Dumbbells Make Getting Swoll A Lot Easier

If it weren’t for lack of motivation and the trouble managing a set of dumbbells, I’d be one buff guy, for serious ya’ll! The Revolution Dumbbell enables you to digitally adjust weight by rotating a dial and pushing a couple buttons. Inside are tiny balls that spin. The faster they spin, the more weight is generated. No mention on how much energy would be required to power such a novel idea but that’s just all in the logistics. I need this now.

Designer: Sang-Hoon Lee

• zippyflounder says:

Damn it all do your research its INERTIA, not weight…the weight remains the same unless you acclerate the object…What in effect this piece of fluff is a gryo, and a tiny whimpy one at that….here read a bit before you render.

• Adam says:

Is it worth mentioning that the law of conservation of mass makes this impossible? No? Ok. The only way to “generate” weight would be to increase the pull of gravity on a mass. I don’t think these dumbbells do that. Spinning up a mass will certainly generate rotational inertia, but that won’t increase resistance for weightlifting movements.

I guess this is why engineers shouldn’t read design blogs. :(

• zippyflounder says:

no adam thats why designers should do a bit of research before they fire up the rino/photoshop. Its also a reason why a real designer pays attention to science and engineering….

• mariess says:

theirs a gyro thing called a powerball that has the same concept they are quite addictive.

• Berkana says:

Wrong concept; the powerball resists being turned; it does not resist being lifted. Gyroscopic reisistance only resists changing directions, but it does not make the thing any heavier.

If this pair of dumb-bells is intended to build your forearm’s twisting strength, it might work, but you can’t really expect it to build your biceps or do any conventional exercises with it.

• Is this supposed to be some sort of gyroscopic exercise tool? As the previous comment correctly states: you cant generate mass with this, but can generate momentum.
    As the owner of a powerball myself, im not sure how this would be a joy to use when there are two at the end of the handle, while you try to keep it under control.

It will also be an engineering marvel to keep both of the gyroscopes within phase of each other.

• IDME says:

As an engineer and designer, I can say that while cool looking, this is totally physically impossible.

• ModuleS says:

I been following YD for the last 2-3 years ever since it started and it’s interesting how the site has grown and attracts a large demographic of people. We got engineers visiting a design site and giving their expertise! This is very useful information for me.

• you says:

it doesn’t make any sense. If you’ve already known that something is impossible and even against existing physical rules, is your dessign still a design? I think it is just bullshit.

• prodmod says:

Hmm. I agree that you arent able to “add weight” this way. But I like the idea of a digitally controlled and motorized “powerball-like” device. As previous commenters mentioned the powerball creates a gyroscopic effect which offers resistance to motion. I think it helps with tennis elbow? also it is pretty cool to feel. And it is infact an exercise tool. If you move your arm or wave your hand you do feel resistance and are in fact excercizing, but you have to be rotating it, not just using it as a dumbbell.
    see a quote from powerball.com
    “NSD Powerball generates between 1 – 40lbs of resistance depending on rotor speed ..”

So I suggest the designer drops the dumbell weight lifting idea, keep the shape and style, and keep the motor. but I dont think you need little ball bearings. A spinning weight does just fine. If you had two seperately controlled spinning masses at each end and they were not matching speed you would have a weird effect which may or may not be comfortable. But you can always just lock the two spinning weights so that they are spun by one motor at the same speed.

and to prove the point that it does “add weight”, if you hold a power drill in your hand, does it feel heavier when to press the trigger? no, you just feel a quick jerk due to the inertia of the spinning mass.

• Greg says:

Wow can you believe this “Engineers” are using the word IMP*SSIBLE and C*N’T, a real Engineer should not use those words…they are limiting. I agree with prodmod “As usual I like fantastical designs, even if they dont work in the real world. I would still like to see this turned into some product even if its just a digitally contolled cylindrical powerball.”

Free your mind.

ps..respect to my Engineer brothers

• zippyflounder says:

Greg: Here is a thought, get in touch with the designer spend money on a working prototype (max out your credit cards doing so) and get back to us..ok. Engineers should and must call BS when we see something that flat out wrong. You should thank us for doing that (as a ID and a engineer) as we likely have saved your job, your life even.

• 하나가져와 운동좀하자

• T says:

Don’t be a moron

Also, don’t tell me that I CAN’T telepathically control objects. I don’t want you to say that’s it’s IMPOSSIBLE. Because, obviously, if I dream hard enough, I will eventually be able to move things with my mind.

• F-you says:

Greg, I think you might be confusing engineering with magic. Completely understandable since you are obviously a halfwit.

• RS08 says:

Wow… this is stupid

• Berkana says:

Emphasize the “Dumb” in dumbbells in this case.

• Berkana says:

I studied industrial design, and I also studied engineering. Why do designers think they can whip any product into a “design” by making it 1) digital, and 2) unnecessarily complicated? (in this case, by invoking non-existent or wrong science?) That is not the point of design. Any fool can say “poof! It’s digital!”. Any infomercial will show you how to make something unnecessarily complicated.

I’m shocked this designer’s instructors didn’t call him out on this. Shame on them.

• even if it does increase the mass (which i don’t see how that can happen), it isn’t practical.. this is just a simple design which is only useful for a very limited work out..

the design does look cool, but that is all there is to it…

• Will says:

Ironically I did ask many people about this concept, and they (all non-engineers, just product designers) said it made sense!

What you would get with this is similar to a POWERBALL. Like a Powerball, it won’t increase in weight but create a rotational force.

This design is cool, but impossible. You guys have to remember that product designers may be artistic, but have no real intelligence.

• abcT says:

I think it may be worth pointing out that a subset of excercises for which dumbells are used would involve rotation of the dumbell about an axis that is not aligned with the dumbell axis. An example of such an excercise would be lifting of the dumbell from arm relaxed (axis horizontal) through 90 deg arm bend (axis vertical) to bicep fully contracted (axis horizontal). This motion would generate a resistive couple, increasing the work required (although the majority of the additional muscular requirement may be unlikely to come from the biceps/triceps.

I am also an engineer and do agree with above comments insofar as the product is unlikely to function as the designer intended and that it would be helpful if the designer had a more thorough grounding in engineering/mechanics in order to avoid wasted effort. I do, however, disagree with the way this was highlighted in this thread. As engineers we should both understand that product designers may posess talents that are outside of our own expertise and that an agressive approach is unlikely to convince a designer to improve their understanding of engineering principles

• julian says:

this actually is possible and has been tested. the large hadron collider speeds partials near the speed of light, when this happens they gain mass becouse they gain mass they gain wight. so if there are engineers here, you got it work with lack of imagination. if you speed up an object near light speed it gains mass. for a dumbbell it would only something inside it would need to be accelerated just a fraction of the seed of light to give a few pound increase. everything seems impossible before it is done.

• Cynthia Minnaar is a full-time internet marketer and owner of She invites you to visit her internet
    marketing training website for more link building
    tips. Learning to do business online is just another skill that can be acquired in the same way we acquire other skills.
    After so much spent or so many visits, offer a free product or
    percent off.

• Since many men and women are mindful that keeping up
    with your healthy weight range has several emotional and physical benefits.
    Believe it or not, many dieters claimed that you can see
    the result in less than a week; you can actually loss
    1 to 3 pounds each day. The HCG diet is a diet plan comprising of the intake of HCG with a diet plan that was
    created by ATW Simeons almost 60 years ago.