Rotterdam Cube

Taking a page from Apple’s big-glass-cube school of retail architecture, developer Multi Development and The Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) presented a multi-use concept design. This design is punctuated by the use of massive sphere recesses where people can reflect on the empty space in their souls, compelling them to try and find happiness through consumption. Located in the heart of Rotterdam, construction for this massive retail/residence/office space is scheduled to begin in 2011 and opening in 2013.

Architect: OMA [ Via: Yatzer ]

• JT says:

“compelling them to try and find happiness through consumption” <- No words.

• zippyflounder says:

hyperconsumption…one bigg asses energy sucking space with a hole in the center….love the duplicity.

• MINIX00 says:

cool idea… great look..

• Freshome says:

Until 2013 is a lot of time …

• Shiella says:

Look so sophisticated…Great!

• mike says:

only a vision….

• Richard says:

I’m starting to notice that most people who comment on these designs are a bit bitter.

I think it looks great, but a place ….

” where people can reflect on the empty space in their souls”

– whoever wrote that is a bit ridiculous – and i doubt it’s gonna make people wanna shop more.

Look at the possible light advantages (disadvantages?)

• I appreciate your comment, though calling me “ridiculous” sure sounds a little “bitter” to me.

My statement about “empty spaces in their souls” was a comment on the current state of consumerism in the world. Architects are being hired by developers to destroy organically grown city centers with glass air conditioned palaces of consumption. This design is a perfect example of this direction. I use humor as a vehicle to deliver my opinions on social issues and the corporatisation of the worlds markets.

Thanks for reading.

• Kathleen says:

As an aside, you may want to be careful about how you use humor on the internet. There is a huge lack of context out here, so what you may think is a wry humorous jab to the system may be taken in all seriousness by someone else and thus result in misunderstandings.

• Jonathan says:

I think Anthony James is spot on, I mean, it’s totally true, being an Urban Design student myself, we’re often pushed to do stuff like that…to…how you say…’glorify’ consumerism. ::rolls eyes:: I just want to design great places for people to enjoy, not sneakily influence them to spend more on useless stuff. I really don’t like this OMA building. I’m against Liebeskind and OMA in general, because I don’t feel they enliven a city with their buildings. True, they push boundaries, try new territories and play with new materials, but in the end their buildings or city designs do not foster livability and, very important to me, cozyness. The general population does not wish to live in or near such cold glassy/concrete and sculptural sillyness. They want cozyness, romantic elements, human-scale developments. Basically they want to feel at home…and OMA and like architects do not deliver on that front. Ok, rant over. I do like A. J’s humor though. ::chuckles:: Moar plz!

• Rosemary says:

loved the design! keep on the gr8 work!

• Eric says:

As with everything that gets made, it’s not for everyone. I love the design, I’ll shop there any day.

• James says:

Mr.James is right on. This is an interesting exploration of needless want. The blurring of real and digital is so intense that these rendering are really all we need to explore this one liner. A hole in a glass cube. Void trapped in a solid is already available in the FLW’s Guggenheim. The rest of this is just standard floor plates stacked around that knit core. Why waste the time and energy building it – We get it.

• asdf says:

because there’s a demand for it