No Strings Attached

Introducing the Hyper Touch Guitar. From the mind of Max Battaglia at Givingshape Design Studio, this unorthodox design replaces strings with a multi-touch screen, allowing the user to adjust the number of “strings” and frets, as well as tuning and sound effects. A wireless command center that permits endless customization and infinite possibilities of expression.

Designer: Max Battaglia

• Dana Eddy says:

“What could this strange device be? When I touch it… it gives forth the sound… It's got wires that vibrate and make music…. what can this thing be that I've found?” – Rush

• john says:

For when you just want to practice…guitar hero.

• JARI says:

its a guitar for whimps.

• Kevatasu says:

Hey all- if you can control the number and tuning of strings, couldn't this instrument be a 6-string, 12-string, banjo, mandolin, bass, ukulele, sitar …?

• Mike says:

The end of buzzing frets, sticky nuts, worn tuners, wavy necks, busted strings, galled saddles, ……. wait, was there a downside??

• Aaron says:

So did any one say that the goal with this was to replace traditional guitars? Didn't think so. It might not ever become a standard but its a fun little toy. Quit being butthurt guitar purist and have fun with something new, i mean i thought music in general was supposed to be fun and exciting in the first place. When did it become a bunch of old men yelling at kids to get off their proverbial lawn.

• RobFonner says:

Something that will come and go…

• Lmwodo says:

i love this its what the designers of the miso should have done

• Lmwodo says:

i love this its what the designers of the miso should have done

• D-13 says:

Free Hat!

• Katie says:

This made me die a little inside.
    I don't play guitar myself, but I wouldn't have any respect for a band whose guitarist played a guitar like this.

• Graw!!! says:

As a guitar player I hate it. As a guitar player who also records music with a midi controller modelled after a piano keyboard, I like the idea of using it as an alternative for that. But……as a guitar player I hate it.

• Graw!!! says:

• gimo says:

have you never heard of programming

• Shrik666 says:

All of us have heard of programming but the main and the most important point is – Musicians will lose their job as “guitar players”. As a guitar player myself, I don’t think guitarists would love to buy this thing. It’s a great technology FOR SURE but again it’s programmed and not the actual guitar sound/feel. The more natural sound you have, the better the whole track sounds…This is my belief!

I think because of this advancement of technology, everything in this world becomes easier to work on then becomes more complex, but then music has to be feel-based with the true sound of an instrument rather than a digital one.

• Shrik666 says:

• Shrik666 says:

• Shrik666 says:

• staplegun says:

We have electric pianos (keyboards) and violins, and drumsets. Those are perfectly acceptable, so what's wrong with this?

• ben says:

there are electric instruments and they are convenient for most, but musicians prefer to have a real piano, a real violin or a real drumkit, when theres less electronics involved it seems like more of the music is just your own personal skill, it will always be better to have an acoustic guitar or an old fashioned electric and being able to play it well

• Nick says:

because we all ready have electric guitars

• staplegun says:

• ben says:

• Nick says:

because we all ready have electric guitars

• Sologuy says:

Sold, That guitar now owns a part of my soul

• Sologuy says:

Sold, That guitar now owns a part of my soul

• Apollo says:

Because we also have electric guitars that are on the same scale as the electric violin. the guitar still has strings it has that feel of playing a guitar. I’ve been playing for 14 years now and I love they way my guitar feels. I dont want to join a band and use a guitar hero guitar.

• Apollo says:

• Kenny Kohl says:

I don't like this for the fact that strumming individual strings would be incredibly difficult.

• Kenny Kohl says:

• Gregory Barreto says:

Idiots, this is more a synth for people who's guitar's their main instrument. It's not meant to replace the guitar in any way. I could see this as in invaluable tool in the studio or even live. Cool stuff guys.

• Gregory Barreto says:

• LESPAUL70 says:

Well…can we spell "GUITAR HERO"? After this initial thought wears off, this is a cool idea in the hands of a studio player or someone who likes to see where the guitar can go (think Les Paul) this is probably where it's at for them. Beginner guitar players need not apply. Robert Moog (father of the synthsizer) once said upon its unveiling, "Right now, musicians aren't sure what to do with this new sound. It will take them a few years to integrate this into mainstream music". It is possible this could be the next generation guitar players' dream come true. Remains to be seen.

• LESPAUL70 says:

Well…can we spell “GUITAR HERO”? After this initial thought wears off, this is a cool idea in the hands of a studio player or someone who likes to see where the guitar can go (think Les Paul) this is probably where it's at for them. Beginner guitar players need not apply. Robert Moog (father of the synthsizer) once said upon its unveiling, “Right now, musicians aren't sure what to do with this new sound. It will take them a few years to integrate this into mainstream music”. It is possible this could be the next generation guitar players' dream come true. Remains to be seen.

• Jackson says:

I'm sure you would still have to take lessons and learn theory. It doesn't play the music for you, it's just a new concept so you don't have to buy an entirely new guitar just to get a couple of extra strings or frets, and buy new equipment to get different sounds. You still have to know what you're playing.

• Jimmy says:

Yeah, everything you just said.

• Joshua Thelonious Smith says:

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a horrible idea ??? Custom sound effects would be badass, and changing tunings and number of strings saves money and time in a matter of seconds. I think people are being a little too closed minded about this. Whether or not it actually catches on is how natural it sounds and feels but it definitely has potential.

• Joshua Thelonious Smith says:

• Jasper says:

It might be fun, I don't know. You could probably get some pretty cool new sounds of it. I doubt it'll replace a Telecaster into a Twin Reverb, or a Les Paul into a Marshall stack, but that's not what it's made for anyway. It can surely do lots of crazy atmospheric and synth effects no traditional guitar could ever do. I play keyboards and the difference between this and a normal guitar looks to me like the difference between a Roland Jupiter and a harpsichord. If it's not priced out of the market it could work wonders.

• Jasper says:

• Frankie says:

this is cool and all.. but why in the world would anyone play this over a real guitar?

• Frankie says:

• Ricardo says:

A idia legal, mas este produto no pode ser considerado um instrumento musical, pois no tem componente fsico que emita vibraes sonoras, tipo cordas, membranas, palhetas, tubos, etc.
    A partir do momento que se tira este corpo vibratrio perde-se a essncia da msica que propriamente dita a SENSIBILIDADE utilizada na execuo de peas musicais.
    Ao desenvolver um projeto deste deve-se tomar cuidado ao tipo de pblico/usurio que se quer atingir!

The idea is cool, but this product can not be considered a musical instrument because it has no physical component that sends sound vibrations, like strings, membranes, straws, pipes, etc..
    From the moment you take this vibrating body loses the essence of music that is itself used in implementing the SENSITIVITY of musical pieces.
    When developing a project that should be taken care of the type of public / user you want to achieve!

• Jason says:

I see both sides. But, you realize a huge flaw when you try to STRUM IT FOR THE FIRST TIME. Are you supposed to glide your finger over the touch screen? How often does anyone want to change # of frets or strings? And there is already real guitars that blend digital options. Gibson has a self tuning guitar, Other brands have built in sound effects, there is already wireless… If you ask me, I would never replace a wooden neck for an injection molded plastic one. Other people here have mentioned guitar hero and that is what this would be like. I am all for customizing guitars and conceptualizing, but you need wood, and strings. Thats about it. This has neither. Its plastic. Which means it doesnt hold up over time unlike a wooden guitar which gets BETTER over time. How about a real guitar with a touch sensitive wooden fretboard with thin touch membrane overlay? You need to push the envelope with material while improving the experience. This takes away the experience, and EVERYTHING is TOUCH nowadays, its played out… I like synth ideas for guitars but this one is a miss.

• Jason says:

• Jason says:

there is nothing better that the feeling of real strings vibrating over magnetic pickups amplifying the true sound of a guitar. Just listen to zepplin, santana, pink floyd. I wonder why no one makes real classics anymore, maybe has something to do with all technology brought into the game. We lose sight of making REAL music.

• Jason says:

• truthfully its a cool idea, but the strings have a big play in how a guitar is played, i mean yeah it looks great sitting in your living room but can you shred on that? no, theres no strings to individually pick its just a big rounded bump. you cant pick an individual string or even know what string you're playing because its all one chunk and not 6 individual strings. i think this is a great idea for another type of instrument, if it has some type of unique sound than its definitely worth having around as a model of guitars, if it doesnt do anything that a guitar or synth wouldn't do then its sadly just a nice house decoration

• StarShine333 says:

The touch pad technology can allow for a new technique of music, because it can do things a stringed guitar can't. New music and new styles can be produced. Also, it may turn out to be easier than guitar, allowing for more people to experience music. Embrace new instruments. It's a chance for music to grow!

• Whiskey Jack says:

"Sound of Muzak" from Porcupine Tree. I'm depressed as shit now, cause it's coming true.

• Whiskey Jack says:

“Sound of Muzak” from Porcupine Tree. I'm depressed as shit now, cause it's coming true.

• contempt4gravy says:

It's silly and bizarrely paranoid to fear this gadget replacing the guitar. Do acoustic pianos no longer exist because of the electronic keyboard? Did V-drums kill the conventional shells and skins? I'm looking forward to a functional version of this thing!

One side of the comments insist that, once it actually exists, this thing would be difficult to play. Others say it would be easy and eclipse the need to put the hard work in and learn an instrument.

Does anyone have a compelling case for why digital instruments and conventional instruments are an either/or concept?