Screw Money

Rob Maslin had the clever idea to redesign bolt and screw heads that can be tightened and loosened with ordinary coins. Of course if this works as well as he thinks, I doubt all the hardware tool makers would sit idly by watching their profits sink.

Designer: Rob Maslin

• Brian says:

Waste of time.

• zippyflounder says:

not clever, not new, nuff said.

• Depray says:

Yeah. Part of the reason that Philips Screws became so popular was because before there was a machining method for screws they were made by hand so they were expensive. One of the man problems with them is people would steal the screws by unscrewing it with the chup change they had in there pocket. Philips were what torx were a few years back.

Pretty screws though.

• Mat says:

I think this is quite a good idea actually, maybe not for the average joiner but for things like flat pack furniture for people have little or no tools. or just cant be arsed to find them…

• Eric says:

I agree with both sides!!!! I see it as nothing new idea wise, however I do understand the usefulness in certain situations like flat pack furniture. Many times by friends I’ve been asked to build their new stuff because they “dont have a clue,” and I’ve definitly witnessed some “coins used as a tool” situations. Of course we wouldn’t want to hold the world together with these, it would become the next tire pressure cap! But still cool looking either way 😉 (ps I have bent coins doing this before too….what if I want a soda from a machine later?!)

• Chris says:

Dumb.

I am sorry.

This would only be useful in the above mentioned ‘flat packed furniture’ scenario. Good luck getting any serious tool guy to put down his screw-gun for a coin.

• jim says:

Pointless.
    Pointless.

ps. I wanna know what is wrong with the Australian 50c piece.

• blah says:

whats wrong is, that isnt an Australian 50c piece… not enough sides, and too sloped
      or do u mean as a screwdriver replacement? cause they actually work quite well…

• Jow says:

It’s a british 50p.

• PJ says:

It reminds me of how you could use a coin to open the back of an old imac to access the memory. Very handy.

• Free says:

you cannot get enough torque on a coin to do any serious tightening, so sometimes you will sacrifice security, but for what?

• MadCow says:

I must say… if you are a dude and don’t even have a tool bag… filled with at least a set of standard screwdrivers so you can do the simplest of jobs around the house… then please grow a pair and get some tools.

If you’re a college student and live on flat pack furniture then its also time to invest in some standard tools.

• Carl says:

its a waste of my energy even typing out how bad this ideas is.

• kiran says:

I can think of a lot of reasons this is a bad idea. Most notably that regardless of the tool, slot head screws cause slipping. With your hand so close to the screw, there is inevitable injury that will occur. I wouldn’t recommend anybody actually do this.

• Dan says:

over 40 years ago, when I was a kid, my parents had a Nanaola radio that had exactly this type of screw for the battery compartment.

It is a very good idea for compartments you want closed, but also be able to open without tools.

• GTI says:

There is a reason for hexagons head design. fitting angle in a tight space where you can only turn 30 degrees at a time. this design requires you to be able turn at every 180 degrees, and many other reasons, Although it is a simple looking like many other already selling single slot screws in the market in so many applications.

• The note provided that all principal and accrued interest
    was due in a single balloon payment at the end of the note term, and neither principal nor
    interest could be prepaid. Educating these customers in how to
    handle their tax affairs in the future can save them many thousands of dollars.
    Not sure if the IRS has a copy of a 1099 or W-2 wage