or use it for quick weapons select. RTS games could give you a map overlay, with the ability to snap to any location on the map instantly. It would only be a small addition, but would add much depth to games. Like what they tried to do with Dreamcast (RIP) but on steroids.

• Xinderella says:

yes, but u can’t see it. it’s clear.

• Zay says:

I kno rite!!!!!!! This is the complete future n it makes no sense but it looks very fragile…. toooooo fragile n dats y I dont tink it will b tha oncoming concept 4 playstation

• Uppity High Class says:

Anybody who talks like you has no say in anything, ever. Go back to drinking Kool-Aid with your 'bro's' in the projects.

• Zay says:

• Uppity High Class says:

• Lamah says:

Um, by the time we have things that look like that, all of our games will be delivered over the Internet. It’s already happening. Apart from that, looks pretty cool.

• Klappstuhl says:

I dunno. Personally, I think the design of the PS2 Flat should be the template for every next PlayStation. Not really fond of the “CD player” compartment that seems to be housing most internals.

What I like about this design though is the gamepad.

@ Larnah

I doubt we’ll ever want to loose the physical format. It’s something that not only can rise in value, but also is a physical copy. No one will take that one from you, ever (ala Kindle).

• Schmu says:

Right…you’re willing to have to download the equivalent of a blu-ray on your console? Everyone hates the installation required for ps3 games and if you were to download the whole game it would take forever…imagine the amount of space needed on a hard drive if mgs4 wasn’t on a blu-ray

• ragehead says:

Clear stuff like this only looks good in a store. That’ll get dirty, dusty & scratched very quickly and look like ass. Same as with shiny-polished plastics. The stuff looks good in photos & stores but it’s poor for home use.

• annoymous says:

even though thats true. your ruining this for me :(

• annoymous says:

Not necessarily, if you're a clean person who doesn't beat your shit up then it's fine. Looks extremely legit to me.

• Crystal says:

but the playstation systems are directed towards men who generally don't care if their system is clean or dirty as long as it still plays their games and operates the way it is meant too. I love the clear look, but realistically the simple black console is the best way to go

• annoymous says:

even though thats true. your ruining this for me :(

• annoymous says:

• Crystal says:

• annoymous says:

use a mind little will you if they are making something like this than obviously it will cost some extra money and i'm sure that they will use some kind of coating that is scrachproof otherwise it will be nothing gud in look.

• annoymous says:

• AlienzExist says:

Clear = Futuristic. You cant just remove the L and R buttons because your clear design doesn’t have room for them. the console looks like a cutting board with a scale on it. Or the front of a washing machine. Think more thin, slim, unobtrusive… Less Alien.

• phi says:

it looks like mac funamitsu’s doubtful concepts…
    just less “futuristic”

• Matt says:

This is awesome! I think they could have changed the controller a bit though…

• wooowwww! really amazing……..

• Tiffany says:

This thing is rockin!!!

• Benjamin Hinely says:

This not being made would be a crime against humanity

• It’s not as crazy as it sounds. But consumers shouldn’t expect the console until 2010 at the soonest.

• natalia c. says:

this play station 4 is cool! i would buy it but then i think i would get addicted to this thing, which is not a good thing…

• Evan says:

That is not the Xbox 720. Microsoft has announced that there will not be any definitive design until around 2011-12.

• anonymous says:

oh yh its obvious cos these are just some design from some person there is not gonna be anything like this but still i wish there should be.

• anonymous says:

• anonymous says:

this makes me wet in the pants.

hopefully they ram it ass with graphics no company wants to produce anymore

and the cube idea would be awesome

• Mark says:

well it looks good. no one can change how it looks. so people complaining sorry. abunch of people don’t want a president to be in office but it happens. i think it’ll work fine and be good enough for everyone.

• stevie says:

it is soooooo awesome i wish i get it for christmas 2011. too bad im a muslim

• tom says:

im a black ass so mt dad will nt buy 4 me a white ass

• phillip says:

wowo pretty cool that things is awsome but just one question where are the L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons on the control? shit it would be a playstation withoput those 4 buttons it would be less realistic like crapp man u need those buttons

• cheyenne says:

that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooolll

• i just love it to pieces!

• bhlim says:

wow…the appearance of this ps4 clear is really attractive

however i doubted the visibility of the display…
    when the ps4 is but at the place with complicated background will the display on the transparent material can be clearly seen?

and where is the L and R button on the joystick?
    Does the games has to be programmed to suits the PS4?

Anyway, these are just my opinions.
    It is a very cool concept though.

• Pingback: Playstation 4
  • BMG says:

Thats pretty mad! Its just the controller that needs to change but apart from that it looks a future PS4!

• charlie says:

i hope the ps4 is geting bilt

• charlie says:

make a psp2 glass ware you hold it and make it come
    windows xp windows 7 windows vista and apple mac
    and on psp store computer games and make and a folder cord a apps and the icon 4 blue sqeras
    and the scrren can be lcd

• Andrew says:

Maybe this is just me but I always get really aggravated when I stumble upon pages like this. It's not the design for the PS4, it's never gonna happen. It's a pretty rendering that gets some people wet in the pants but will never be more than a picture. Does the designer work for Sony? I'm guessing not so he really wouldn't have any sway over the design of any future consoles.

• Andrew says:

• Xinderella says:

yes, but u can’t see it. it’s clear.

• Steven says:

GREAT CONCEPT but I dont agree with something.. i have a WII console and one xbox.. In my table were is the tv i dont have space to put one of this device.. It should be place next to the tv or in other table because of the video and for easy manipulation.. I dont know if all of you have space to place it up on the table but i have my consoles in the holes for dvds of my tv table.. Next to the floor.. I have severals friends that have their consoles in the floor, in small tables and other places that could make dificul to appreciate the concept.. Just saying for experience..

To make my point, in pic 4 its necesary to put the console in top of the table, next to the tv.. I have my inhalambric phone just like the console on the pic.. But my tv es of 40 inches and it rotates.. so everytime i rotate the tv the telephone fails because i forgot it was there.. So i had to move it to another location.. I could happen to the console.. To the floor.. ouch… i think that the consolo on the top of the table is a risky ubication.. i would place it to play but then i would have to place it in other place after play.. .

• Steven says:

• snake says:

wow if i had a ps4 i wouldnt be playing BEJEWELED! idiots.