Talk About A Super Soaker!

Firehouses shoot insane amounts of water generating enough pressure to knock a man over but sometimes even that isn’t enough. The Jet Spray is a hose attachment that amplifies water pressure and increases range by 30 meters. The extra range would be helpful for aerial dispatches or from neighboring buildings – any where typical ladders can’t reach. The mechanism is quite simple, powered by a pressurized gas tank. The real question is when can I get one of these babies for my next water gun fight? Pew pew pew!

Designer: Haishan Deng

• julia says:

i like it, the only thing is that in the scenario shown, the window needs to be broken to insert the nozzle, so giving the fire more air to grow.

• matt says:

i see this being harder to control than a normal fire hose which is normally put under the shoulder. and with extra pressure and one strap to hold your hand in, is that really enough?

• Eric says:

It seems that your description and the product’s description differ. The pictures seem to say that you shoot the end of the gun’s projectile into a burning room, which carries the fire hose with it. Once inside, you attach the hose to a water main, and then the water shoots out from the deployed tip, which is now inside a room and no longer connected to the gun.

• Drew says:

Just one problem with this design…. it’ll never work. When Firefighters spray water, the hoses are usually manned by 3 man teams. This isn’t for dramatic effect, it’s because with the water coming out with so much force it takes all 3 of them to safely operate the hose. With no one holding the end, the hose will whip around like a bull-whip, smashing everything in sight before whipping itself out the window and endangering lives and further public property.

…Other than that, it’s a great idea.

• Glenn says:

One of the main reasons it takes 3 fire fighters to control a hose is all the force and pressure is focused in the one direction by the nozzle. Much the same as a rocket or jet engine.

From the looks of the final image in the description this nozzle sets the water out in all directions, with the pressures at least partially counter balancing them selves.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be in the same room as it when it activated. But with the proper nozzle design, firing the water out in opposing directions at the same time, it should greatly reduce the violence of the hose whipping.

• Chris Burns says:

man, waterguns don’t go “pew pew!”

they go SCHWSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

or FHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

• FishAroundMyAnkles_G says:

Well, to start with, fire hose is HEAVY. And it's usually kept in rolls. So do you have to unroll the whole roll before you shoot it and ensure the pile of hose isn't tangled? B/c I doubt this has enough pressure/weight to life the hose AND unroll it. Sure you could go with a smaller hose, but the pressure in the line if you reduce the diameter of hose must be high.

And just wait until one of these knocks out a fireman or a victim as it sails through the window. Or even worse, knocks something over to make the fire worse.

• KHAN!!!_GitEmSteveDa says:

I don't think this is supposed to be a unit that launches full sized hoses, but rather smaller hoses that work in conjunction with the larger ones. Of course I'm sucking this out of my thumb based on the image. I have to agree with you though… this could cause more problems in an already very problematic situation.

• simon says:

I like the design very much and I know that is just a concept so the problems that still exists could be solved:
    not the pressure of water is the problem (becourse how you mentioned the water comes out in all directions) but… if the hose is more than 30 meters long, filled with water its going to weigh about 100Kg or more and when it falls down it could be a serious problem

• FishAroundMyAnkles_GitEmSteveDave says:

Well, to start with, fire hose is HEAVY. And it’s usually kept in rolls. So do you have to unroll the whole roll before you shoot it and ensure the pile of hose isn’t tangled? B/c I doubt this has enough pressure/weight to life the hose AND unroll it. Sure you could go with a smaller hose, but the pressure in the line if you reduce the diameter of hose must be high.

• KHAN!!!_GitEmSteveDave says:

I don’t think this is supposed to be a unit that launches full sized hoses, but rather smaller hoses that work in conjunction with the larger ones. Of course I’m sucking this out of my thumb based on the image. I have to agree with you though… this could cause more problems in an already very problematic situation.

• four12 says:

I used to be a fire fighter… this will never make it out of the photo studio.

I don’t have the time to explain all of the reasons this has “fail” written all over it in big, neon letters.

• RolfeMocker says:

As a current firefighter and gadget lover, I’m torn. Cool looking piece of equipment to pull out of the cabinet. However, the nozzle’s gonna go flying all over the place once they start flowing water (runaway nozzle drills running thru my head).

• zippyflounder says:

As i have said over and over “DO YOUR RESEARCH”! One call to one of this gentlemans (or ladies) brethren would have either allowed them to spend time on something better or at least gain knowlage about the problem and make a better attempt. Design is either about solving problems WELL or to make a functioning solution pretty, this is niether.

BTW thanks for doing the gig, firefighter are unsung hero’s world wide.

• Minotaar says:

I love it when gadgets like this get posted. It gives us all an opportunity to bullsh*t about things we know nothing about, like firefighting.

Who knows if this is a viable or life saving device? All I can do is agree with the poster that it sounds really cool. Missile. Water cannon. Fire. yay!

• FrankenPC says:

I dunno…a heavy projectile being fired into a building then blasting water from both ends. What if someone is in there? “My god! We are almost there…{BAM}”

What I don’t get is, why not add a water activated, powdered gel while water is being blasted into the building? Then the water would stick like napalm. Stifling the fire a heck of a lot faster than water alone.

• dgeis says:

How about some sort of water-inflatable inside the nose cone that will blow up once water pressure is applied…either in a large pillow sort of shape or several water-filled arms…which would prevent the house from flying around as much or coming back through the window

• Eric says:

Could they not interview just 2 real firefighters before coming up with the render? Just 2 please? You would get a whole lot more insight on a design if you ask a professional in the field… (they might even have saved you the time of continuing with an idea that’s flaw ridden.)

• Marshall says:

I would most likely mount some sort of torch near the nozzle, and I would fill it was gas. Or…. something, and use it as a flame thrower. =/ LOL.

• M.S.W. says:

Indeed this device may fail in providing Fire Fighters with an useable device, but it can be reborn as a Military/SWAT grade High volume tear gas dispensor.

• R.W. says:

What I see as the main flaw in this design is that pressure has nothing to do with putting out fires (other than the required amount combat loss from friction & elevation and actually reach the fire). A body of fire can only be extinguished if the gallons per minute are there as well. Even at 400-500psi, a hose that is discharging 5 gallons per minute will not extinguish a fire. The exception being in an enclosed space, water expands 1700X when it turns to steam, and this process consumes a tremendous amount of BTUs. But breaking the window to insert this device would not allow a head of steam to build anyway.

R. W. – Fire Protection Engineering Major, University of New Haven

• altar hun says:

hi

please send me price list.(for Turkey İstanbul)

bst rgrds

Altar

• Martin says:

Have you ever seen a firetruck hose at full preasure? Those things reach far…further than this thing can probably shoot the end of a hose.

• Wow, what a nice super soaker :-) ! Where I can buy it?

• Most of the above is true. It's not very practical. My comment is that it might launch the type of hose shown in the pictures. It's obviously single jacket (industrial) hose. It's very light and not what is carried on engines. It's what you see hanging in breakboxes in factories and warehouses. It's very light and considered to be single-use. I'm guessing that it weighs about 1/4 what engines carry. The long and short is It won't shoot firehose anywhere near as high as a decent aerial can reach.

20 years volunteer
    3 years paid

20 years volunteer
    3 years paid

• doodle face.com says:

what happens if the fire travels down the hose line to the gas tank and it blows up